Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Pacers File Tampering Claim Against the Lakers

The Indiana Pacers have reportedly filed charges against the Los Angeles Lakers for tampering with Paul George before the All-Star was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Per NBA journalist Peter Vecsey, Pacers owner Herb Simon filed the charges against the Lakers, and the NBA hired an independent law firm to investigate the matter.

It's unclear exactly what the Lakers did that the Pacers might have a case against. Lakers president Magic Johnson did an interview on Live with Jimmy Kimmel in April that raised some eyebrows when he discussed hypothetically meeting George on a vacation and not being able to say the team wants to add him:

[embedded video removed]

Alex Kennedy of Hoops Hype did note tampering is one of those things that is "tough to prove." Vecsey wrote the Lakers could lose draft picks or even be forbidden from signing George as a free agent if they are found guilty.

Tampering is rare in the NBA, though it has happened. The Atlanta Hawks, Houston Rockets and Sacramento Kings were all fined for tampering in 2013 after the league uncovered statements, emails and articles directly connected to the teams with information about players who were under contract somewhere else at the time.

George was traded to the Thunder on July 6. The 27-year-old played the first seven years of his career with the Pacers.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...th-paul-george

Lol

The Pacers... Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    Lol
    Wouldn't be laughing if they actually have proof, which i think they might. If they were that mad, they would have filed a claim a week after. The Lakers should lose their ability to sign Paul, but they won't. The leagues baby needs a partner. So I would go loss of a first maybe 2 1sts.

PAPI SMASH!

I can't remember the teams, but there was a tampering charge where the team got penalized because the players agent logged the player for 2 minutes spent at a time when the agent was talking to a team where the player was not employed. Neither the agent nor the penalized team admitted anything and the player never ended up with the penalized team. I think it comes down to if the league wants to penalize the team or not, and the NBA wants the Lakers to win.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Haha, oh ****

this is a big deal if they pacers have some sort of proof. Lakers can lose picks or be banned from signing George.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    this is a big deal if they pacers have some sort of proof. Lakers can lose picks or be banned from signing George.
    The Pacers don't need proof, they just accuse. The NBA finds the proof.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Lol

Good for the pacers. Always thought something fishy was there in this whole ordeal.

PROCESSING

this could get pretty interesting if they have proof... which is likely considering all the crap that went down lol.

The Pacers may have a fair complaint but nothing is going to happen for several reasons. First, it's tough to prove. Doubtful the Lakers come out and admit to wrongdoing and while Magic did make a controversial statement on Jimmy Kimmel, there is no smoking gun. Secondly, why now? Indiana traded Paul George July 6th, 45 days ago, and Magic's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel was April 20th, 122 days ago. If Indiana filed charges immediately after Magic's comments or even in May or June before the trade that would be one thing, but waiting so long is odd. If it was that serious why would they wait?

It seems to me Indiana still has a bad taste in their mouth over the whole Paul George situation. They only traded him because George wanted out and then George killed their negotiating position when he openly said there was no way he was staying, they either trade him now for anything or lose him for nothing. It was widely known that George wanted to be a Laker and the Lakers were not offering much, a package involving some of Russell, Clarkson, Randle, Black, and Nance Jr. For some stupid reason the Pacers also had the intention of trading him to the Western Conference. With no good will coming from the Lakers they ultimately made the move they did with Oklahoma City, great for the Thunder.

Even if the Lakers are guilty, this entire ordeal was completely the Pacers fault. They had YEARS to put a good team around George and never did. They put defensive teams that had NO offensive capabilities around PG and then fired coach Vogel when they couldn't score. The blame doesn't only go to Larry Bird however because when it came time to trade George, the Pacers were more focused on hand picking his destination than their own future. They thought it more important to send him to a Western Conference team that wasn't the Lakers that they passed on better offers to do so. The Cavaliers and Celtics both had far greater offers than the Thunder but for some reason they only wanted him to go to the West. They even tried to give him to Golden State.

The Pacers have nobody to blame but themselves for the entire Paul George situation. Another reason nothing is going to come of this.

If the warriors didn't get hit with tampering after Draymond, Klay, and Curry admitted to texting Durant all year about joining them I don't see the Lakers being charged either.

At best the Lakers will lose a first. George is the biggest FA the Lakers could get next FA, and they aren't going to not give Lebron a big time player.

PAPI SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Ocho View Post
    If the warriors didn't get hit with tampering after Draymond, Klay, and Curry admitted to texting Durant all year about joining them I don't see the Lakers being charged either.
    I think it has to be a member of the organization who actually makes decisions when contract offers are given, and my guess is that the players agent should be involved in the discussions.

Players talking casually with other players is not what the tampering rule is about, and in todays league with social media and the regular media trying to create storys about whos going where next summer- Im not sure how you would monitor casual conversation.

and lmao if you think warriors players were the only ones talking to KD at any point during the season

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast