Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Giancarlo Stanton Mashing Homers, Clearing Waivers....his discussion

There is a lot to discuss with Stanton

He has 10 HR's in his last 11 games. Which gives him 43 HR, and a pace of 59.54 for the year. Some (Morosi) have argued that if he tops 61 HR's that it would be the legit home run record (Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds being the only other one's to top 61).

1. What would you think if Stanton hit 62 HR's this year? Would you title that the home run record? Do you consider Bonds the home run record? Do you feel like the elevation of home runs around the league this year would delegitimize such an argument?

Also, reported today, that Stanton cleared revocable waivers. Largely because of his massive contract ($295 owed through 2027, which doesn't include his opt-out, his no-trade clause, and the vesting option at the end). As well because of his injury history.

With Stanton's contract, you also have the Marlin's sale to navigate, their tv right negotiations coming up, his no trade clause, the contract, opt-out, and injury history.

2. Do you think Stanton could be dealt, and are you surprised nobody staked a claim for him considering the power output he produces and his age?

I'm just gonna throw this out there... what are the possibilities that a David Price for Giancarlo Stanton deal could actually make sense in the off season? Both players have massive contracts but prices is over much sooner, not to mention he has an opt out next year... never gonna happen but I'm bored and just want to throw **** at the wall lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... what are the possibilities that a David Price for Giancarlo Stanton deal could actually make sense in the off season? Both players have massive contracts but prices is over much sooner, not to mention he has an opt out next year... never gonna happen but I'm bored and just want to throw **** at the wall lol

The Marlins would obviously want top prospects to start their rebuild. I don't even think they would look at taking David Price back.

Bonds is the HR king.

I'd love to see Stanton break that record though which he'd need to hit 31 more this season. Doubtful is an understatement.

That money is huge and his injury history has more to do with him not being claimed. I seriously, as a Phillies fan, would not mind him though even at that money.

EDIT: Damn, dumb and thought the record was 70 HRs.
    Last edited by koldjerky; 08-15-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

1. As much as I hate it, there's too many single seasons of HR over 61 to give the title to the next guy to crack it. He will not get there in my opinion.

2. I think he could be dealt, but it would be an off season move. Teams need more than 48 hours to work out those kind of financials. I'm not at all surprised nobody claimed him because the Marlins could just dump him on the claiming team and if you're not 100% committed, that could spell big trouble for ill prepared teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    1. As much as I hate it, there's too many single seasons of HR over 61 to give the title to the next guy to crack it.
    Bonds, McGwire, Sosa. For which of those guys are you skeptical regarding steroid usage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    There is a lot to discuss with Stanton

He has 10 HR's in his last 11 games. Which gives him 43 HR, and a pace of 59.54 for the year. Some (Morosi) have argued that if he tops 61 HR's that it would be the legit home run record (Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds being the only other one's to top 61).

1. What would you think if Stanton hit 62 HR's this year? Would you title that the home run record? Do you consider Bonds the home run record? Do you feel like the elevation of home runs around the league this year would delegitimize such an argument?

Also, reported today, that Stanton cleared revocable waivers. Largely because of his massive contract ($295 owed through 2027, which doesn't include his opt-out, his no-trade clause, and the vesting option at the end). As well because of his injury history.

With Stanton's contract, you also have the Marlin's sale to navigate, their tv right negotiations coming up, his no trade clause, the contract, opt-out, and injury history.

2. Do you think Stanton could be dealt, and are you surprised nobody staked a claim for him considering the power output he produces and his age?
    I believe I said this before in a different thread but it doesn't surprise me he went unclaimed with all that money owed. Teams know the Marlins can't afford that deal and will use that as leverage by making them eat salary or taking back lesser prospects to get rid of him. Despite his output the Marlins are going to have a very difficult time finding a team that isn't severely over the luxury tax (like big market teams would be/are) that will agree to assuming all of his money. The Dodgers do make some sense since he is from Socal, grew up a Dodgers fan, and the team figures to lose a behemoth amount of money after the 2018 season. Even then the Dodgers, and other big market teams, probably wouldn't agree to a deal that favors the Marlins regardless of his numbers. They hurt his value by giving him the length of contract that they did.

Who says Stanton is clean? Based on what? I don't care personally, he is having an historic outburst lately. I think he could get to 65 and maybe more.
    Baseball has been very very good to me!

Why would the Marlins want Price ?
    #BringBackMatty

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Who says Stanton is clean? Based on what? I don't care personally, he is having an historic outburst lately. I think he could get to 65 and maybe more.
    He was always a physical freak. He played basketball and football for Notre Dame high school in socal as a wide receiver before moving to baseball. The guy is just gifted thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Blue987 View Post
    He was always a physical freak. He played basketball and football for Notre Dame high school in socal as a wide receiver before moving to baseball. The guy is just gifted thats all.
    I'm not in any way suggesting that Stanton's juicing but Barry Bonds was an extraordinarily gifted athlete as well. People forget he was on a HOF track prior to his physical/statistical explosion.

Giancarlo Stanton Mashing Homers, Clearing Waivers....his discussion

Quote Originally Posted by oak2455 View Post
    Why would the Marlins want Price ?
    My thought was that they'd save some money on Stanton (something around 100M) and they'd also get more out of the Red Sox obviously. I think that kind of move would be the only way to move a massive contract like that

For example... what if they could get a guy like bogaerts, and take on Price. They get out from under Stanton's contract and get a young shortstop with tons of potential going forward... obviously this won't happen I'm just trying to spitball a scenario it would be palatable for a team to take on that contract

Last edited by homie564; 08-15-2017 at 03:23 PM.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

My thought was that they'd save some money on Stanton (something around 100M) and they'd also get more out of the Red Sox obviously. I think that kind of move would be the only way to move a massive contract like that

For example... what if they could get a guy like bogaerts, and take on Price. They get out from under Stanton's contract and get a young shortstop with tons of potential going forward... obviously this won't happen I'm just trying to spitball a scenario it would be palatable for a team to take on that contract

Gotcha , I just don't see it . I could be wrong , tons of prospects lol
    #BringBackMatty

Wouldn't care aboit 62. The record is 73.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I am never someone to make assumptions. But every season over 61 HR's came between 1998-2001 and was done by 3 different players who were all very clearly juicing.

Stanton is aided by this seasons launch in home runs across the league though. Which you could also argue that favors him.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast