Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Start your own now.
    Not happening. Owning your own small business is hard enough, let alone a specific niche like a martial arts school. I would be working 6 days a week, 70 hours a week, which I wouldn't mind, except I have a 4.5 month old daughter. I am 41, comfortable financially, have plenty of time to spend with my daughter, and I can't see changing that. It would take a handful of years to train student(s) to be able to run classes when I am not there, and I would need someone there during business hours that not only knows the business, but the martial arts. In Minneapolis/St Paul, I haven't found anyone with experience.

All excuses really, but the fact is, I value my free time with my daughter much more than being happier in my career.

That being said, maybe I could approach some martial arts schools, and talk about "buying in"? I have thought about it some. I could start slower by teaching a few classes a week, and building possibly.

Hmmm
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 08-16-2017 at 09:09 AM.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I am a middle school math teacher and I coach freshman basketball. On the last day of school I called an impromptu meeting with some peers to discuss how we could improve some lessons for next year. Why? I am a nerd lol. I love teaching. I really do. I dont make a lot of money and I have twins that turn 2 in November so that pisses me off because I feel like I work really hard and the compensation is disappointing. I have a Masters in Math Education too and still mid 50s after 10 years. I would say I love my day to day I just wish i didn't have all this stress about money.
    have you thought about furthering your education, and teaching college? Or does coaching basketball keep you teaching in high school?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I am a middle school math teacher and I coach freshman basketball. On the last day of school I called an impromptu meeting with some peers to discuss how we could improve some lessons for next year. Why? I am a nerd lol. I love teaching. I really do. I dont make a lot of money and I have twins that turn 2 in November so that pisses me off because I feel like I work really hard and the compensation is disappointing. I have a Masters in Math Education too and still mid 50s after 10 years. I would say I love my day to day I just wish i didn't have all this stress about money.
    My good friend's brother, kinda friend at this point I guess, has the same degree as you and he now does some sort of data analysis and test configuring for placement tests (or something like that) in mathematics. I'm sure there are avenues you could go with that because he was able to move home to PA, from MA, keep his job there and work remote only having to go back like once a month. He's in his late 30s too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I quit graduate school years ago because I thought it was going to set me up for a career that I wouldn't enjoy. I'm at peace with that decision, however, I haven't quite found the thing I enjoy since. For the first 4 years out of college I worked a pretty low paying job (enough to squeak by and pay off my loans at a good rate) that I really enjoyed and felt was fulfilling, yet knew there wasn't a lot of room for upward movement. I made a lateral move recently, and now and am a little less happy here and I'm really realizing how much I need to get my **** together and figure stuff out. Been applying to jobs like crazy this week. I've been so averse to going back to grad school but I know I should consider it. I don't want to be regretting these decisions for perpetuity.

But like most others here...if I could go back to my college days I'd definitely do some things differently.
    this my sig

Career Choice. Satisfied?

Between the ages of 23-65 you spend approximately 1/3 of your life working and 1/3 sleeping. If don't like both of those, you are probably not enjoying most of your time alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

I'm not doing what I would have chosen for myself when I was in school. But I'm doing something much better than I ever dreamed of when I was toiling away on an assembly line for years.

In hindsight, I probably would have done things a little differently. No biggie though. If I went down a different route, would I have the same knowledge and skills that I have today? I don't know.

I'm happy where I am. I like my career path. I have a 3-5 year plan and if it works out, I think I'll have the rest of my life planned out. Or I'll have an opportunity to risk it all and do what I'd love to do, and invest and run my own company.

I'm very comfortable where I am, and am finally getting somewhat where I want financially.

I'm very happy, at 33. But it has taken an insane amount of work, stupid choices, and sacrifices. Let's just say, I've spent most of my professional life learning from my failures, which have been costly, but have finally started to work out.

I own two gyms, and several commercial and residential rental properties. I get to work from home a lot and take off whenever I like. Both gyms have management, and my rentals are almost always occupied.

But when something goes wrong somewhere, it's all on me, no matter the situation or problem. Earlier this week I had a tenant just disappear on me with no notice, and never paid August rent. Of course, the law is on my side, but to even bother to sue her and go after it is a huge waste of time and money. You count on that rent, and now you don't have it, and have a house you need to clean up and repair. If you want to sue, you can, but you have to pay the lawyer regardless if you ever get paid from the tenant in judgment. I do my best to pick a good tenant that can afford it and has references. But sometimes, people are just ******.

I spent 6 hours today just doing payroll for the middle of the month payroll at the gyms. Not so bad, I showed up at 10 AM, worked until 4 PM. I worked out before, and was still home before my fiance. But, I also have to be the one to make certain I have enough money in the bank accounts to pay all of that payroll. I didn't get a paycheck today, but every body else did, and I worked 6 hours. I literally was paid negative money. But, the day before I spent the day doing accounting work while watching MLB Network.

Sometimes it's stressful, sometimes it's super easy. But when times are good, they are great. When times are bad, they are really ****ing hard.

I swear, every time I go out of town, something major happens. Last time, I had a unit catch fire. It's just a constant battle of stuff to do that you don't want to do. But there are also times where you get to stay up playing video games until 2 AM and sleep as late as you want, and it's a weekday, and you made a lot of money.

Long term, I have a lot more ambitions and have set myself up to be able to achieve them in my lifetime. I'm happy today. But there have been times where I literally didn't know how I was going to make payroll or my mortgage payments, plus all the payables that I was sitting on. It's a different kind of stress.

I wouldn't change anything today unless somehow, I could work in pro baseball.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 08-16-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Not happening. Owning your own small business is hard enough, let alone a specific niche like a martial arts school. I would be working 6 days a week, 70 hours a week, which I wouldn't mind, except I have a 4.5 month old daughter. I am 41, comfortable financially, have plenty of time to spend with my daughter, and I can't see changing that. It would take a handful of years to train student(s) to be able to run classes when I am not there, and I would need someone there during business hours that not only knows the business, but the martial arts. In Minneapolis/St Paul, I haven't found anyone with experience.

All excuses really, but the fact is, I value my free time with my daughter much more than being happier in my career.

That being said, maybe I could approach some martial arts schools, and talk about "buying in"? I have thought about it some. I could start slower by teaching a few classes a week, and building possibly.

Hmmm
    I have a martial arts school (and they train pros for competitions) that rents one of my commercial spaces next door to my larger gym. It ends up working great for both parties and we end up sharing a lot of customers. They are only there specific hours every week and hold a set number of classes. The two owners both have full time jobs. But rent is cheap, their build out wasn't that much, and they both work about 10 hours per week on it.

Time is the value, but they both make enough to justify doing it.

You could also get your PT certifications and work in a gym part time teaching it and build up a following first before making much of an investment. A lot of great solo people have done this while still having a full time job.

Jeffy, what kind of stupid choices? Just curious.

I'm surprised. You're always right on pretty much everything in the MLB forum. Wouldn't see you as the type to make bad decisions like you say you have. Ha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I own two gyms, and several commercial and residential rental properties. I get to work from home a lot and take off whenever I like. Both gyms have management, and my rentals are almost always occupied.
    What kind of gyms do you own? Are you part of franchise like Planet, Retro, LA Fitness, Golds, etc? Or are they a crossfit/functional fitness/bootcamp kind of studio?

For the first 5 years post college I worked my way from a personal trainer up into gym management. I enjoyed being in the gym but my pay wasn't great, I worked a ton of hours, and I was working for an owner that truly didn't see the big picture when it came to his businesses.

It was a tough decision but just about 2 years ago I decided to get into law enforcement. The money is good with plenty of opportunities to work road jobs and other details, very good schedule, and I genuinely enjoy what I do. Also, I know that in 25 years I will be able to retire with a pension and that is huge. I definitely made the right career choice.

At the same time I still love fitness and train a couple clients on the side for cash. In the future I plan on opening or investing in my own gym.

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    What kind of gyms do you own? Are you part of franchise like Planet, Retro, LA Fitness, Golds, etc? Or are they a crossfit/functional fitness/bootcamp kind of studio?
    They are 24/7, privately owned. Just general weight lifting gyms with cardio equipment. We have other services and a lot of the business is personal training too. We are pretty good sized. One is about 12K square feet, the other is about 6K.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Jeffy, what kind of stupid choices? Just curious.

I'm surprised. You're always right on pretty much everything in the MLB forum. Wouldn't see you as the type to make bad decisions like you say you have. Ha

Plenty. Bad investments, bad hiring choices, personal and professional over spending, I've made some really immature choices too (too much partying for example), I'm divorced, I've burned partners and I've burned bridges. Today I have no partners and I'm pretty disciplined with my spending. I used to be a showoff and lacked humility (I still have to be conscious not to be that way still...for example, I'm worried this post may come off that way to some).

I have a lot of good traits as a leader and investor, along with a good work ethic. But I feel like I've made a ton more mistakes than good in my life. But I think I'm really good at learning from them too. I've gotten better at service for example, because of how selfish I used to be.

I've been really lucky in life to be afforded the chances of redemption at each. The lesson is to fail better.

I got really lucky growing up professionally in that I had a few really good investments (where my time gave me equity rather than a paycheck) and that allowed me to grow financially along with partners. Then I started to use those funds to buy rental houses (because of my young age, I wanted to treat that income as residual as possible).
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 08-17-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    For the first 5 years post college I worked my way from a personal trainer up into gym management. I enjoyed being in the gym but my pay wasn't great, I worked a ton of hours, and I was working for an owner that truly didn't see the big picture when it came to his businesses.

It was a tough decision but just about 2 years ago I decided to get into law enforcement. The money is good with plenty of opportunities to work road jobs and other details, very good schedule, and I genuinely enjoy what I do. Also, I know that in 25 years I will be able to retire with a pension and that is huge. I definitely made the right career choice.

At the same time I still love fitness and train a couple clients on the side for cash. In the future I plan on opening or investing in my own gym.
    Very cool! And thank you for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    They are 24/7, privately owned. Just general weight lifting gyms with cardio equipment. We have other services and a lot of the business is personal training too. We are pretty good sized. One is about 12K square feet, the other is about 6K.

Plenty. Bad investments, bad hiring choices, personal and professional over spending, I've made some really immature choices too (too much partying for example), I'm divorced, I've burned partners and I've burned bridges. Today I have no partners and I'm pretty disciplined with my spending. I used to be a showoff and lacked humility (I still have to be conscious not to be that way still...for example, I'm worried this post may come off that way to some).

I have a lot of good traits as a leader and investor, along with a good work ethic. But I feel like I've made a ton more mistakes than good in my life. But I think I'm really good at learning from them too. I've gotten better at service for example, because of how selfish I used to be.

I've been really lucky in life to be afforded the chances of redemption at each. The lesson is to fail better.

I got really lucky growing up professionally in that I had a few really good investments (where my time gave me equity rather than a paycheck) and that allowed me to grow financially along with partners. Then I started to use those funds to buy rental houses (because of my young age, I wanted to treat that income as residual as possible).
    Overall sounds like you were pretty damn smart w everything tho.
    If I had it to do over I'd have gone to college. I half *** tried and dropped out bc I just hate school.
    Currently in retail, make enough money to get by and have some spending money as well. I'm good at my job and just waiting for an opening to move up.
    Not my ideal career but I enjoy what I do and the people I work with currently so I can't really complain. Also met my fiance at work and we are expecting our first child in January.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast