Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    37,249
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I understand that the word isn't always used to degrade homosexuals and I won't pretend I've never done it but the word really should be wiped out of our vocabulary and adults should be able to understand not to use it in any circumstance. Really that simple.
    I've recently started eliminating the F and even the G (sub for lame) word but the G word in particular still comes out sometimes. I agree though, those are words that sensible adults shouldn't use. I just used them so freely back in the day that they slip at times.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Why would you use sexual orientation to insult another person -- unless you believed there was something inherently inferior about being gay?
    Because in the heat of the moment, sexual orientation is one of the furthest things from your mind, your words are just directed at the one person.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,391

    A's Matt Joyce Suspended 2 games for using anti gay slur

    Pathetic. MLB turning into ******* and scared of what the Mainstream Media will say if they didn't ban him. What a pathetic decision. I dislike the idea of homosexuality. I disagree with it completely. I'm entitled to say whatever I want. I wish they would let him. And I wish he had the balls to come out and say, they wanna fire me, then go ahead and fire me. Because I'm entitled to whatever I'm choose to say and no one can try and manipulate me into saying or thinking otherwise.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    33,301

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    49,848
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    Pathetic. MLB turning into ******* and scared of what the Mainstream Media will say if they didn't ban him. What a pathetic decision. I dislike the idea of homosexuality. I disagree with it completely. I'm entitled to say whatever I want. I wish they would let him. And I wish he had the balls to come out and say, they wanna fire me, then go ahead and fire me. Because I'm entitled to whatever I'm choose to say and no one can try and manipulate me into saying or thinking otherwise.
    Actually, no you're not. Especially as an employee. I mean, I guess physically, you can go ahead and say whatever you want because only you control your mouth, but if you think that you're entitled to be consequence free afterwards, then you're sadly mistaken. And if Matt Joyce would rather say a stupid, degrading word than make, oh, millions of dollars? Then sure, he should tell the Athletics to fire him. But chances are, he'd rather just not say the word and collect his salary.

    The Athletics and the MLB have every right to not alienate a group of people (whether you like them or not) who may be fans. And as the employers of Matt Joyce can suspend him as they see fit. Matt Joyce is very lucky he has the kind of job he does, because I assure you, if I called a client/customer that in my line of work, I would not have a job...and I believe that almost any one else, in any profession, would see the same response from their employer as well. Matt Joyce doesn't get paid for 2 days and gets a little vacation. He's incredibly lucky.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-07-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    1st Place...the only place that matters


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A Phillies Phan in Ocean Twp & BKLYN
    Posts
    6,555
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPosey View Post
    And no. Calling a straight man a ****** in the middle of being berated is not insulting homosexuals. It's insulting the person you're insulting. Don't be that dense. You don't get to throw the weight of the world on a moment of verbal exchange between two people.
    Being gay is not a bad thing. How is calling someone it an insult if it's not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    24,482
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Because in the heat of the moment, sexual orientation is one of the furthest things from your mind, your words are just directed at the one person.
    What? You did not offer a reasonable defense. There's no point in trying to insult soneone by calling them a *** unless you think it is derogatory and insulting. It says a LOT about the person making the comment.

    What would be furthest from my mind would be whether or not Im a hockey fan - if thats your intent, why not call try to insult me by saying i like hockey.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  8. 08-07-2017, 10:36 AM
    Reason
    Stop

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    30,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Why would you use sexual orientation to insult another person -- unless you believed there was something inherently inferior about being gay?
    Come on man, don't be dense. It's still often used as an insult without the "gay bashing" context. The word was always an insult because being homosexual was looked at as a bad thing but even as people have become less hateful and more accepting the word itself has remained an insult. We should try and move past that and not use it like that anymore but it's ridiculous to pretend that the word has no "alternate meaning" today.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    30,814
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    Pathetic. MLB turning into ******* and scared of what the Mainstream Media will say if they didn't ban him. What a pathetic decision. I dislike the idea of homosexuality. I disagree with it completely. I'm entitled to say whatever I want. I wish they would let him. And I wish he had the balls to come out and say, they wanna fire me, then go ahead and fire me. Because I'm entitled to whatever I'm choose to say and no one can try and manipulate me into saying or thinking otherwise.
    Damn ****ing straight. This is 'Merica, not Gay Fairy Land.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    26,884
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Actually, no you're not. Especially as an employee. I mean, I guess physically, you can go ahead and say whatever you want because only you control your mouth, but if you think that you're entitled to be consequence free afterwards, then you're sadly mistaken. And if Matt Joyce would rather say a stupid, degrading word than make, oh, millions of dollars? Then sure, he should tell the Athletics to fire him. But chances are, he'd rather just not say the word and collect his salary.

    The Athletics and the MLB have every right to not alienate a group of people (whether you like them or not) who may be fans. And as the employers of Matt Joyce can suspend him as they see fit. Matt Joyce is very lucky he has the kind of job he does, because I assure you, if I called a client/customer that in my line of work, I would not have a job...and I believe that almost any one else, in any profession, would see the same response from their employer as well. Matt Joyce doesn't get paid for 2 days and gets a little vacation. He's incredibly lucky.
    Agreed. If you used that word in any other line of work to insult someone, you would be out of a job. Whether you believe there is an alternative context to the word or that people have become desensitized to certain vernacular, that doesn't negate the textbook definition of the word and all the years of hate associated with it. You wouldn't call a black friend a ****** if you were white and expect it to be without repercussion. Why would you call someone a gay slur and expect it be okay? Why? Because you've used it with your other male friends?

    These guys are out there in front of thousands of people in the ballpark and millions of people at home everyday. They should be setting a better example. Its no different than the NBA moving the ASG last year from Charlotte because of the LGBT law. If you represent an organization that is trying to be all inclusive to its fan base and you insult a group of people by using hateful language, that organization should have every right to suspend or fire you.

    2 games is a slap on the wrist compared to what most companies would do.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-07-2017 at 12:24 PM.

  12. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A Phillies Phan in Ocean Twp & BKLYN
    Posts
    6,555
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Come on man, don't be dense. It's still often used as an insult without the "gay bashing" context. The word was always an insult because being homosexual was looked at as a bad thing but even as people have become less hateful and more accepting the word itself has remained an insult. We should try and move past that and not use it like that anymore but it's ridiculous to pretend that the word has no "alternate meaning" today.
    Being that gay male athletes are the last to feel comfortable about coming out, the question is why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  13. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    What? You did not offer a reasonable defense. There's no point in trying to insult soneone by calling them a *** unless you think it is derogatory and insulting. It says a LOT about the person making the comment.

    What would be furthest from my mind would be whether or not Im a hockey fan - if thats your intent, why not call try to insult me by saying i like hockey.
    You like hockey
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  14. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    30,814
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Being that gay male athletes are the last to feel comfortable about coming out, the question is why.
    Because old habits die hard. If someone grew up calling something "gay" meaning lame or "f....." as a general insult then that's stuck in memory. We're much more aware now that we shouldn't use those words but there still used out of habit in those non-homosexual contexts now. We should all stop using those words for sure but let's not go injecting prejudice into situations where there is none. It's important that we try and get rid of those words completely so punishments and training for slipping up are needed but we shouldn't take something non-discriminatory in nature and make it so.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  15. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A Phillies Phan in Ocean Twp & BKLYN
    Posts
    6,555
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Because old habits die hard. If someone grew up calling something "gay" meaning lame or "f....." as a general insult then that's stuck in memory. We're much more aware now that we shouldn't use those words but there still used out of habit in those non-homosexual contexts now. We should all stop using those words for sure but let's not go injecting prejudice into situations where there is none. It's important that we try and get rid of those words completely so punishments and training for slipping up are needed but we shouldn't take something non-discriminatory in nature and make it so.
    That did not answer the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  16. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    30,814
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    That did not answer the question.
    I guess I don't understand what your question is then.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •