Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 102
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17,768

    Mets were "overbudget" this year




    https://www.amazinavenue.com/2017/8/...ership-wilpons



    The Mets have been criticized by fans and the media during their recent dealings for refusing to pay off the salaries of the players they have sent to other teams. The theory goes that if the Mets were less cheap and paid the players that they agreed to pay anyway, that they would get better prospects back in return. So far this summer, the team has traded away Lucas Duda, Jay Bruce, Addison Reed, and Neil Walker without receiving what anyone would consider an exciting prospect.

    In his Wednesday press conference, general manager Sandy Alderson explained that this was all by design. Not the unexciting prospects, but the shedding of salary that is seen as the cause. According to the veteran executive, he had to persuade ownership to go over budget this season with the promise that he would trade away salary if the team didnít contend. Although Duda and Reed were going to be under contract this year barring a non-tender or two, the Mets made decisions over the offseason to exercise Bruceís $13 million 2017 option and give Neil Walker a qualifying offer that kept him in Queens for $17.2 million.

    With New York floundering in mid-July, Alderson followed through on his pact and began trading away veterans who would not be under contract in 2018. The primary goal was not to bring back more affordable talent that could help the franchise in the future, but rather to unload as much salary as possible. Thatís pretty sad considering that optimistic fans have been hoping year after year that the Mets are finally over their financial woes that have been in place since it was revealed that the Wilpons lost money in the Bernie Madoff scandal.

    Even two years removed from a National League pennant, many fans have had enough of their team fielding payrolls that are comparable to those of small-market clubs. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, it wouldnít be crazy to call the Mets contenders for the biggest free agents available, but nowadays, no one considers Queens a possible landing spot for talents like Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, and Manny Machado that could once again establish New York as a destination for the best players in baseball.

    It's Sandy saying it this time, so none of that nonsense about not having evidence. Unbelievable and really quite pathetic that the team was "overbudget" at ~150 and this is very troubling news for our chances next season.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,173
    It's not about how much you spend but where you spend it.

    The only thing that's concerning is that their estimated payroll is 125 million dollars next year. If that's the case, what's their ceiling? If its 140, they aren't going to be add much of anything. No bueno.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    89,452
    Again the worst owners in a big city.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,863
    We have to make trades.
    World Championships



    New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets


    New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III


    Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)


    New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    16
    really. well dont expect much this offseason. not that i ever expect much from this 2 bit franchise. I swear, between the Mets and Islanders...I might as well pick up golf....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31,274
    Waiting for that spin to come in

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    6,998
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Waiting for that spin to come in
    It's past his bedtime, I think.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17,768
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It's not about how much you spend but where you spend it.
    It's about both. Being capable of carrying a big market payroll doesn't make you better, but it does provide you with a wider margin of error, so that if you have 1 or 2 bad contracts, it doesn't hurt you as much. You still have to spend wisely, so where you spend it is very important, but having a cushion can help.

    Look, we're 12 games under .500 in August and we're looking at having a lower payroll next season than we did just a few weeks ago. That's scary. Even though you hope for the best with guys like Rosario and Smith, you still have to deal with arbitration raises as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,173
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    It's about both. Being capable of carrying a big market payroll doesn't make you better, but it does provide you with a wider margin of error, so that if you have 1 or 2 bad contracts, it doesn't hurt you as much. You still have to spend wisely, so where you spend it is very important, but having a cushion can help.

    Look, we're 12 games under .500 in August and we're looking at having a lower payroll next season than we did just a few weeks ago. That's scary. Even though you hope for the best with guys like Rosario and Smith, you still have to deal with arbitration raises as well.
    The Royals won the WS two years ago with a limited budget. The Indians made the WS last year with mid tier payroll as did the Mets the year before.

    Well that's their projected budget next year. 125 million dollars, probably give a take a 5 million dollars or so because you account exactly for arbitration raises (only estimate). That's with a limited amount of guys under contract for 2018. The issue is if they aren't able to go to past 140 or 150 million, they aren't going to be able to add significant talent because better talent is still going to cost money in 2018 even through deferments and backloaded contracts.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    62,139
    I think I'm giving up on sports until my teams get new owners.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,655
    Sometimes I wish I was raised a Yankees fan. this is why I've learned to appreciate the little things in baseball. We are not the rich kids.


    It's not so bad when you lower your expectations. It's quite enjoyable.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,173
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Sometimes I wish I was raised a Yankees fan. this is why I've learned to appreciate the little things in baseball. We are not the rich kids.


    It's not so bad when you lower your expectations. It's quite enjoyable.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It just depresses me that a team in a ****** run down drug infested city like Detroit can carry a larger payroll than a NY team. They don't even have a regional sports network yet somehow they can outspend the Mets by almost 45 million dollars in payroll.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,655
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It just depresses me that a team in a ****** run down drug infested city like Detroit can carry a larger payroll than a NY team. They don't even have a regional sports network yet somehow they can outspend the Mets by almost 45 million dollars in payroll.
    It has nothing to do with what city each is in, it has everything to do with who has control. The owners.

    They're not "fans", they're conservative (I don't mean politically) businessmen and they are probably making a killing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,173
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    It has nothing to do with what city each is in, it has everything to do with who has control. The owners.

    They're not "fans", they're conservative (I don't mean politically) businessmen and they are probably making a killing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well everything is supposed to be revenue based in relation to baseball related income. Its hard for me to believe the Tigers are more profitable than the Mets are specifically when they haven't outdrew the Mets since 2014 and when they outsource their broadcasting to Fox Sports. Yes I know the SNY deal isn't like YES, NESN, etc but the Tigers only make 34.5 million dollars a year from FSD through 2018 in a deal they signed in 2008.

    How exactly do they continually outspend the Mets?

    That's just one example. Am sure there are more.

    Not to mention look at Detroit. Its a cesspool.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-17-2017 at 09:43 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    24,629
    Every team has a budget.
    Ownership allowed the GM to go over budget.
    Veterans on their way out often get traded.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •