Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It's time to give wilmer flores a shot

Flores has been pushed around the diamond his whole major league career. At first he struggled offensively and defensively, and then his offense took an uptick, while still having major platoons, and now he finally is hitting both lefties and righties well. He will never be omar vizquel, but he is no longer a liability defensively and deserves a shot.

Although a lot of money is coming off the books this season, there is really no viable second basemen free agents and no one in the minors knocking on the door. Not only does Wilmer make the most sense, he also deserves it.

IMO, I would do the following for the rest of the season:

1B Dom (obviously)
    SS Amed (duh)
    3B Wilmer
    2B Reyes
    RF Conforto
    LF Ces
    CF Nimmo/Lagares

Trade Cabrera (best case scenario to the Red Sox, they have the need with Pedroia ailing and a good farm system) and Granderson (for whatever return you can get).

We need to see what Nimmo can do. Wilmer has earned his playing time, Dom and Amed are the future. Reyes can handle 2B and has been a real asset as a mentor and advisor to Rosario.

This offseason, I would go HARD after Lorenzo Cain for center, and try to pry Dee Gordon from the Marlins for 2B. Third move would be to bring back Reed (unless some team is willing to pay closer money for him). Absolute cherry on top would be Moustakas for 3B.

Those moves would leave us with a bench of Nimmo/Lagares/TJ Rivera/Flores and that's pretty dang good.

Then hope like hell that the starting pitching can finally be healthy for a season and go to battle.

I know, I know, what about catcher. Well, there are no real options realistically available for upgrading that position, so we have to hope that the other moves are enough of an upgrade that the d'Arnaud/Rivera/Plawecki three headed "monster" can do enough to be only slightly below average.
    I can be boring and vanilla, too! Controversy = BAD...

Sure. Hes been very consistent this season. It's about determining fit. He's become sort of a Ben Zobrist. He may not play the same position daily, but he can play day to day.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by championmets View Post
    Flores has been pushed around the diamond his whole major league career. At first he struggled offensively and defensively, and then his offense took an uptick, while still having major platoons, and now he finally is hitting both lefties and righties well. He will never be omar vizquel, but he is no longer a liability defensively and deserves a shot.

Although a lot of money is coming off the books this season, there is really no viable second basemen free agents and no one in the minors knocking on the door. Not only does Wilmer make the most sense, he also deserves it.
    I see Wilmer as a defensive liability at 3B, but hits lefties very well.

Strictly a platoon player at 1B, 2B and 3B.

We need a solid everyday guy at 3B.

Wilmer might be best suited in the AL as a DH vs LHP and part-time infielder.
    Last edited by Paulie6986; 08-13-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!
    Mets Dieharder Since '63

Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

I won't have an issue if he is given the everyday second base job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just take him to Rite-Aid. Most insurances cover it nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post

Depends on who's handling 3rd base. If its Cabrera, then ugh.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post

I would. He can't field the position.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post

1B Dom (obviously)
    SS Amed (duh)
    3B Wilmer
    2B Reyes
    RF Conforto
    LF Ces
    CF Nimmo/Lagares

Trade Cabrera (best case scenario to the Red Sox, they have the need with Pedroia ailing and a good farm system) and Granderson (for whatever return you can get).

We need to see what Nimmo can do. Wilmer has earned his playing time, Dom and Amed are the future. Reyes can handle 2B and has been a real asset as a mentor and advisor to Rosario.

This offseason, I would go HARD after Lorenzo Cain for center, and try to pry Dee Gordon from the Marlins for 2B. Third move would be to bring back Reed (unless some team is willing to pay closer money for him). Absolute cherry on top would be Moustakas for 3B.

Those moves would leave us with a bench of Nimmo/Lagares/TJ Rivera/Flores and that's pretty dang good.

Then hope like hell that the starting pitching can finally be healthy for a season and go to battle.

I know, I know, what about catcher. Well, there are no real options realistically available for upgrading that position, so we have to hope that the other moves are enough of an upgrade that the d'Arnaud/Rivera/Plawecki three headed "monster" can do enough to be only slightly below average.
    I think that Jeter probably will not trade him. He has speed and is a good leadoff hitter . I look to the Marlins to spend money this off season. They will go after pitching both SP and RP. Another team that the Mets probaly will not compete money wise.

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    I would. He can't field the position.
    He's not a terrible 2B.

It's time to give wilmer flores a shot

Second base is the one position where you can sacrifice a bit of D for offense.

I want TJ and Flores to man the position next year, determined by whose hotter at the moment.

I wouldn't have any issue giving Flores a number of games this season at 3rd, to see if his accuracy to first can be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post

1B Dom (obviously)
    SS Amed (duh)
    3B Wilmer
    2B Reyes
    RF Conforto
    LF Ces
    CF Nimmo/Lagares

Wilmer cannot be the third baseman. No way, no how. He can handle second ok although his best position is probably first.

Same can be said about TJ BTW
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    He's not a terrible 2B.
    He's a terrible defender and I hate half talented players.

Sure he can hit. That's why he'd be a great DH. If only we had one.

A smart organization trades Wilmer to the AL for something of need.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    He's a terrible defender and I hate half talented players.

Sure he can hit. That's why he'd be a great DH. If only we had one.

A smart organization trades Wilmer to the AL for something of need.
    Yeah, his positions from best to worst are as follows:

DH
    1B
    2B
    3B
    RF-LF (It's a tie)
    C
    P
    SS
    CF
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    What about Matt Reynolds or Cecchini at 3B?

Are either a 3B?

I really don't believe SA is going to go outside the organization for an everyday guy......do you?
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!
    Mets Dieharder Since '63

Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast