Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Overall sounds like you were pretty damn smart w everything tho.
    If I had it to do over I'd have gone to college. I half *** tried and dropped out bc I just hate school.
    Currently in retail, make enough money to get by and have some spending money as well. I'm good at my job and just waiting for an opening to move up.
    Not my ideal career but I enjoy what I do and the people I work with currently so I can't really complain. Also met my fiance at work and we are expecting our first child in January.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Congrats man! I didn't know that! That's awesome!

I have a question...I'm still an undergraduate but am looking toward career choices, how did you guys find a career that was right for you? Is it anything like what you thought you would be doing at that age?

I'm admittedly still lost bc I don't think I'm good at anything and I can't afford big time schools that specialize in anything in particular. I'm always so dumbfounded how people pick a career and stick to it no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I have a question...I'm still an undergraduate but am looking toward career choices, how did you guys find a career that was right for you? Is it anything like what you thought you would be doing at that age?

I'm admittedly still lost bc I don't think I'm good at anything and I can't afford big time schools that specialize in anything in particular. I'm always so dumbfounded how people pick a career and stick to it no problem.
    you are not lost. you are not meant to love your job. Use you rational mind when thinking about it. not your emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I was like 26-27 before I had even an idea of what I wanted to do. I worked a wide variety of jobs throughout high school, college, and early professional career (pharmacy tech, radio dj, banking, grocery store clerk, nursing home laborer, general contract work, IT, bartending, to name only a few).

You just gotta play around in jobs (part time or otherwise) and test it out.

Personally, I'm not a big advocate for college unless you are going for something specific (nursing, law, accounting, etc). I'm all for trade jobs and people working in a variety of fields to help them find out what interests them before developing their plan. So many kids go into college right after high school because it's what they are told they need to do. They rack up a ton of student loans, and then need to pay those back and have to settle for jobs they don't want to do. I realize that's a generalization, but I personally know a lot of people in that world.

I have a 14 year old niece who is incredibly bright, social, and thoughtful. You can tell she's going to do great things in her life. All of her friends are entering high school with these detailed plans about their careers. She can not for the life of her understand how anyone her age could already know for a fact what they want for the rest of their lives. And I agree with her. How do you at 14, have any idea if you want to become a doctor for example?
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 08-17-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    They are 24/7, privately owned. Just general weight lifting gyms with cardio equipment. We have other services and a lot of the business is personal training too. We are pretty good sized. One is about 12K square feet, the other is about 6K.

Plenty. Bad investments, bad hiring choices, personal and professional over spending, I've made some really immature choices too (too much partying for example), I'm divorced, I've burned partners and I've burned bridges. Today I have no partners and I'm pretty disciplined with my spending. I used to be a showoff and lacked humility (I still have to be conscious not to be that way still...for example, I'm worried this post may come off that way to some).

I have a lot of good traits as a leader and investor, along with a good work ethic. But I feel like I've made a ton more mistakes than good in my life. But I think I'm really good at learning from them too. I've gotten better at service for example, because of how selfish I used to be.

I've been really lucky in life to be afforded the chances of redemption at each. The lesson is to fail better.

I got really lucky growing up professionally in that I had a few really good investments (where my time gave me equity rather than a paycheck) and that allowed me to grow financially along with partners. Then I started to use those funds to buy rental houses (because of my young age, I wanted to treat that income as residual as possible).
    You are 33 years old. If you still feel you have made more bad decisions than good at age 43, then maybe you need to worry. But as is, at your age, if you have your life mostly straightened out, and moving in a positive way, both financially and professionally, you are in a great place.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

as ewing said, you aren't lost. You don't need to know what you want/will do the rest of your life at age 20-22. Quite the opposite in fact.

Just find something you find both morally acceptable, and challenging, that will pay your bills, until you find something you want to do, works. Or, you will wake up at 41, like me, and just have a job.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

My career fell into my lap in my mid-20s.

People like to think that you control your own destiny. That luck doesn't exist. I don't believe that at all.

To me, it starts with luck. That's how you get your foot in the door. But you have to put yourself in position to capitalize on the opportunity if luck. Keep a good head on your shoulder, don't think of any opportunity as too small, do you own due diligence. Once a great opportunity comes, run with it.

Career changes happen. My wife was a graphic artist and at age 30 she became an art teacher. I will say don't get stuck in anything purely for money.

My brother-in-law's major was a sports management. I asked him what would his dream job be after he graduated. He said the general manager of the Redskins. I told him he better be ready to pick up jockstraps for a few years.

He looked at me like I was crazy and responded he had a friend who worked for them and was looking out for him. I know from my playing music I recommend people who are in the scene with me, not someone who's home in dreamland not willing to starve for his dreams.

Like so many others, he takes the safe route. He started working for a major wireless company simply because the office was nearby. A few years go by and that convenient job moves a hour away. 20 years later he's in the same industry, stuck in it because now he has a family to support.

To top it off, he's a contract employee and is unemployed from time to time. He gets paid well, but I know the stress has literally made him ill.

Follow your dreams. Even if it doesn't pan out, you'll be much happier in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

I would have preferred to have been a white water guide, or a ski bum, or a rock jock, but legal blindness took away those options -- though they would not have been career choices past the age of 35, probably.

I found my professional calling slowly. First computer graphics, then the Web, then teaching, then online course development and management. Right now I have one staff position and three online teaching positions. Im not satisfied though bc Im overworked. Burnt out. I needed to renovate my house so I kept taking assignments to pay for it. By January Ill be back to one job and satisfied.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

I'd say you are in the same boat as most people your age, and I was right there with you not so long ago.

When I was in college I never thought I would have a job where I was interacting with the public all of the time. I was very wrong. You will figure it out in time. Don't be lazy and complacent, but don't stress yourself out if your career doesn't fall into your lap right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I would have preferred to have been a white water guide, or a ski bum, or a rock jock, but legal blindness took away those options -- though they would not have been career choices past the age of 35, probably.

I found my professional calling slowly. First computer graphics, then the Web, then teaching, then online course development and management. Right now I have one staff position and three online teaching positions. Im not satisfied though bc Im overworked. Burnt out. I needed to renovate my house so I kept taking assignments to pay for it. By January Ill be back to one job and satisfied.
    so you basically wanted to be Dan Cortese

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    I'd say you are in the same boat as most people your age, and I was right there with you not so long ago.

When I was in college I never thought I would have a job where I was interacting with the public all of the time. I was very wrong. You will figure it out in time. Don't be lazy and complacent, but don't stress yourself out if your career doesn't fall into your lap right away.
    when I was in college, I only cared about where my next beer, bong hit, and naked interaction with a girl(s) would be. I had no clue, or desire to care, about what I was going to be doing 5 years later.

I'm a 25 year old as a software developer in a nationwide physical rehabilitation company. Initially I thought no but then I look at my other friends from college and I realized I'm doing pretty good. Right now I probably little over to breaking even between paying rent, personal expense (food, gas etc.) student loans, and contributing to a 401k. Once I paid off my student loans by the end of the year, 1k a month btw, I will probably feel much better and take that to either more investing into 401k or just straight up putting it in a saving accounts. I'm pretty sure I would be getting a rise within a year or two if not defitinely looking to better paying job with couple of more years of experience. All I need is to find a girl and have the confidence to ask her out and not screw up somehow.

^ don't look too hard. Chicks are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    so you basically wanted to be Dan Cortese
    who doesn't???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast