Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Murphy's slash line In the 2nd half of 2015-.284/.313/.490/.803

2016-.347/.390/.595/.985
    That's a 182 points higher in his ops

2017-.321/.382/.546/.928
    That's 125 points higher than his magical run with the Mets.

Looks to me that the hitting instructor for the Nationals is getting the more out of Murphy than Long did.

I am of the belief that player development is a huge part of a franchise success and is on going, while some don't. They believe their talent isn't cultivated but is in fact independent of who is teaching them.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post

2016-.347/.390/.595/.985

2017-.321/.382/.546/.928

Looks to me that the hitting instructor for the Nationals is getting the more out of Murphy than Long did.

I am of the belief that player development is a huge part of a franchise success and is on going, while some don't. They believe their talent isn't cultivated but is in fact independent of who is teaching them.
    Please tell me you saw Murphy hitting from mid August 2015 through the end of the post season similar to the way he's hitting now.

Please acknowledge that there was a debate whether Murphy could continue hitting the way he did toward the end of 2015 after he signed a new contract.

Please tell me you're not trying to say that Murphy the slugger on the Nationals came out of nowhere and was merely a product of a brilliant Nationals' player development program.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Please tell me you saw Murphy hitting from mid August 2015 through the end of the post season similar to the way he's hitting now.

Please acknowledge that there was a debate whether Murphy could continue hitting the way he did toward the end of 2015 after he signed a new contract.

Please tell me you're not trying to say that Murphy the slugger on the Nationals came out of nowhere and was merely a product of a brilliant Nationals' player development program.
    The numbers don't lie.
    He never hit like what he doing now unless you think that his torrid 5 games in the playoffs was indicative of the type of player he was going to be. .571/.591/1.381/1.972

His 1st 4 games in the 2015 playoffs
    .235/.235/.588/.824

His last 5 games
    .150/.320/.150/.470

So what do you have?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

The numbers don't lie.
    He never hit like what he doing now unless you think that his torrid 5 games in the playoffs was indicative of the type of player he was going to be. .571/.591/1.381/1.972

His 1st 4 games in the 2015 playoffs
    .235/.235/.588/.824

His last 5 games
    .150/.320/.150/.470

So what do you have?
    What do I have? I have you cherry picking data to dishonestly cling to a point you don't even believe in.

But you knew that.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Murphy's last two months in 2015: .296/.321/.533 (133 wRC+) 6.6 K%, .282 BABIP

Murphy postseason 2015: .328/.391/.724 off of the game's best pitchers (2 HR off Kershaw, Lester, Grienke, Arrieta)

The transformation into one of the game's elite hitters began on the Mets and they failed to realize this. It has cost them big time.

Same with Justin Turner, but the transformation was less obvious. In Turner's case though, it was inexcusable to DFA him.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post

Murphy postseason 2015: .328/.391/.724 off of the game's best pitchers (2 HR off Kershaw, Lester, Grienke, Arrieta)

The transformation into one of the game's elite hitters began on the Mets and they failed to realize this. It has cost them big time.

Same with Justin Turner, but the transformation was less obvious. In Turner's case though, it was inexcusable to DFA him.
    Aug/September-.296/.321/.533/.854

2016-.347/.390/.595/.985
    that's .131 difference

2017-.321/.382/.546/.928
    .074 difference

Thanks for illustrating my point.

The Nationals did nothing to further Justin Turner's career. I think that you should only tip your cap to them for Murphy.

What do I have? I have you cherry picking data to dishonestly cling to a point you don't even believe in.

But you knew that.
    So you have nothing, that's all you had to write.

So you have nothing, that's all you had to write.
    Keep thinking good thoughts.

If you're saying that the hitter Daniel Murphy is now didn't first surface in a Met uniform in late 2015, you're either blind or a liar.

Your call.

2016-.347/.390/.595/.985

2017-.321/.382/.546/.928

Nah, I don't think they have anything to do with it. I give Long 5% of the credit for probably giving him a tip that helped his swing mechanically to get in front and lift the ball. I give Murphy the other 95% of the credit for executing and perfecting his craft. Murphy would be raking no matter where he played, but I think Long helped him just a bit and there is a good reason why to believe it due to the context of the adjustments Murphy made aligning with the type of hitting coach Long is. Still, it's mostly Murphy. It usually is mostly about the player, not the coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

As for Turner, he has been on record saying that Marlon Byrd helped him learn how to lift the ball and hit for power. He took what he learned and applied it with the Dodgers. The truth about Murphy and Turner is they were always good pure hitters, but they just didn't hit for power. They learned out to get out in front of the ball without bailing out and lifting for power.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post

Yeah I agree. They really botched this especially with Murphy. I had a feeling this could happen, but at the time the Walker trade helped lessen the blow so my complaints were minimal.
    Marmolololololol

But anyway, Murphy is a FA again in 2019. We should try to resign him.
    Marmolololololol

And the thing with Murph was that it was all based on such a small sample. To say now that we knew with certainty that his transformation would continue is revisionist thinking, Monday morning QB-ing. I for one will admit I had my doubts. I wasn't angry when he signed with the Nats. I figured they bought high.

But i was wrong. He was the real deal.

I agree with Clay and FoC on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the thing with Murph was that it was all based on such a small sample. To say now that we knew with certainty that his transformation would continue is revisionist thinking, Monday morning QB-ing. I for one will admit I had my doubts. I wasn't angry when he signed with the Nats. I figured they bought high.

But i was wrong. He was the real deal.
    I agree.
    That's why I am tipping my hat.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast