Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Roger Goodell on verge of five-year contract extension through 2024

He is gone... bad for the league.. anybody can do his job... the players wont stand for him... the owners wont either... he wont make it another year

How does it feel to all the haters? Dude is a monster at his job and the owners know it and thus BOOM welcome back ROGER

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...extension-2024

He's gonna lose discipline power in the next CBA negotiations after the owners begrudgingly give it to the players in exchange for keeping more money.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Owners love this guy....He takes ALL the blame.

Hpf has a good point with how that changes though. But if it gets then more money

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

Hpf has a good point with how that changes though. But if it gets then more money
    I think I saw Eric Winston who's in the NFLPA talking about how discipline affects a small minority of players. So I do wonder if they'll pursue it heavily. I'm sure they'd like some more fundamental fairness in how discipline is handed out but is it enough of an issue to give up money for? I'd think no but not sure how the NFLPA thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think I saw Eric Winston who's in the NFLPA talking about how discipline affects a small minority of players. So I do wonder if they'll pursue it heavily. I'm sure they'd like some more fundamental fairness in how discipline is handed out but is it enough of an issue to give up money for? I'd think no but not sure how the NFLPA thinks.
    Hadn't thought about it that way.

Exactly, I came to post the same thing. He's willingly their fall guy, and gets paid extremely well for it. Honestly, I feel commissioner should be a position hired by a committee representing the NFLPA, the owners and the referees.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Exactly, I came to post the same thing. He's willingly their fall guy, and gets paid extremely well for it. Honestly, I feel commissioner should be a position hired by a committee representing the NFLPA, the owners and the referees.
    Yeah good point. That would be quite the task being pulled from all directions but better than just one I feel.
    Having 4 All Pros on offense=fairy tale.
    Having a look in your eye=key to NFL success.

I truly and genuinely don't understand what he does to "make the owner's money". Are the TV deals that hard to negotiate? it seems like he gets an insane amount of bad PR about concussions and discipline. I get that he's the "fall guy" but are those really just fundamentally issues that will result in bad PR? Maybe to an extent, but I just feel it wouldn't be very hard to not get it as bad as he does. From the outside looking in, as much money as they make with him, it feels like they could make even more if he wasn't such a contradictory, bumbling idiot anytime he needed to interact with people other than the owners.

Apparently there is some sticking points from this being finalized and a bunch of it has to do with the next CBA. Heard they kinda want him to lock in certain changes to discipline and drug use.

PROCESSING

I truly and genuinely don't understand what he does to "make the owner's money". Are the TV deals that hard to negotiate? it seems like he gets an insane amount of bad PR about concussions and discipline. I get that he's the "fall guy" but are those really just fundamentally issues that will result in bad PR? Maybe to an extent, but I just feel it wouldn't be very hard to not get it as bad as he does. From the outside looking in, as much money as they make with him, it feels like they could make even more if he wasn't such a contradictory, bumbling idiot anytime he needed to interact with people other than the owners.
    So why do they want to keep paying him?

Kind of devil's advocate but if he's so bad why is this happening? Why do they keep paying a guy that anyone can do his job and whatnot that people say?

That's my honest open question to anyone.

Kind of devil's advocate but if he's so bad why is this happening? Why do they keep paying a guy that anyone can do his job and whatnot that people say?

It's a totally fair question. They must like him and think he's doing great for what they pay him. I truly don't get why he needs to be the "fall guy" though. From the outside looking in it seems he creates a lot of the need for a"fall guy" himself. The owners obviously disagree though. I just truly don't understand it.

It's a totally fair question. They must like him and think he's doing great for what they pay him. I truly don't get why he needs to be the "fall guy" though. From the outside looking in it seems he creates a lot of the need for a"fall guy" himself. The owners obviously disagree though. I just truly don't understand it.
    My feel is that it wasn't originally intended. His ego developed that and they went with it.

He takes all the heat while doing things the owners want anyways. He never puts the owners out by saying it's what they wanted, he just says it's what was needed. He often puts the long term success of the league (aka money) in front of player needs (aka safety).

Owners love that.

PROCESSING

Yeah, the NFL pretty much runs itself, but I think the main point for this extension would be having Goodell handle the next CBA, which he already has experience with and achieved the result of both more money/power for the NFL and NO lockout. Rich people/companies pay a pretty penny for rare skills, even if the skill is only rare by definition. A lockout would be a financial disaster for the owners collectively, much less so for the player, for who in contrast it would be a problem on the individual level.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Yeah, the NFL pretty much runs itself, but I think the main point for this extension would be having Goodell handle the next CBA, which he already has experience with and achieved the result of both more money/power for the NFL and NO lockout. Rich people/companies pay a pretty penny for rare skills, even if the skill is only rare by definition. A lockout would be a financial disaster for the owners collectively, much less so for the player, for who in contrast it would be a problem on the individual level.
    Do they want the bad guy in the seat for leverage at all you think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast