View Poll Results: can more people

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • hit a homer

9 75.00%
  • dunk a basketbal

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Can more people hit a home run or dunk a basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Argued with my friends about this all day yesterday. It's a home run. There's enough statistical data available to support the idea that it's definitely a home run but I'm curious to see how long it'll take this thread to arrive there.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Argued with my friends about this all day yesterday. It's a home run. There's enough statistical data available to support the idea that it's definitely a home run but I'm curious to see how long it'll take this thread to arrive there.
    get me those TPS reports

it is for sure, hit a home run. There are some people, many people in fact, that can't touch 10' if their lives depended on it. At some point, enough people could connect to pull a ball 380 feet.

That isn't to say everyone can do it. What I mean is, if we throw an arbitrary number that 10% of the human population could dunk a basketball, maybe 15% could hit a home run.

Physics alone will not allow really short, or older people, to be able to jump high enough to dunk.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Home run for sure.

i was leaning towards hit a homer as well but i cant jump and I'm fairly strong. I'm white and you know more people are white. I think its got to be hit a home run
    Last edited by ewing; 08-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.

It is easily hit a homer. You either can dunk or you can't. Granted it was a slow pitch softball team, but I joined a league despite having never played baseball in my life and had absolutely zero difficulty hitting the ball deep into the outfield. Half the guys would mash home runs outside the fence by dozens of feat. If the pitcher isn't trying to get you out, guys could hit a homer.

Not a single one of those guys could dunk. Dunking is not more difficult than hitting a homer (probably less so for those that can do them), but it's the simple fact that those who can actually physically dunk a basketball is so limited it makes it a less common skill.

It's got to be a homerun.

whether you are athletic or not, if you if you get lucky and hit a ball as hard as you can and connect with the sweet spot once, it'll go yard.

you can't get lucky and all of a sudden jump high enough to dunk if thats what's holding you back

Are talking a million tries or one try? I bet 75% of the world's population could not even hit a baseball. They were talking about this on the radio a couple of days ago. They had an NBA player on (non guaranteed type of player), and he says no question it's dunking. Because there will be several people throughout the world who can just dunk it without jumping.

I go with dunking, because hitting a baseball is the single hardest thing to do in all of professional sports, forget about hitting a homerun. If you only counted North and Central America, I would give it to the homerun though.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Are talking a million tries or one try? I bet 75% of the world's population could not even hit a baseball. They were talking about this on the radio a couple of days ago. They had an NBA player on (non guaranteed type of player), and he says no question it's dunking. Because there will be several people throughout the world who can just dunk it without jumping.

I go with dunking, because hitting a baseball is the single hardest thing to do in all of professional sports, forget about hitting a homerun. If you only counted North and Central America, I would give it to the homerun though.
    The only reason hitting a baseball is so hard is because the person pitching you the ball is trying to get you not to hit it. The question clearly says batting practice pitches, which are slow and designed specifically to get the person to hit the ball.

If you ever go to any rec league or diamond to watch people play, hitting a baseball is not in and of itself difficult at all. As I said I had never played baseball in my life before joining a slow pitch softball co-ed league and not once did I ever swing and not hit the ball. Heck, we were so short on players a dudes wife went out and hit the ball while wearing high heels.

Hitting a baseball being pitched at you by a pitcher trying to get you out? Insanely difficult. Hitting a baseball thrown to you slowly? Not difficult at all...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post

yeah but trying to hit a home run off a good pitcher, is the same as asking Joe Blow to dunk while being defended by a good defender. Still harder to dunk..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

It's basically physically impossible for me to dunk. Then again it's basically physically impossible for me to hit a home run.
    Anthony Mantha

Spoil you with 2 angles baby boo

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The only reason hitting a baseball is so hard is because the person pitching you the ball is trying to get you not to hit it. The question clearly says batting practice pitches, which are slow and designed specifically to get the person to hit the ball.

If you ever go to any rec league or diamond to watch people play, hitting a baseball is not in and of itself difficult at all. As I said I had never played baseball in my life before joining a slow pitch softball co-ed league and not once did I ever swing and not hit the ball. Heck, we were so short on players a dudes wife went out and hit the ball while wearing high heels.

Hitting a baseball being pitched at you by a pitcher trying to get you out? Insanely difficult. Hitting a baseball thrown to you slowly? Not difficult at all...
    Why would she not have taken the heels off?

Important part of this question.....

How is the ball being pitched to you?

Is this slow pitch softball, or Chris Sale throwing at you?

Let's pretend it's an 8 foot goal, or a field that only goes 275 feet deep.....now which one is harder?

Most people can't do either. Some very tall people could get away with one.

Baseball is going to take a massive amount of practice and work. Basketball is something you can do or can't....that you can affect a little with agility, speed, and timing (and strength). But if you've never played baseball and I toss you a softball, you won't do anywhere near what you could be capable of doing with it with training, work, and practice. It's just not a naturally efficient motion.

David Eckstien could learn to hit the ball 400 feet at 5'7. But he'll likely never dunk the ball.
    Spud Webb could dunk a basketball at 5'7, but could never hit a home run in a big league park.
    Shaq can dunk, but he'll never hit a home run.

There is technique. And there is skill. And there is natural talent.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 08-17-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Important part of this question.....

How is the ball being pitched to you?

Is this slow pitch softball, or Chris Sale throwing at you?

Let's pretend it's an 8 foot goal, or a field that only goes 275 feet deep.....now which one is harder?

Most people can't do either. Some very tall people could get away with one.

Baseball is going to take a massive amount of practice and work. Basketball is something you can do or can't....that you can affect a little with agility, speed, and timing (and strength). But if you've never played baseball and I toss you a softball, you won't do anywhere near what you could be capable of doing with it with training, work, and practice. It's just not a naturally efficient motion.

David Eckstien could learn to hit the ball 400 feet at 5'7. But he'll likely never dunk the ball.
    Spud Webb could dunk a basketball at 5'7, but could never hit a home run in a big league park.
    Shaq can dunk, but he'll never hit a home run.

There is technique. And there is skill. And there is natural talent.
    I thought the question was this:

what is easier, hitting a home run with a pitching machine, or a batting practice pitch, or dunking on a 10' regulation basket unimpeded?

To me, it's still hitting a home run, easily. I am far from an elite athlete, and I could hit a ball over 300 feet rountinely by age 15, when my friends and I were just fooling around.

If the question is:

what is easier, hitting a home run off a major league pitcher, or dunking while being defended by an NBA defender, well my friend, the argument is moot, because there is about a 0% chance of either happening for a normal joe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast