Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

A's Matt Joyce Suspended 2 games for using anti gay slur

After a heated eighth-inning exchange with a fan in Friday night's game that prompted Oakland A's outfielder Matt Joyce to yell a gay slur, the team says the commissioner's office has opened an investigation on the incident.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3387085

I don't know if Joyce is a raging anti-homosexual or not, but I wouldn't assume so based only on this incident.

Unfortunately, these types of insults are common. Joyce may very well have meant this as a generic insult and could have as easily called the fan an "*******", a "********", "piece of ****", whatever. But, he chose this specific slur to insult the fan with. He didn't just insult the fan, he insulted millions of homosexuals by insinuating that being homosexual is a negative - even if he doesn't actually believe that.

Hopefully, MLB won't unduly crackdown on Joyce (what duly cracking down might be will depend on the investigation) but will realize that this is a part of MLB (and sports) culture, and appropriately address that issue.
    A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.
    - Salman Rushdie

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    óGreg King

REPORT MISOGYNISTIC POSTS

*Thread deleted by PSD - apparently PSD's stance on misogyny isn't a topic they want to discuss. With good reason, it appears.

His suspension falls in line with what Pillar got last year for using the same slur. I don't know what the proper punishment is because players say a lot of dumb **** in the heat of the moment. Obviously MLB has a precedent here in terms of punishment and they're going to stick to that precedent.

Lol.. This sport is ****ing hilarious... Call someone a gay slur 2 games... throw 100 at a guys head-told not to do it again.

A gay slur just isn't the same as a racial slur, IMO. But people have their own opinions.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

What a stupid reason to suspend a player. Give me a break

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sure, Joyce is getting the same that Pillar got for the same thing, but meanwhile, the fan who yelled a racial slur at Adam Jones was ejected from Fenway and given a lifetime ban.

Ban a fan for life for this, suspend a player who represents a team in your league for two games.......something doesn't add up here.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Sure, Joyce is getting the same that Pillar got for the same thing, but meanwhile, the fan who yelled a racial slur at Adam Jones was ejected from Fenway and given a lifetime ban.

Ban a fan for life for this, suspend a player who represents a team in your league for two games.......something doesn't add up here.
    Stadiums also issue lifetime bans to fans who run on the field so the criteria is skewed a tad bit. Perhaps, they should be more concerned with fans yelling obscenities and slurs at players and treat that more harshly than they do some drunken idiot running on the field. I get the running on the field thing is a safety concern but MLB doesn't necessarily have their priorities in order in that regard.

Should MLB have a stronger punishment for players using racist and homophobic remarks? Sure but the level of punishment is entirely subjective. What's appropriate? 5 games? 10 games? 50 games?

0 games. It's an unbelievably stupid reason to suspend any player.
    Im sure he didn't just randomly call the fan a f....t out of the blue. I'm sure the fan instigated it with some sort of profanty/heckling of his own and Joyce gave it right back. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    What a stupid reason to suspend a player. Give me a break

Right?
    I can't think of another industry where the employees aren't allowed to yell slurs at the customers.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Lol.. This sport is ****ing hilarious... Call someone a gay slur 2 games... throw 100 at a guys head-told not to do it again.
    Cole Hamels was suspended 5 games after he admitted to intentionally hitting Bryce Harper in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    A gay slur just isn't the same as a racial slur, IMO.
    Why is that?
    A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.
    - Salman Rushdie

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    óGreg King

*Thread deleted by PSD - apparently PSD's stance on misogyny isn't a topic they want to discuss. With good reason, it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    0 games. It's an unbelievably stupid reason to suspend any player.
    Im sure he didn't just randomly call the fan a f....t out of the blue. I'm sure the fan instigated it with some sort of profanty/heckling of his own and Joyce gave it right back. Good for him.
    See, you appear to be one of those that's missing the point.

If Joyce had seen two guys holding hands in the bleachers and, unprovoked, had called them the slur, I'd hope that the MLB would have had a more severe punishment.

As I said in the OP, there are lots of names that you can call people that don't insult millions of other people.
    - Salman Rushdie

óGreg King

I like how the A's are donating Joyce's salary for those two days (54k) to an organization that supports LGBTQ folk. That's both a good gesture and good way to cover your tracks. He made his apologies and now let's move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I like how the A's are donating Joyce's salary for those two days (54k) to an organization that supports LGBTQ folk. That's both a good gesture and good way to cover your tracks. He made his apologies and now let's move on.
    They're copying what Pillar did and it's a good move.

At the end of the day I could care less if somebody uses the word ****** but these are pro athletes who are constantly under the public eye. They're role models. Most of us grew up hearing the slur ****** tossed around carelessly but times change. I think they made the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Most of us grew up hearing the slur ****** tossed around carelessly
    Most people did

At the end of the day I could care less if somebody uses the word ******
    And this is the problem that results and why it shouldn't be tossed around carelessly.

I'll excuse kids so,
    Kids grow up hearing it used just like they hear a millions other words, but, they don't actually think about what it means and why someone would use it as an insult.

Some adults haven't moved past that kind of thinking.
    - Salman Rushdie

óGreg King

****ing soft

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Right?
    I can't think of another industry where the employees aren't allowed to yell slurs at the customers.

Cole Hamels was suspended 5 games after he admitted to intentionally hitting Bryce Harper in the back.

Why is that?
    Ya because this is totally just like every other job in the world and I completely agree we should just compare everything unilaterally across the board when it fits something we want to be recreationally outraged by. Give me a break dude.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast