12. You may not vote on this poll
  • hit a homer

9 75.00%
  • dunk a basketbal

3 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxeryll View Post
    better question IMO is hitting a homer or making a full court (94 ft) shot
    I'd imagine it'd be way easier to make a full court shot than hit a homer in an MLB park.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I'd imagine it'd be way easier to make a full court shot than hit a homer in an MLB park.
    Yeah, I'll hit one of those shots eventually. I might not ever hit a 90 mph fastball 300 feet.

I dunked a ball a few times when I wasn't an out of shape piece of ****. So...yeah. This is a weird/tough question. One that I don't even think is terribly intriguing.
    this my sig

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Yes, this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxeryll View Post
    better question IMO is hitting a homer or making a full court (94 ft) shot
    probably a 94 foot shot

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Given the parameters set in the question - Dunk

Plenty of people who don't play basketball are either tall or can jump.
    Few people who don't play baseball can hit.

Look at the home run derby, these are the best home run hitters in the world (presumably) and plenty of their swings don't end up in home runs.

I'm 5'11 185lbs and I've been playing baseball and basketball my whole life. In high school I worked my *** off trying to dunk but the best I could do was grab the rim. I'm 28 now and still can only grab the rim. In baseball I'm not a power hitter but once or twice a year I get lucky and hit a HR.

HR's can happen by chance with a good swing, there's no such thing as a lucky dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I'm 5'11 185lbs and I've been playing baseball and basketball my whole life. In high school I worked my *** off trying to dunk but the best I could do was grab the rim. I'm 28 now and still can only grab the rim. In baseball I'm not a power hitter but once or twice a year I get lucky and hit a HR.

HR's can happen by chance with a good swing, there's no such thing as a lucky dunk.
    exactly. I would guess most the population of earth, no matter how hard they train, will never be able to dunk. Ever. Just the way it is. That isn't to say hitting a home run is easy, quite the contrary. But it's a lot easier than dunking, for most people.

Just think of the average height of a man. In the U.S., it's 5'9". Do people realize what kind of ups you need to dunk at that height? I would guess the majority of the Japanese or Latino baseball leagues can't dunk, yet they can all hit a homerun for example.

It's easily hitting a homerun. I can't imagine how anyone would think otherwise.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    exactly. I would guess most the population of earth, no matter how hard they train, will never be able to dunk. Ever. Just the way it is. That isn't to say hitting a home run is easy, quite the contrary. But it's a lot easier than dunking, for most people.

Just think of the average height of a man. In the U.S., it's 5'9". Do people realize what kind of ups you need to dunk at that height? I would guess the majority of the Japanese or Latino baseball leagues can't dunk, yet they can all hit a homerun for example.

It's easily hitting a homerun. I can't imagine how anyone would think otherwise.
    Yes, but, baseball is not familiar to a great portion of the world. None of them are hitting a homerun. Some of them will be just tall enough to be able to dunk, some will have the athleticism, more of them will have have played basketball and aspire to dunk. And we're talking somewhere in the 5.5 billion people range. I'd take the odds of finding more dunkers in the 7 billion person pool than homerun hitters in the 1.5 billion pool.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Yes, but, baseball is not familiar to a great portion of the world. None of them are hitting a homerun. Some of them will be just tall enough to be able to dunk, some will have the athleticism, more of them will have have played basketball and aspire to dunk. And we're talking somewhere in the 5.5 billion people range. I'd take the odds of finding more dunkers in the 7 billion person pool than homerun hitters in the 1.5 billion pool.
    Oh it's way more than a 1.5 billion pool. The most popular sport in India is cricket. India is the most populated country on earth. Yes, a cricket bat is not exactly like a baseball bat and the swing is a little different, but if you're good enough to swing one, given a full day, you could learn to swing the other.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the number of people who are so tall they can dunk automatically is not as many as people think. The average height for a man is like 5'9".

Here is a man using math and estimates to make an educated guess on how many 7 footers there are on earth:

http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/2...-in-the-world/

He said about 30,000. Here's another one that puts the number even lower:

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/hi...f14758f64.html

2,800 total.

Yes, if you're 6'6" and up chances are you can dunk, but the point is, the number of people who are tall enough they could automatically dunk due to their height is a lot smaller than you probably think.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16:31824379
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Oh it's way more than a 1.5 billion pool. The most popular sport in India is cricket. India is the most populated country on earth.
    China has the largest population. India is second.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Why would she not have taken the heels off?
    I'm confused. Is it easier to hit a homer in high heels or to dunk in them? He's saying hit but I mean, you are getting some extra height advantage for the dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    China has the largest population. India is second.
    True. I had read a report that India was expected to overtake China as the most populous country but it looks like they aren't quite there, though it's close.

They say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball. Its definitely hitting a home run.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    They say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball. Its definitely hitting a home run.
    who is "they"?

I don't agree at all. If the premise is, hitting a ball over the fence that is coming at you 60-70mph from a machine, or pitching coach, or dunking with nobody in front of you, I think hitting the ball over the fence is easier.

If the question is, hitting a baseball over the fence off a major league pitcher trying to get you out, or dunking a basketball while being defended by an NBA player trying to stop you, well, that really isn't worth the debate, because it's such a small percentage, who cares..none of us here could do either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    who is "they"?

I don't agree at all. If the premise is, hitting a ball over the fence that is coming at you 60-70mph from a machine, or pitching coach, or dunking with nobody in front of you, I think hitting the ball over the fence is easier.

If the question is, hitting a baseball over the fence off a major league pitcher trying to get you out, or dunking a basketball while being defended by an NBA player trying to stop you, well, that really isn't worth the debate, because it's such a small percentage, who cares..none of us here could do either.
    Remember that show pro vs joe's. I remember one espide where they had you shooting against Allen Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast