Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Subway Series

Subway Series

Well it looks like my boy Johnny Legs is starting in CF and Wilmer is starting at 3B. Now we just need to get Cecchini starting some at 2B and we will begin to evaluate things going forward. (With Nimmo also hopefully getting some starts in CF)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subway Series

This is the exact defensive outfield alignment I want for next year. Drool worthy, once Ces and Legs get a full offseason of proper conditioning.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1999465

Here's an article with some great compliments for Jhonny Legs from Curtis Granderson.

He led the league in Range Factor in 2013 and 2014 in CF. Which is a very important stat. He was first among all OFers in Defensive Runs Saved in 2014 with 26...the next closest CFer was Leonys Martin with 16. Juan did that in 945 Innings...much less than Leonys.

I don't think in todays day and age people appreciate how big of a factor a great defensive CFer (defense has taken a backseat to offense big time lately, which i disagree with) can have on a team. It would allow us to have a plus-plus fielder in all 3 OF positions.

If we somehow can get Johnny Legs and Cespedes to get on more of an endurance type conditioning routine, similar to Conforto, we can have 3 potential gold glove candidates in the OF. That's assuming that Conforto can play a plus-plus defense in RF...which i think he can. Not to mention the pure excitement of watching all 3 of them in shape and tracking balls.

Well...i guess PSD was down during the game. Lame.

Montero looked solid until the middle innings when he got in some trouble. I still think it was overall a pretty encouraging start. I would like to see him continue this success and possibly be our Long Reliever next year.

Robles again struggling. I dont know what TC is thinking keeping him in for more than one inning at a time.

We should have some time to evaluate Sewald, McGowan, Goeddel, and Bradford over the next couple of months. Honestly, I dont have a real good idea of what any of them are, or whether any of them figure to be in our plans for the bullpen next year.

Hopefully 1 of them establishes himself as a legit candidate.

The more I see Robles and Smoker, the more I don't want to see them. Its a shame too, because they have each showed promise at times.

Someone will be making a push for the Grandy Man, and im gonna miss him. Solid player, better person. i'm also starting to think Asdrubal is gonna get dumped on someone as well.

2 questions for you guys....

-who do you like of the relievers I mentioned above and why?
    -what are the chances you think Warthen/Collins are gone next year?

Montero had his best start ever.

It was pretty good. I agree.

Please Share your thoughts on my two questions i posted.

Montero, for maybe the first time in his major league career, showed us what he is capable of when he transforms from a thrower into a pitcher Yes, he got into some trouble along the way but he worked through it. He never lost his focus and seemed to always have an idea of what he wanted to accomplish on the mound last night.

Wow, what a difference from what we're used to seeing from him. Night and day.

Of course, it's one start. Does he have the wherewithal to continue to build on last night's work? Might he be a late bloomer?

Still a long way to go, obviously, but very encouraging. Stay tuned.

(p.s. Was excruciating that PSD was down all last night and early this morning. Excruciating.)
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    It was pretty good. I agree.

Please Share your thoughts on my two questions i posted.
    Sewald and Bradford for me are guys that should only get called up if injuries happen. Don't like either of them to make the team from the get go.

Goeddel with his splitter seems to have gotten a real out pitch, like what I seen so far from him this year. He I would keep. McGowan have not seen enough to make a judgment.

And I think both TC and Warthen will be gone next year. Sandy won't fire himself, so somebody has to go.

I said a few weeks to a month ago that Montero looked like he was turning a corner...he had a lot of ups and downs since then. If he could manage to get his command down, I think he could be exactly what we expected of Wheeler a few years ago. 9 K/9 , 3BB/9 an ERA in the mid 3s...he could be a viable option for the end of the rotation next year, unless the Mets make a smart move and decide to put him, Wheeler, and/or Gsellman into the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I said a few weeks to a month ago that Montero looked like he was turning a corner...he had a lot of ups and downs since then. If he could manage to get his command down, I think he could be exactly what we expected of Wheeler a few years ago. 9 K/9 , 3BB/9 an ERA in the mid 3s...he could be a viable option for the end of the rotation next year, unless the Mets make a smart move and decide to put him, Wheeler, and/or Gsellman into the pen.
    All of these guys can pitch. Otherwise they wouldn't have made it this far. The question is can they maintain their success.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    All of these guys can pitch. Otherwise they wouldn't have made it this far. The question is can they maintain their success.
    No doubt about that.

The issue is, they throw way to many pitches to be efficient. Montero and Wheeler will have 100 pitches through 5 innings and walk the ball park. From what I remember, Montero is pretty damn good first time through the order but gets rocked right after that. Wheeler has trouble navigating his way out of the first inning. You throw them in the bullpen and get that uptick in velocity then suddenly, their pitches are sharper and we don't have to worry about the likes of AJ Ramos closing out games. Gsellman I hear has the best makeup for closer but I would like to see one of those guys take the Archie Bradley route and ether be an elite LRP so we can finally get rid of Robles (I've been quoted for 2 years to not like this guy) or become a potential set up guy.

It seems a lot safer and more efficient then running injury prone guys in a rotation and trading MLB assets for mediocre minor league relief pitchers. Drew Smith and all of these other guys can be had NOW if we decided to trim the fat on our rotation.

deGrom, Thor, Lugo, and Matz should all have guaranteed spots next year...Harvey should be the fifth guy. That leaves Wheeler/ Gsellman/Montero to provide insurance/be a 6th man. We probably won't need a 7th man but it would be nice in case the injury bug bites again. Still, that leaves three guys with no place in the rotation.

We have come to a place in baseball we're back end guys are those that give you 5 innings at most 6 and if they allow 3 runs or less, then you kind of take it as a solid outing. Only aces seem to go 7 innings game in and game out. It's about stacking your pen so that not only your 3 best arms get the bulk of the calls and run them into the ground. You have to be very deep in the pen now. At least 2 guys that can close and at least 2 set up arms, with the the other 3 spots with solid guys including 2 LHP.

We need a legit long man or two. Guys that can consistently give you multiple innings. I can see Gsellman/Montero/Wheeler being those types of guys to start out.

Gary and Keith are talking about how they wanna see Juan Lagares everyday again. LOVE IT.

Well this game sucks.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast