Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Do the Astros have enough pitching for the post-season?

This was an article on ESPN.com yesterday, and something the talking heads on MLB Network Radio have hounded on ever since the deadline and the comments made by Dallas Keuchel. Do the Astros have the pitching to make it deep into the playoffs? As others have said, do they "have to" make a move for Justin Verlander?

Do the Astros have enough pitching for the post-season?

Pitching is a problem for them. I don't have their starter stats in front of me but remember that since Keuchel went down so did the pitching. They score runs tho.
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

I've been on the Cleveland bandwagon since they acquired Joe Smith. With that rotation, bullpen, and lineup they may be the best team in baseball with all due respect to the Dodgers.

I mean, I don't know. Their offense and solid enough bullpen should help carry them. They really only had Keuchel anyway as McCullers is unproven/can't stay healthy, Peacock has never been this good, McGugh has been back and forth, and Fiers is up and down too.

I think in a 7 game series, Keuchel is a guy to rely on 2-3 games possibly. But even the best pitcher in baseball hasn't lead his team deep in the post season. If they can just not lose games in the playoffs, the Astros will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    Pitching is a problem for them. I don't have their starter stats in front of me but remember that since Keuchel went down so did the pitching. They score runs tho.
    And since Keuchel has come back, he's been pretty bad himself.

Seemed pretty obvious that pitching isn't much of a strength for them. Ridiculous that they haven't tried to rectify it.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    And since Keuchel has come back, he's been pretty bad himself.

Seemed pretty obvious that pitching isn't much of a strength for them. Ridiculous that they haven't tried to rectify it.
    True. They have some players in their system that would have made good trade bait I am surprised they didn't make a solid move to get a starter. When the staff is playing to their potential they are solid and have an ace to lead them.
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

The way Keuchel, Peacock and McCullers pitched in the first half, their rotation was solid enough for the playoffs. Add a returning McHugh and it wasn't like they couldn't go toe toe to anyone with that offense. Problem is those guys have been injured or underperformed in the 2nd half.

They have the pieces, although I thought their bullpen could have used more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    True. They have some players in their system that would have made good trade bait I am surprised they didn't make a solid move to get a starter. When the staff is playing to their potential they are solid and have an ace to lead them.
    Teams that were dealing with them at the deadline stated that they have a large group of untouchable prospects, which made trading with them very difficult. The Orioles actually had a deal in place for Zach Britton, but one of the medicals flagged for the Orioles in a player they were getting (anyone dealing with the Orioles should be ready for this) and then the teams couldn't come to an agreement because the player that the Orioles wanted was on that list of untouchables.

I don't think so. None of their pitchers actually scare you in the postseason.

Keuchel is one of the more overrated pitchers out there and him sucking since he got hurt doesn't help.

McCullers has been terrible the second half and outside of that, it's a plethora of mediocrity. Unless they can pummel the opposition into submission, I can't see them getting out of the CS if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Teams that were dealing with them at the deadline stated that they have a large group of untouchable prospects, which made trading with them very difficult. The Orioles actually had a deal in place for Zach Britton, but one of the medicals flagged for the Orioles in a player they were getting (anyone dealing with the Orioles should be ready for this) and then the teams couldn't come to an agreement because the player that the Orioles wanted was on that list of untouchables.
    Heard this also. For the big fish trades like Quintana and Gray, they had like 6 prospects they were trying to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Heard this also. For the big fish trades like Quintana and Gray, they had like 6 prospects they were trying to protect.
    When you are talking deals for those two and Britton, just about everyone should be on the table IMO. I could understand trying to protect the #1 guy, but the Cubs went all-in last year and traded their top prospect to make that improvement last year. They have no regrets.

There pitching should be enough. Their hitting has been the best in the last 10 years.

Its their defense that might be their downfall - might be one of the worst defenses in the last decade according to the advanced stats on FGs (sans the 2016 and 2017 Oakland A's).

Its hard to believe that the defense is so bad when you consider how young and athletic this team is. Pretty much only Springer, Reddick and Bregman are positive contributors on the the defensive side of the ball.

We'll see how that hitting translates to the different animal that is the post season.