Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 201
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,820
    Murphy's slash line In the 2nd half of 2015-.284/.313/.490/.803

    2016-.347/.390/.595/.985
    That's a 182 points higher in his ops

    2017-.321/.382/.546/.928
    That's 125 points higher than his magical run with the Mets.

    Looks to me that the hitting instructor for the Nationals is getting the more out of Murphy than Long did.

    I am of the belief that player development is a huge part of a franchise success and is on going, while some don't. They believe their talent isn't cultivated but is in fact independent of who is teaching them.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Murphy's slash line In the 2nd half of 2015-.284/.313/.490/.803

    2016-.347/.390/.595/.985
    That's a 182 points higher in his ops

    2017-.321/.382/.546/.928
    That's 125 points higher than his magical run with the Mets.

    Looks to me that the hitting instructor for the Nationals is getting the more out of Murphy than Long did.

    I am of the belief that player development is a huge part of a franchise success and is on going, while some don't. They believe their talent isn't cultivated but is in fact independent of who is teaching them.
    Please tell me you saw Murphy hitting from mid August 2015 through the end of the post season similar to the way he's hitting now.

    Please acknowledge that there was a debate whether Murphy could continue hitting the way he did toward the end of 2015 after he signed a new contract.

    Please tell me you're not trying to say that Murphy the slugger on the Nationals came out of nowhere and was merely a product of a brilliant Nationals' player development program.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,820
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Please tell me you saw Murphy hitting from mid August 2015 through the end of the post season similar to the way he's hitting now.

    Please acknowledge that there was a debate whether Murphy could continue hitting the way he did toward the end of 2015 after he signed a new contract.

    Please tell me you're not trying to say that Murphy the slugger on the Nationals came out of nowhere and was merely a product of a brilliant Nationals' player development program.
    The numbers don't lie.
    He never hit like what he doing now unless you think that his torrid 5 games in the playoffs was indicative of the type of player he was going to be. .571/.591/1.381/1.972

    His 1st 4 games in the 2015 playoffs
    .235/.235/.588/.824

    His last 5 games
    .150/.320/.150/.470

    So what do you have?


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Please tell me you saw Murphy hitting from mid August 2015 through the end of the post season similar to the way he's hitting now.

    Please acknowledge that there was a debate whether Murphy could continue hitting the way he did toward the end of 2015 after he signed a new contract.

    Please tell me you're not trying to say that Murphy the slugger on the Nationals came out of nowhere and was merely a product of a brilliant Nationals' player development program.
    The numbers don't lie.
    He never hit like what he doing now unless you think that his torrid 5 games in the playoffs was indicative of the type of player he was going to be. .571/.591/1.381/1.972

    His 1st 4 games in the 2015 playoffs
    .235/.235/.588/.824

    His last 5 games
    .150/.320/.150/.470

    So what do you have?
    What do I have? I have you cherry picking data to dishonestly cling to a point you don't even believe in.

    But you knew that.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    62,253
    Murphy's last two months in 2015: .296/.321/.533 (133 wRC+) 6.6 K%, .282 BABIP

    Murphy postseason 2015: .328/.391/.724 off of the game's best pitchers (2 HR off Kershaw, Lester, Grienke, Arrieta)

    The transformation into one of the game's elite hitters began on the Mets and they failed to realize this. It has cost them big time.

    Same with Justin Turner, but the transformation was less obvious. In Turner's case though, it was inexcusable to DFA him.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,820
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Murphy's last two months in 2015: .296/.321/.533 (133 wRC+) 6.6 K%, .282 BABIP

    Murphy postseason 2015: .328/.391/.724 off of the game's best pitchers (2 HR off Kershaw, Lester, Grienke, Arrieta)

    The transformation into one of the game's elite hitters began on the Mets and they failed to realize this. It has cost them big time.

    Same with Justin Turner, but the transformation was less obvious. In Turner's case though, it was inexcusable to DFA him.
    Aug/September-.296/.321/.533/.854

    2016-.347/.390/.595/.985
    that's .131 difference

    2017-.321/.382/.546/.928
    .074 difference

    Thanks for illustrating my point.

    The Nationals did nothing to further Justin Turner's career. I think that you should only tip your cap to them for Murphy.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,820
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    What do I have? I have you cherry picking data to dishonestly cling to a point you don't even believe in.

    But you knew that.
    So you have nothing, that's all you had to write.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    So you have nothing, that's all you had to write.
    Keep thinking good thoughts.

    If you're saying that the hitter Daniel Murphy is now didn't first surface in a Met uniform in late 2015, you're either blind or a liar.

    Your call.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    27,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Murphy's slash line In the 2nd half of 2015-.284/.313/.490/.803

    2016-.347/.390/.595/.985
    That's a 182 points higher in his ops

    2017-.321/.382/.546/.928
    That's 125 points higher than his magical run with the Mets.

    Looks to me that the hitting instructor for the Nationals is getting the more out of Murphy than Long did.

    I am of the belief that player development is a huge part of a franchise success and is on going, while some don't. They believe their talent isn't cultivated but is in fact independent of who is teaching them.
    Nah, I don't think they have anything to do with it. I give Long 5% of the credit for probably giving him a tip that helped his swing mechanically to get in front and lift the ball. I give Murphy the other 95% of the credit for executing and perfecting his craft. Murphy would be raking no matter where he played, but I think Long helped him just a bit and there is a good reason why to believe it due to the context of the adjustments Murphy made aligning with the type of hitting coach Long is. Still, it's mostly Murphy. It usually is mostly about the player, not the coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    27,826
    As for Turner, he has been on record saying that Marlon Byrd helped him learn how to lift the ball and hit for power. He took what he learned and applied it with the Dodgers. The truth about Murphy and Turner is they were always good pure hitters, but they just didn't hit for power. They learned out to get out in front of the ball without bailing out and lifting for power.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    27,826
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Murphy's last two months in 2015: .296/.321/.533 (133 wRC+) 6.6 K%, .282 BABIP

    Murphy postseason 2015: .328/.391/.724 off of the game's best pitchers (2 HR off Kershaw, Lester, Grienke, Arrieta)

    The transformation into one of the game's elite hitters began on the Mets and they failed to realize this. It has cost them big time.

    Same with Justin Turner, but the transformation was less obvious. In Turner's case though, it was inexcusable to DFA him.
    Yeah I agree. They really botched this especially with Murphy. I had a feeling this could happen, but at the time the Walker trade helped lessen the blow so my complaints were minimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    27,826
    But anyway, Murphy is a FA again in 2019. We should try to resign him.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,423
    And the thing with Murph was that it was all based on such a small sample. To say now that we knew with certainty that his transformation would continue is revisionist thinking, Monday morning QB-ing. I for one will admit I had my doubts. I wasn't angry when he signed with the Nats. I figured they bought high.

    But i was wrong. He was the real deal.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,778
    I agree with Clay and FoC on this one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,820
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    And the thing with Murph was that it was all based on such a small sample. To say now that we knew with certainty that his transformation would continue is revisionist thinking, Monday morning QB-ing. I for one will admit I had my doubts. I wasn't angry when he signed with the Nats. I figured they bought high.

    But i was wrong. He was the real deal.
    I agree.
    That's why I am tipping my hat.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •