Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Joe Mauer a Hall of Famer in your book?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

13 92.86%
  • Need to see how he finishes his career

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Joe Mauer's Hall of Fame Candidacy

What are your thoughts on Joey for the Hall of fame?

As a catcher, he looks worthy
    As a first basemen, he doesn't

He's had to move to first, but has shown the glove and bat over his career, along with an MVP and one organization and decent longevity.

Twins fans will advocate I'm sure. Good guy Joe, is he a Hall of Famer?

It's kind of weird that you move someone away from the catcher's position and his offensive numbers go down immediately.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I don't think so. Don't think his numbers are good enough.

I'll always remember Mauer like Ellsbury - having that one crazy good year, signing a mega deal that was obviously bad, and sucking all throughout it.

HOF? LOL that is a hell no.

He would have to play until he's damn near 45 at a 2 WAR level to get the nod. That's not going to happen.

I wouldn't put him in. He was on a HOF pace, which is unfortunate. But someone who posted in here thinks Posey should be in right now. If he's a HOF Mauer should be too.

If Mauer was the face of the modern day dynasty then he would be a lock as well.

Voters will always place a special emphasis on the elite player(s) from a dynasty. They aren't going to be unrepresented in the HOF.

Mauer is definitely more than a chance. I'd guess maybe 30 percent right now. He has the following:
    a career .307/.390./442 line. with an OPS+ of 126
    3 batting titles.
    Awards: an MVP (4 total top 10 finishes), three gold gloves, five silver sluggers, six All-Star teams

The counting stats are a little low: 1,917 hits, 928 runs, 385 doubles, 135 homers, 845 RBI, 870 walks but

He's at 51.3 WAR. That would put him at 11th on the catcher's list (And he still counts as a catcher by position: (920 at C, 471 at 1st, 270 at DH)

That's a really good resume for a guy who has no chance.

There's no catcher in the pipeline ahead of him. Pudge went in right away, Posada fell off right away. There is no one worth anything through the 2021 ballot. His only competition is probably going to be Molina. The next would be, maybe McCann, before Posey is up well after they hit the ballot. So there won't be too much of a comparison against the rest of the ballot. I think he's going to get a significant portion of the full ballot voters.

The easiest way to describe him is HOF player in his 20s but mediocre player at the mlb level for the remainder of his career.

He needs a late career resurgence with the bat. Then we can talk.

By the time his career is over he will be considered as a 1b right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I don't think so. Don't think his numbers are good enough.

I'll always remember Mauer like Ellsbury - having that one crazy good year, signing a mega deal that was obviously bad, and sucking all throughout it.
    I think "sucking all throughout it" might be a little extreme. It wasn't a great contract but he hit .319+ in 3 of the 4 seasons right after signing the deal and the other year he hit .287 with injury problems. He's never had big power numbers outside of 2009 which is why he's not as valuable at 1B. He's still a career .307 hitter and had good years before signing the contract too.

That said, I'm not sure he's HoF worthy.
    Last edited by RCarlson85; 08-09-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Is Don Mattingly in the HOF? No.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Is Don Mattingly in the HOF? No.
    Different positions, but Chase Utley?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    By the time his career is over he will be considered as a 1b right?
    Certainly by some.
    Probably best not to be swayed by the arguments of such people.

He should be considered a catcher for the time that he caught, and a first baseman for the time that he played first base.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    It's kind of weird that you move someone away from the catcher's position and his offensive numbers go down immediately.
    Only if you confuse cause and effect.

He was moved from catching due to age and injury - things that might also impact hitting ability.

Without a reversal in the trend of his performance, I wouldn't support a Mauer HOF candidacy.
    A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.
    - Salman Rushdie

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    óGreg King

REPORT MISOGYNISTIC POSTS

*Thread deleted by PSD - apparently PSD's stance on misogyny isn't a topic they want to discuss. With good reason, it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Different positions, but Chase Utley?
    I think Utley is a HoFer and I can't stand him.

Quote Originally Posted by RCarlson85 View Post
    I think "sucking all throughout it" might be a little extreme. It wasn't a great contract but he hit .319+ in 3 of the 4 seasons right after signing the deal and the other year he hit .287 with injury problems. He's never had big power numbers outside of 2009 which is why he's not as valuable at 1B. He's still a career .307 hitter and had good years before signing the contract too.

That said, I'm not sure he's HoF worthy.
    He signed like an 8/184 deal...as a catcher going into your 30s, I don't see how that was a good investment even in hindsight. Sucking might be extreme but IMO he sucked for the money he was getting paid lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I think Utley is a HoFer and I can't stand him.
    I love him, but I have a hard time saying he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast