Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anquan Boldin leaves Bills, announces retirement

The end of the line for one of the toughest guys in this generation of players, it will be weird knowing Boldin won't be suiting up anymore.

Football has always been a priority for Anquan Boldin. But after 14 seasons, more than 200 games and nearly 14,000 yards receiving, the veteran wide receiver now feels a higher calling, which is why he left the Buffalo Bills today and plans to retire.

"Football has afforded me a platform throughout my career to have a greater impact on my humanitarian work, and at this time I feel drawn to make the larger fight for human rights a priority," Boldin said in a statement to ESPN.com. " My life's purpose is bigger than football."

Boldin has spent parts of the last two years on Capitol Hill fighting for criminal justice reform. His cousin, Corey Jones, was shot to death by a plain-clothed police officer in 2015 after Jones' van broke down on the side of a South Florida highway.

Since then, Boldin has sought to give a voice not only to his family, but all of those who feel like their cries for justice and change and falling on deaf ears.

"No. 1, you want to hear that they hear you," Boldin told ESPN.com in 2016 before a trip to Capitol Hill. "You want to make sure they understand the things that we, as an African-American community, are going through. I don't think our community feels that way right now, especially when it comes to law enforcement and the way we're being policed. Our neighborhoods are feeling hurt. No. 2, you want to see changes in policy, in terms of how we train our police officers. And lastly, you want to see accountability -- that justice will be served for all -- to make sure that the relationship between the African-American community and police can be better. There's work to be done on both sides because there's a huge mistrust there. I want to help close that gap."

Boldin and wife Dionne, who have two young sons, have always been heavily involved in community work in their hometown of Pahokee, Fla. The couple has touched thousands of families by providing educational and life opportunities, and in 2014 they established an endowment that has supported 15 four-year college scholarships.

Boldin will be remembered as of the game's toughest wideouts, if not players. He once returned in the same season in which he sustained a broken jaw and played with it wired shut. He walks away from the game with 1,076 receptions for 13,779 yards and 82 touchdowns. He also won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens in the 2012 season.

"Football in its purest form is what we all strive for as a nation," Boldin said in his statement. "People from all different races, religions and backgrounds working together for one shared goal," he said. "The core values taught in football are some of the most important you can learn in life: to always be there for the guy next to you and not let your fellow man down. You do whatever it takes to make sure your brother is OK."

Boldin now wants to help those beyond the football field, which is why he is walking away.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ire-14-seasons

Wrong forum

First Sim League Title!

Wrong forum? Seems right to me.

I really like Boldin, it's too bad he is retiring but it makes sense. No need for him to take more of a beating

Bills are a dumpster fire.

Knew he was around, forgot it was buffalo.

I won't be surprised if McCoy asks for a trade.

At the very least, the Bills seem committed to a full and complete rebuild under Beane. Fans hate the sound of that, but it has never truly happened in Buffalo. They've been a model of consistent mediocrity.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I won't be surprised if McCoy asks for a trade.

At the very least, the Bills seem committed to a full and complete rebuild under Beane. Fans hate the sound of that, but it has never truly happened in Buffalo. They've been a model of consistent mediocrity.
    The value of RBs is at an all-time low, good luck trying to work out a trade at this point, especially with so many teams probably close to the cap.

I think for the Bills, a rebuild is going to be a good thing. Rex Ryan really set this team back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    Wrong forum
    A 14 year NFL vet retired, it's thread worthy in the NFL forum

9. 08-20-2017, 09:38 PM
    Reason
    Baiting

10. 08-20-2017, 09:39 PM
    Reason
    Baiting

some people think he should be on the hall of fame based on some of his stats but only 1 all-pro team and 3 probowls sounds like Hall of very good.

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Offense

#InCaldwellWeTrust

He got to bills camp and said f this

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's too bad he couldn't have gotten to 14k yards.
    Better question, is "is he a HoF" or not.

Boldin the HOF would be a joke. Love the guy though and congrats on a great career.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    He got to bills camp and said f this

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/...37708624187394

After Charlottesville he said f this

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#InCaldwellWeTrust

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    It's too bad he couldn't have gotten to 14k yards.
    Better question, is "is he a HoF" or not.
    He should be in hall of very good. Like I said 1 all-pro team and 3 probowls seems weak even with like the 9th most catches.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#InCaldwellWeTrust

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Wrong forum? Seems right to me.

I really like Boldin, it's too bad he is retiring but it makes sense. No need for him to take more of a beating
    why sign in the first place though? wasnt it less then a month ago?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast