Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

NL MVP discussion

Who do ya have?

edit: can a mod fix the title?

Stanton will likely win it.

Harper would probably deserve it if he hadn't gotten hurt
    Votto won't get the attention he should

I'm just waiting for someone to break away over these next six weeks.

Rendon, Goldie, Scherzer, and Blackmon deserve attention, as they could place themselves into that group.

Stanton or Goldy.

A few weeks ago I would have said Goldschmidt, hands down. But after the HR-rampage that Stanton has been on lately, he's going to get a significant amount of votes.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Its a wide open race in my eyes that Stanton is probably winning at this second. With a hot September, Goldschmidt or Blackmon could win it as well. Harper had a chance but that's most likely gone now with his injury.

I look at two things- the individual players stats, but also who is surrounding that player. Because, after all, this is the Most Valuable Player. With the Dodgers for instance, I have a hard time putting Seager in as the MVP because they have three players in the top 10 of WAR and another in the top 20.

I still say Goldy. In WAR, he is the only one in the race who don't have serious help behind them. The next Dback in WAR is Lamb at 27 then Peralta at 29.

Stanton is tied 3rd in WAR and has Ozuna at 17, plus Realmuto at 22, Yelich at 24.

Anthony Rendon leads in WAR, but is followed in the top 30 by Harper (another MVP candidate), Murphy and Zimmermann

Corey Seager is also tied third in WAR, but has two other Dodgers with him in the top 10- Turner and Taylor- and Cody Bellinger is in the top 20.

Blackmon rounds out the three-way tie for third in WAR, but also has Nolan Arenado who can be in the MVP discussion as well.

Cringe worthy response Thomas

It's Stanton.

His 55+ homers will sway the votes.

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    Cringe worthy response Thomas
    No more cringeworthy than your threads and predictions are

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I look at two things- the individual players stats, but also who is surrounding that player. Because, after all, this is the Most Valuable Player. With the Dodgers for instance, I have a hard time putting Seager in as the MVP because they have three players in the top 10 of WAR and another in the top 20.

I still say Goldy. In WAR, he is the only one in the race who don't have serious help behind them. The next Dback in WAR is Lamb at 27 then Peralta at 29.

Stanton is tied 3rd in WAR and has Ozuna at 17, plus Realmuto at 22, Yelich at 24.

Anthony Rendon leads in WAR, but is followed in the top 30 by Harper (another MVP candidate), Murphy and Zimmermann

Corey Seager is also tied third in WAR, but has two other Dodgers with him in the top 10- Turner and Taylor- and Cody Bellinger is in the top 20.

Blackmon rounds out the three-way tie for third in WAR, but also has Nolan Arenado who can be in the MVP discussion as well.
    It's an interesting perspective, which is very contrary to those that have always required players to be on a winning team to win.

I am of the mind that team mates just don't affect your performance that much in this game.

I look at a few things when considering MVP

WAR (both f and rWAR)
    wRC+ for position players, and ERA- and FIP- for pitchers
    WPA
    Opportunities

A few things.

WAR is great, and if one player has like a 10 WAR, and nobody else tops 7. Then that's probably your MVP and it's not worth going much deeper. He was clearly above the rest.

But when you have several players in the same ranges (5-7 WAR for examples)
    Look at the position players for starters. Someone is a 170 wRC+, but with poor defense in right field. And another is a 140 wRC+, with good defense in center field. I'm likely leaning the 170. I value that offensive output over 162 games more. But that may also just be me.

WPA is way under valued in MVP discussions in my opinion. It was almost enough to make Bryant lose the MVP for me last year.
    A guy like Rizzo is constantly near the top in the league in this, even when he is having a rough year. He just keeps coming through when his team needs him.
    Harper and Trout dominate in this stat (as does Votto).
    WPA is what would put Trout in as the MVP at this point in the season for me. He is so valuable for the Angels in the games that they do win.

And then opportunities. It's one of the reasons why I understood those against Kershaw last year. When you only start 21 games, even if you did decimate the competition. It's hard to see a lot of value there. It's why relievers almost never deserve to be in the MVP discussion. They just don't get enough outs. It's also why Trout may not deserve the MVP, missing 40 games is nothing to laugh at.
    But if you miss some time, but still manage to be more productive than anyone else, than it doesn't matter. It's when two players are neck and neck. Then I'll lean toward the guy that didn't need a replacement level player to take innings or PA for him.