Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will Sale take the MVP award as well as the Cy Young?

Pretty simple.....discuss! Here's a snippet from ESPN about Sale:

When Chris Sale scales the mound Sunday night at Yankee Stadium, consider his sheer dominance over the game every fifth day or so for the past four months. Not only does he lead the league in ERA (2.57), he has piled up at least 10 strikeouts in 15 of 23 starts, including eight in a row earlier in the season. The Boston Red Sox lefty has fanned 12.77 hitters per nine innings, the third-highest rate of all time behind Randy Johnson in 2001 (13.41) and Pedro Martinez in 1999 (13.20). At this pace, he will become the first American League pitcher to punch out 300 batters in a season since Martinez did so 18 years ago.

Sale has a 14-4 record and the Red Sox are 17-6 in his starts, numbers that would be even better if only he had received more support in a 2-1 loss in Detroit on April 10, a 3-0 loss to the Yankees on April 27, a 3-2 loss at Oakland on May 19 and a 1-0 loss in Philadelphia on June 15, when he recorded the team's only extra-base hit.

But here's the truest testament to Sale's value, a more powerful statement than even the most eye-popping statistic can make: With three series in four weeks against the second-place Yankees, Boston manager John Farrell arranged the starting rotation to guarantee that his ace will face them three times.

And so, it's abundantly clear that Sale is the most valuable player to the Red Sox, even more than All-Star right fielder Mookie Betts. But if Sale does his thing over the next few weeks, beginning Sunday on the biggest stage in the Big Apple in front of a national television audience (ESPN, 8 p.m. ET), he really should cement an even loftier status.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/red-...ll-as-cy-young

see i agree right now trout needs to explode a bit at the end because 40 games is a ton to miss and win mvp....... but how can someone make that argument and then give it to a guy who pitches once every 5 days?

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    see i agree right now trout needs to explode a bit at the end because 40 games is a ton to miss and win mvp....... but how can someone make that argument and then give it to a guy who pitches once every 5 days?
    24 pitchers have won the award, including Clayton Kershaw and Justin Verlander since the turn of the century, and they've won it recently. Before them, you have to go back to 1992 and Dennis Eckersley before you had another pitcher win it.

Personally, I have no issue if a pitcher wins it if they have a completely dominant season like Sale has had for the Red Sox. I love Mike Trout- he is my favorite non-Oriole by far- but I wouldn't have an issue with Sale going over him this year.

If Sale continues on this pace, he'll have the best statistical season since Pedro in 99'. Ironically, Pedro finished 2nd that year in the MVP race but was definitely the best player in the AL that year.

Sale has been 2 wins better than any other pitcher in baseball and 1 win better than any position player. Not to mention he could be the difference in the Red Sox winning the AL East potentially.

I have no issues with a pitcher winning it... value is value... i am only saying its kind of dumb to say trout isnt because of time missed but then give it to a pitcher... my list right now would be

sale
    Ultive
    Trout

Remember I was the one asking if kershaw should win it last year because of how historic he was before his injury . Games played is important but when you are still almost equally as valuable when missing 40 games then that missing 40 games shouldnt just be a negative... it should just as much show how valuable said player is. Basically Trout was so far ahead before he went down that we seem to cap that because said player went down... somehow someway being good for more games is better than being legendary over a smaller length of time.... value is value... is there value when playing? of course but being that much better than everyone else shouldnt be capped because of time missed.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 08-13-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I have no issues with a pitcher winning it... value is value... i am only saying its kind of dumb to say trout isnt because of time missed but then give it to a pitcher... my list right now would be

sale
    Ultive
    Trout

Remember I was the one asking if kershaw should win it last year because of how historic he was before his injury . Games played is important but when you are still almost equally as valuable when missing 40 games then that missing 40 games shouldnt just be a negative... it should just as much show how valuable said player is. Basically Trout was so far ahead before he went down that we seem to cap that because said player went down... somehow someway being good for more games is better than being legendary over a smaller length of time.... value is value... is there value when playing? of course but being that much better than everyone else shouldnt be capped because of time missed.
    Who's that?

Like I said in the Trout thread Sale is my pick right now. Yeah he only pitches every 5 games, but value is value. I never understood why people have objections to a pitcher winning it. Pitchers and position players are close to participating in the same amount of events across a season.
    I also don't really agree that if you miss a certain amount of games you shouldn't win the award. If Trout for example provides more value in 120 games than someone does in 160 doesn't that make him more valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    If Sale continues on this pace, he'll have the best statistical season since Pedro in 99'. Ironically, Pedro finished 2nd that year in the MVP race but was definitely the best player in the AL that year.

Sale has been 2 wins better than any other pitcher in baseball and 1 win better than any position player. Not to mention he could be the difference in the Red Sox winning the AL East potentially.
    There was a stat around the All-Star break that I saw that showed if Sale had gotten average run support in every game he pitched, his record would've been 17-1. I know wins suck as a statistic, but that's pretty incredible.

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

Best SP in baseball. No question.
    We will see what happens in the playoffs, but I doubt he struggles the way Kershaw has in his career so far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yea.... he is a god lol. Sale is a god

Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Like I said in the Trout thread Sale is my pick right now. Yeah he only pitches every 5 games, but value is value. I never understood why people have objections to a pitcher winning it. Pitchers and position players are close to participating in the same amount of events across a season.
    I also don't really agree that if you miss a certain amount of games you shouldn't win the award. If Trout for example provides more value in 120 games than someone does in 160 doesn't that make him more valuable?
    It does but the voters are always going to count it against a position player if he misses a quarter of the season. It speaks volumes to how great Trout is but history hasn't really been fair to him anyways. He should have 5 MVPs already.

I have no problem with a pitcher winning the MVP if no position player really stands out. Team success also does play a small role for me as well. With all that being said, if Altuve finishes the year with 30 HR and a BA north of .350 then you can't deny him the award. Especially with how the Astros are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I have no problem with a pitcher winning the MVP if no position player really stands out. Team success also does play a small role for me as well. With all that being said, if Altuve finishes the year with 30 HR and a BA north of .350 then you can't deny him the award. Especially with how the Astros are doing.
    Is that really more impressive than if Sale ends with 330+Ks, 13 K/9, and a BAA of .190? His WAR is 1.3 points higher right now too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

If Trout continues the pace then i dont see how he doesnt run away with it.

Best OPS, Slugging, OBP, wRC+, BB%, ISO in the AL. He is 4th in AL WAR and missed 45 games (38% of the season).

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Is that really more impressive than if Sale ends with 330+Ks, 13 K/9, and a BAA of .190? His WAR is 1.3 points higher right now too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it is because he plays everyday. As I said before, if no position player stands out then yes, Sale should get it. Right now Altuve is on fire and has been for the past month and a half though. I can see him staying above a .350 BA with ease too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast