Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Joe Mauer a Hall of Famer in your book?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

13 92.86%
  • Need to see how he finishes his career

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    I love him, but I have a hard time saying he is.
    He's a HOFer. Considering the lack of 2nd basemans in the HOF and his career resume, it would be hard to keep him out.

Utley has a 64 fWAR, played well above average second base, and put up five 7+ WAR seasons...he's a lock IMO

Biggio just got in, I have a hard time believing Utley (who IMO is the better player) doesn't get in with very similar numbers.
    Last edited by Zmaster52; 08-09-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Certainly by some.
    Probably best not to be swayed by the arguments of such people.

He should be considered a catcher for the time that he caught, and a first baseman for the time that he played first base.

Only if you confuse cause and effect.

He was moved from catching due to age and injury - things that might also impact hitting ability.

Without a reversal in the trend of his performance, I wouldn't support a Mauer HOF candidacy.
    That's my point. That's what they did to him. But the numbers went down anyways.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 08-09-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Utley has a 64 fWAR, played well above average second base, and put up five 7+ WAR seasons...he's a lock IMO

Biggio just got in, I have a hard time believing Utley (who IMO is the better player) doesn't get in with very similar numbers.
    Utley lacks in the compilation department. Plus his 2010-present (.259/.341/.418) seasons are hardly HOF-material. I think someone like Lou Whitaker would make a better candidate.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Utley lacks in the compilation department. Plus his 2010-present (.259/.341/.418) seasons are hardly HOF-material. I think someone like Lou Whitaker would make a better candidate.
    What do you mean by compilation department? As in he doesn't have the "traditional" numbers?

Brilliant with the glove and brilliant with the bat...I'm actually shocked the dude doesn't have an MVP.

Mauer's case will relate completely to his performance as a catcher, and how we view his "peak" versus the rest. It's the Mattingly argument with a twist, this time related to his position. I think he falls short IMO, especially with the catchers going in right now who were at the end of their career, and his contemporaries in Yadi Molina and Buster Posey.

That's my point. That's what they did to him. But the numbers went down anyways.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/a2a6hE9r4aThS/giphy.gif

Maybe, and this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out, maybe the numbers would have gone down even more if they hadn't moved him to first.

What do you mean by compilation department? As in he doesn't have the "traditional" numbers?

Brilliant with the glove and brilliant with the bat...I'm actually shocked the dude doesn't have an MVP.
    He's got a higher career OPS+ than HOFers Ryan Sandberg, Roberto Alomar, and Craig Biggio. He's a HOFer.

So is Robinson Cano now that we are talking about potential HOFers at 2nd base.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    He's got a higher career OPS+ than HOFers Ryan Sandberg, Roberto Alomar, and Craig Biggio. He's a HOFer.

So is Robinson Cano now that we are talking about potential HOFers at 2nd base.
    Utley
    .301/.388/.535 (138 wRC+) 38 WAR from 2005 to 2009 (5 years)
    .288/.374/.492 (129 wRC+) 59.5 WAR from 2005 to 2014 (10 years)

That's good enough for me

I agree. You would think that move would have helped.

You are just mad he didn't do the same for the Dodgers as he did for the Phillies
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

He signed like an 8/184 deal...as a catcher going into your 30s, I don't see how that was a good investment even in hindsight. Sucking might be extreme but IMO he sucked for the money he was getting paid lol.
    It may not look good now, or even a year or two after...but at the time, the players union would have cried foul if Joe got anything less and teams like the Yankees were all but ready to offer more if given the chance.

But, you can't vote for a guy's HOF chances before his career is over. Even as a Twins fan, I wouldn't see it right now. But batting champions as a catcher are very rare and he did that twice?

It shouldn't be a huge surprise his average didn't stay as high after his move. After all, his great eye at the plate was partially enhanced by seeing the umpire's strikezone first hand for every opponent AB
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    He was moved from catching due to age and injury
    Not really, tho those things fed into it. A large part of the reason for the move is that he kept growing!
    Not many 6'5"+ catchers out there

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Not really, tho those things fed into it. A large part of the reason for the move is that he kept growing!
    Not many 6'5"+ catchers out there
    Citation requested

Didn't Mauer have at least one concussion?
    And didn't that effect his vision?
    And wasn't that a large part of the reason they moved him off of catcher?
    And wouldn't it stand to reason the blurred visions might make hitting more difficult?

As I said, it all came into play. But some of his other injuries were less likely to happen if not for his continued growth. He had injuries involving his knees and back before his concussion, where he missed a month and yes, it was at that time they decided on a full time move for him. And yes, he did he had some blurred vision due to that concussion which most definitely effected his hitting.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/12...ected-hitting/

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    As I said, it all came into play. But some of his other injuries were less likely to happen if not for his continued growth. He had injuries involving his knees and back before his concussion, where he missed a month and yes, it was at that time they decided on a full time move for him. And yes, he did he had some blurred vision due to that concussion which most definitely effected his hitting.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/12...ected-hitting/
    And something about his continuing to grow?
    I've never heard that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast