Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Browns pick Kizer to start 3rd preseason game, looking to trade Osweiler

In addition, Osweiler is not expected to play in the game, so it looks like, barring an unlikely trade, that he's going to be released before the start of the season with the Browns ready to eat the contract.

The Cleveland Browns, after naming rookie DeShone Kizer as the starting quarterback for their third preseason game, have renewed their attempt to trade veteran Brock Osweiler, a league source tells ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Browns coach Hue Jackson named Kizer as the starter for Saturday's preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a statement released Wednesday morning, saying the former Notre Dame signal-caller is "certainly positioning himself well to earn the starting job heading into the regular season.''

Osweiler, who is due a guaranteed salary of $16 million for 2017, is not expected to play Saturday, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Asked whether he would ask for a trade, Osweiler told ESPN, "That's something I'm going to stay away from."

"I've told you guys all along, I'm always going to just focus on the things that I can control," Osweiler said. "Right now, that's being a great teammate, that's continuing to prepare, be a pro, stay in the playbook and continue to strive to be a better player every day."

The Browns acquired Osweiler in May as a throw-in on a deal that sent Houston's second round draft pick in 2018 to Cleveland. The Browns listened to trade offers then, but they kept Osweiler after not finding a deal they liked.

Kizer said the opportunity to start Saturday night in Tampa Bay was "awesome."

"Now it's about whatever I can do to go out there and compete and have the success I've had the last couple games," Kizer said.

Osweiler played four series and two quarters in the Browns' first two preseason games. The first-team offense -- with some offensive line backups -- did not score any points in his five possessions. Osweiler completed 12 of 22 passes for 67 yards, 3 yards per attempt.

Kizer, meanwhile, went 19-for-31 for 258 yards with 1 touchdown and 5 sacks in 2 games. The second-round pick from Notre Dame guided nine drives and scored 23 points, all the points coming against backup defenders.

"[Kizer] has made a lot of progress by investing the time necessary to learn our offense, working hard to improve on his fundamentals while also effectively moving the offense in preseason games," Jackson said in a statement released by the team. "Development is so important for a young quarterback, this is the next step he needs to take and he deserves this opportunity.

"We are very excited about seeing DeShone in the role of starter for this week, as he is certainly positioning himself well to earn the starting job heading into the regular season."

"As awesome as it is, it just means I have to try to work harder," Kizer said.

Osweiler said he had no regrets about how he approached the Browns position.

"They know the quarterback and the teammate that I am," Osweiler said.

In other moves, the Browns placed linebacker Tank Carder (knee) and offensive lineman Matt McCants (ankle) on injured reserve and waived defensive back Justin Currie (ankle) with an injury designation.

Carder, who was competing for a starting role and had started both preseason games, suffered a torn ACL in the first quarter of Monday's game against the Giants and will need season-ending surgery.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...brock-osweiler

Weren't there reports the veterans of the team felt Osweiller should be the starter?

Broncos for a 7th round pick (conditional lol). Elway gets Brock back on a massive discount with the Browns paying for his salary. Brock is released by the end of camp, just for jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Broncos for a 7th round pick (conditional lol). Elway gets Brock back on a massive discount with the Browns paying for his salary. Brock is released by the end of camp, just for jokes.
    That's not how this works. As a matter of fact even the article gets it wrong:
    The Browns acquired Osweiler in May as a throw-in on a deal that sent Houston's second round draft pick in 2018 to Cleveland.
    Osweiler was not a "throw-in". Rather, the Texans paid the Browns a 2nd round pick to eat his contract. Unlike a salary bonus, a guaranteed salary is paid by the team the player is on after a trade.

Nobody is going to take Osweiler off of the Browns without them paying the other team to do so with picks. His non-guaranteed salaries contract is equally ridiculous, so a team interested in Osweiler would do better offering him a new contract as free agent.

Since they're paying Osweiler $16M whether he is on the roster or released, I'd like to know what roster bubble guy is worth it to cut the Brocketship. I know, sunk cost fallacy, but still.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 08-23-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Weren't there reports the veterans of the team felt Osweiller should be the starter?
    Osweiler should start, this has disaster written all over.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Osweiler should start, this has disaster written all over.
    Osweiler has disaster written all over him. The Browns need to know what they have in Kizer heading into next year's draft.

Rookie QBs starting are typically a recipe for disaster. They just used a 2nd rounder on Kizer and they're already possibly looking for a QB in next years draft is what you're saying?

Rookie QBs starting are typically a recipe for disaster. They just used a 2nd rounder on Kizer and they're already possibly looking for a QB in next years draft is what you're saying?
    They're looking for a QB period. Maybe it's Kizer. But there's no point in starting Osweiler.

Let's hope Hue Jackson is a player's coach because starting a rookie over a veteran the rest of the veteran's believe is better solely to tank for a better QB in the future will not endear him to his players.

Give Kizer the experience and see if he looks like he has the traits of a qb you want to continue to invest in.

And yea I'd absolutely not bat an eye at them taking a QB at the top of the draft next year. It's supposed to be a very good qb draft and that's what you need in the NFL to have continued success.

And if you end up with two cheap starting level QBs, great! There's no shortage of teams willing to send over picks hand over fist in order to get a Qb who will show some semblance of being capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

The only reason they'd start osweiler is if they are gunning for no 1 overall.

Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    They're looking for a QB period. Maybe it's Kizer. But there's no point in starting Osweiler.
    With such a young team with no urgency to win but to see improvements in all areas especially at QB, Kizer should definitely start and will gain needed experience that won't happen from sitting on the bench. Once he gets more comfortable with the offense and his receivers strength and weaknesses, he's going to be very good. He very good at seeing opening and running with the ball but damn it someone on the staffs needs to tell him to slide and not take the pound like a running back . He needs to be ready for the onslaught of pass rushes but handles it well for the most part. I would only play him with the first team only going forward, let Brock run the other units. Garrett holding his own, putting pressure but I want to see more of him too

Being elite is not easy cause you will be hated on but that's me

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    Give Kizer the experience and see if he looks like he has the traits of a qb you want to continue to invest in.

And yea I'd absolutely not bat an eye at them taking a QB at the top of the draft next year. It's supposed to be a very good qb draft and that's what you need in the NFL to have continued success.

And if you end up with two cheap starting level QBs, great! There's no shortage of teams willing to send over picks hand over fist in order to get a Qb who will show some semblance of being capable.

He has the qualities to be a successful starter in this league and the experience will only help. Sitting on the bench makes no sense for a young team like the Browns.

Being elite is not easy cause you will be hated on but that's me

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Let's hope Hue Jackson is a player's coach because starting a rookie over a veteran the rest of the veteran's believe is better solely to tank for a better QB in the future will not endear him to his players.
    There are barely any veterans on that team. 75 of their 90 players have three or fewer years of experience. Pretty much only their OL and CB groups have veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    There are barely any veterans on that team. 75 of their 90 players have three or fewer years of experience. Pretty much only their OL and CB groups have veterans.
    That's a good point. However that could also mean those youngsters look up to the few veterans they have more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast