Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

New player rest rules coming

USA Today reported that the NBA is preparing to pass new prohibitions and scheduling changes to cut back on player-resting:
    The rules will be in place by the start of the 2017-18 season, and there will be consequences for teams that do not adhere to them.
    Silver hinted at the idea of teams not resting multiple starters in the same game and not resting a starter for away games.
    Don’t be surprised if there is a rule against resting healthy players for marquee national TV games.
    Among the schedule changes:
    • The league will start a week earlier this season, creating more days to play an 82-game schedule.
    • Elimination of four games in five days and 18 games in 30 days.
    • Reduction of back-to-backs – 14.9 per team down from 16.3 per team last season.
    • Reduction of single-game road trips by 17%.
    - Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports

These athletes today are a bunch of babies. Teams need to stop taking advantage of people and offer fans something if a player is not playing. Very sad group of team management who treat the fans like crap despite them being the reason why the NBA is handing out these contracts. Good job for Silver. A player should NEVER be rested for away games unless they are not medically cleared to do so. It's their job to play through being tired. That giant T.V. deal must have had the NBA rethinking their priorities. Big matchup on national television and you sit your best player(s)? lame.

Soccer and baseball (and maybe even hockey, I know nothing about hockey) all rest players regularly throughout the season. I honestly don't see a problem with resting players occasionally, but I do think it is ****** when a team like Golden State rests everyone on the same day. It's basically throwing a game away and telling fans who paid a lot to go **** off. Their job is to win championships and resting can help with that, but it needs to be reasonable.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

I like it personally...these guys get paid way too much to rest if healthy enough to play. I bet if they had to forfeit their game check if they sat out not many would. It's a disservice to the fans who pay to watch them. I understand it's usually a coaches decision and they are doing what they deem best for the team, and that's why I like these rules preventing coaches from making those decisions. Roll out your guys every game they can physically play health wise, regular people can't just call in to work for a rest day and neither should these ridiculously rich and pampered athletes that people spend their hard earned money to buy tickets to see.
    Last edited by SportsFanatic10; 08-11-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Legends Last Forever
    Thanks For An Amazing 13 Years Wade

This does nothing... There is nothing to like or dislike because its not going to work... the league cant prove a guy isnt healthy... the warriors are sitting durant because of illness... the cavs are sitting lebron because of leg soreness... boom. Rules dodged.

Let the league come out and say so and so isnt healthy and must play... it will never ever happen because they arent stupid and would be liable if they get hurt after along with the horrid PR nightmare. If I am the warriors and I am sitting curry/durant I am calling it illness.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    This does nothing... There is nothing to like or dislike because its not going to work... the league cant prove a guy isnt healthy... the warriors are sitting durant because of illness... the cavs are sitting lebron because of leg soreness... boom. Rules dodged.

Let the league come out and say so and so isnt healthy and must play... it will never ever happen because they arent stupid and would be liable if they get hurt after along with the horrid PR nightmare. If I am the warriors and I am sitting curry/durant I am calling it illness.
    Well at least we won't see things like Pop putting Duncan down as a DNP - Old. lol I did like it in a way because he was being honest but they'll have to try harder now I guess lol. There really isn't a solid solution other then cutting down on the schedule but we all know that won't happen cuz $$$.

Legends Last Forever
    Thanks For An Amazing 13 Years Wade

Thank god

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Can't any team... for any player... at any time... list some type of minor injury to circumvent that rule?

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Can't any team... for any player... at any time... list some type of minor injury to circumvent that rule?
    yup... stomach flu... good luck trying to debunk that.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Of course the NBA can't make these guys act like men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Soccer and baseball (and maybe even hockey, I know nothing about hockey) all rest players regularly throughout the season. I honestly don't see a problem with resting players occasionally, but I do think it is ****** when a team like Golden State rests everyone on the same day. It's basically throwing a game away and telling fans who paid a lot to go **** off. Their job is to win championships and resting can help with that, but it needs to be reasonable.
    baseball is 162 games and soccer players do not rest throughout the season unless they are hurt or its a non league game like some BS cup and most are playing 90+ mins per game.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post

Exactly. The scheduling changes were announced months ago, and the health stuff is just PR. This whole announcement was just thrown out there because literally nothing was happening in the news for the NBA.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Everybody has to stop talking like the players in the past were tough compared to today's players. Things are wildly different now than they were then. Players are bigger, faster, stronger, have lower body fat, higher muscle mass, and spend FAR more time working on their body and game than ever before. Players today also play harder than they did back in the day. Add to that that the trainers are monitoring the bodies of the players at a higher level than ever before.

As for teams giving something back when players are rested ... sorry, that's the way the world works. The ticket says there will be a show, it does NOT say who will be in the show. If you buy a ticket to a game and the player you wanted to see gets traded before the game do you expect money back? If they are injured? Rest is pre-injury, but the trainers are saying the player is close to injuring themselves by seeing that their play has been slipping in previous games. Would you rather see a player play bad and the team lose because of it?
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    baseball is 162 games and soccer players do not rest throughout the season unless they are hurt or its a non league game like some BS cup and most are playing 90+ mins per game.
    162 games in about 181 days too. That's roughly 20 days off.

82 games in 176 days. That's about 90 off days.

Yea......baseball players deserve a few extra off days.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Everybody has to stop talking like the players in the past were tough compared to today's players. Things are wildly different now than they were then. Players are bigger, faster, stronger, have lower body fat, higher muscle mass, and spend FAR more time working on their body and game than ever before. Players today also play harder than they did back in the day. Add to that that the trainers are monitoring the bodies of the players at a higher level than ever before.

As for teams giving something back when players are rested ... sorry, that's the way the world works. The ticket says there will be a show, it does NOT say who will be in the show. If you buy a ticket to a game and the player you wanted to see gets traded before the game do you expect money back? If they are injured? Rest is pre-injury, but the trainers are saying the player is close to injuring themselves by seeing that their play has been slipping in previous games. Would you rather see a player play bad and the team lose because of it?
    your big 3 are tough

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast