Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well the benefit he had with Murphy is that he makes a ton of contact. Most hitters Long has probably coached don't strike out less than 10% of the time. The major problem with Murphy was his inability to turn that constant contact into a consistent hard hit %. Swinging and making contact with everything isn't necessarily a compliment either. It was in Murphy's case once he made those adjustments because he was able to cover all parts of the plate and square up the ball with more regularity than he did through most of his tenure with the Mets.

Murphy certainly deserves a lot of credit. He probably was in the batting cage and taking extra time in BP making the adjustments but if Long doesn't see that in his swing, he presumably never becomes the player he's become. Players don't get significantly better in their 30s. It's not how it works.

Yeah Granderson was good before coming to the Yankees and YS certainly helped him but Granderson was putting up similar numbers on the road during his time with the Yankees as well.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&year=2011&t=b
    Not sure how I helped Curtis Granderson

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Hey hey hey! ...don't sell yourself short, man.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Yankee Stadium is always beneficial to left handed pull hitters with power.

Dominos just launched a 2 run bomb into the Wrigley night.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah. It would be disingenuous to say everyone knew Murph's hot hand would continue. But it's also wrong to say it began in Washington.

A lot of people were saying the Mets should pony up based on what we saw in Los Angeles and Cbicago in the post season. I wasn't one of them. [b]How many times have we seen a batter get hot for a month or two following a new stance, a new approach, only to see him return to previous levels?[b]

You can't always know these things.
    I think it was in 2009 or 2010 that Murphy hit about 10 HR from mid August thru September. He did not hit 30 + HR the following year.

Edit: Okay I was off. It was 5 HR in one month, September, after hitting 7 HR over 5 months, April - August.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-14-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah. It would be disingenuous to say everyone knew Murph's hot hand would continue. But it's also wrong to say it began in Washington.

A lot of people were saying the Mets should pony up based on what we saw in Los Angeles and Cbicago in the post season. I wasn't one of them. How many times have we seen a batter get hot for a month or two following a new stance, a new approach, only to see him return to previous levels?

You can't always know these things.
    I remember fans in this forum saying even after Murphy's heroics in the postseason that it was time to move on from him. Not even to sign him as a hedge to a potential David Wright injury in 2016, 2017, etc. And like you said we've seen plenty of guys make adjustments, get hot, and come back to Earth after teams develop a more detailed scouting report on how to deal with a player's new found success.

It happens all the time. The only difference with Murphy is that he's never sacrificed his ability to make contact while developing more power, which is certainly an exception and not the rule.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-14-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Yankee Stadium is always beneficial to left handed pull hitters with power.
    YS = YoungStuna

Well the benefit he had with Murphy is that he makes a ton of contact. Most hitters Long has probably coached don't strike out less than 10% of the time. The major problem with Murphy was his inability to turn that constant contact into a consistent hard hit %. Swinging and making contact with everything isn't necessarily a compliment either. It was in Murphy's case once he made those adjustments because he was able to cover all parts of the plate and square up the ball with more regularity than he did through most of his tenure with the Mets.

Murphy certainly deserves a lot of credit. He probably was in the batting cage and taking extra time in BP making the adjustments but if Long doesn't see that in his swing, he presumably never becomes the player he's become. Players don't get significantly better in their 30s. It's not how it works.

Yeah Granderson was good before coming to the Yankees and YS certainly helped him but Granderson was putting up similar numbers on the road during his time with the Yankees as well.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&year=2011&t=b
    I have to disagree with that. Baseball is probably the one sport where it does happen somewhat frequently... older players making an adjustment and becoming great out of nowhere. It certainly doesn't happen in other sports nearly as much, but it does in baseball. There are tons of examples of this happening throughout the history of the sport. It's really not as uncommon as you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I have to disagree with that. Baseball is probably the one sport where it does happen somewhat frequently... older players making an adjustment and becoming great out of nowhere. It certainly doesn't happen in other sports nearly as much, but it does in baseball. There are tons of examples of this happening throughout the history of the sport. It's really not as uncommon as you think.
    In most cases, its guys who get a late career start where that happens or a guy has a career renaissance overseas. It's extremely rare that a player his first 7 years in the league is an average to slightly above average player and after that turns into a MVP candidate. The only time that was more prevalent in baseball was during the steroid era and we know why that's the case.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.

About Grandy... I'm just not buying into Long turning him into a better player. He had one great year for the Yankees. Other than that, he bailed out to pull more balls and hit more homers, but his overall effectiveness was mostly the same.

Murphy is a better example of a player who really transformed himself into becoming a much better player and while I do acknowledge and Long may have helped a bit, I give most of the credit to Murphy similar how I would for other players who broke out at a random point in their careers (Justin Turner, Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, Jake Arrieta, JD Martinez, etc... just to name a few). I'm sure all those guys received some sort of tip from a coach and then worked on their craft and transformed themselves as players. The same thing happened with Murphy. No reason to give Long and extra credit compared to any other coach that may have helped players become successful in the past. The hard and rare part is when the player takes that tip or suggestion and uses it to become better and long term sustainable way. Murphy has done this.

Kevin Long gets a small amount of credit for helping him a bit as a coach should. I highly doubt the Nats had much to do with it since his success started occurring as a Met as we are all aware of. But it is Murphy who deserves almost all the credit for working on his craft and turning it into sustainable production. It is Sandy's failure that he failed to recognition this and let him walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

.879 OPS in September for Smith

.954 OPS for Rosario in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    .879 OPS in September for Smith

.954 OPS for Rosario in September.

Damn yeah!

.298/.365/.617/.982 for Smith

.343/.490/.571/.1.061 for Nimmo.

Rosario and Smith

We offered Murphy a QO...which, whether you like it or not, was the smart thing to do.

It's a ton of money for one year, and he himself didn't even believe his transformation was legit yet...evidenced by taking a 3 year deal nowhere near what he ended up being worth.

Had he taken it...he was looking at 16 mil that year and probably 20 mil the following 2 years...which means he cost himself 20 million over the course of the 3 years.

Rosario is the fastest SS as per MLB

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast