Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Rosario and Smith

I know it is early, way early, but I am just curious as to what your first impressions are of Rosario and Smith .

It's still way too early

I can see the talent and why they're highly touted.

They haven't tapped into it yet. Hopefully they will before the seasons end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosario and Smith

You can see Rosario's talent, but he is swinging and missing wayyyy too much for someone without a ton of power. He needs to tighten up the strike zone considerably.

His defense has been absolutely impeccable though. He's a starting SS in this league for that alone IMO. Whether or not he becomes good or great will have to do with putting the ball in play more often and controlling the strikezone better. The former is a necessity.

Smith on the other hand I am just not impressed with. Never have been. Slider speed bat and hits the ball on the ground way too much. Fielding is overrated too. If he doesn't hit for a high average with above average pop, he's not going to be an asset. Also needs to tighten up his strikezone as well.

One thing they both have going for them is that they are both young. They can get better and hopefully they will. This premature evaluation is far from a death sentence, but this is what I have seen from them through my eyes and with the numbers so far.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    You can see Rosario's talent, but he is swinging and missing wayyyy too much for someone without a ton of power. He needs to tighten up the strike zone considerably.

His defense has been absolutely impeccable though. He's a starting SS in this league for that alone IMO. Whether or not he becomes good or great will have to do with putting the ball in play more often and controlling the strikezone better. The former is a necessity.

Smith on the other hand I am just not impressed with. Never have been. Slider speed bat and hits the ball on the ground way too much. Fielding is overrated too. If he doesn't hit for a high average with above average pop, he's not going to be an asset. Also needs to tighten up his strikezone as well.

One thing they both have going for them is that they are both young. They can get better and hopefully they will. This premature evaluation is far from a death sentence, but this is what I have seen from them through my eyes and with the numbers so far.
    I'm with you onSmith
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I know it is early, way early, but I am just curious as to what your first impressions are of Rosario and Smith .
    What are your first impressions Dave?

Mine: Rosario mostly a solid fielder, but at times looks raw, but very high ceiling. Hitting needs to be more disciplined. I was hoping he was going to be a Reyes clone. He has a long way before I can say that. It's still early, but want to see less strikeouts.

Smith, right now appears overrated. Haven't been impressed with his hitting, but remember '0-22' Duda? I thought he was going to be in the mode offensively/defensively as John Olerud. At this point in time, not overly impressed, but we need to give him patience. I'll be happy if he turns into John Kruk.

Let's see how both players perform between now and the end of the year.
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!
    Mets Dieharder Since '63

Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Rosario's defense, while strong and certainly promising, is far from impeccable as witnessed by the play Sunday in which he took too long to throw. Not the first time that's happened
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Fans are impatient to a fault. They want them promoted ASAP and then start to question their ability after a very short time. It's the same year after year.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Rosario and Smith

These kids just got here. It takes a few years to see talent adapt and flourish.

I see lots of talent in both. No different than the talent that got them here. No one doubts Rosario's abilities. Smith is someone people seem to disagree about but I think his track record suggests he learns and adapts well at every level and becomes a line drive hitting bat with a very reliable glove. No reason to believe he won't become that at the majors.

The best thing for these kids is to be surrounded by talented veterans who will take pressure off of them to produce right away. And for fans to not denounce them because they don't become all stars within 2 months.

Don't worry. He's got this.

As to Rosario, before he was recalled , Keith Law had him as the number 1 prospect in all of the minors . I was expecting more offense from him . But as I said earlier, it is way too early.

Does anyone know how high Clay Bellingeer wasa rated before his call up ? We never seem to have the Clay Bellingers or Segers ( spelling? ) in our system. Or for that matter players like Bientindi, Devers , Judge, Sanchez, Frazier, etc. in our system.

I agree with the posters who are not initially impressed with Smith. From all the reports I thought I would be seeing the next Keith Hernandez defensively at 1B .

Being the #1 prospect is based on many factors. Being MLB "ready" may not be at the top if the player's qualifications. You could theoreticalky have a player at Class A - 2 years from MLB -- as the #1 prospect.

Players have to catch up to the speed of the game at bat and in the minors, give them a little more time -- 200 PAs is generally considered a decent sample to get a feel for their readiness.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 08-22-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Does anyone know how high Clay Bellingeer wasa rated before his call up ? We never seem to have the Clay Bellingers or Segers ( spelling? ) in our system. Or for that matter players like Bientindi, Devers , Judge, Sanchez, Frazier, etc. in our system.

Conforto?

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666:31814394
    It's still way too early
    Hence "first" impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave:31814619
    As to Rosario, before he was recalled , Keith Law had him as the number 1 prospect in all of the minors . I was expecting more offense from him . But as I said earlier, it is way too early.

I agree with the posters who are not initially impressed with Smith. From all the reports I thought I would be seeing the next Keith Hernandez defensively at 1B .
    Guess you mean Cody Bellinger...

I can see the star potential in Rosario. I think he will be good enough to have a great shot at never being sent back down to AAA.

Not impressed with Smith yet, but he had little else to prove in Vegas. We'll see, but I can see him starting next year in Vegas. We should bring in a solid righty bat to platoon or play 1B full time, and keep Flores as our super utility, or give him the 2B job.

Are you kidding me?
    His name is Michael Conforto.

And I would take him over all of the players you mentioned besides Seager.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast