Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

PSD Discord Chat?

Having returned after a good six month long absence or so, I notice that PSD still seems to be having problems retaining user interest and motivating users to come back to the forum frequently (and I applaud the steps taken by Soop, Thomas and others to rectify this). As an admin of a couple of forums myself, I had that exact trouble with one of said forums about a year ago. One thing that helped immensely was the idea someone had of creating a Discord chat for the forum, so that people could talk more outside of the forum and create stronger connections. Because the userbase wasn't nearly as large as this, it took a little while for it to gain momentum, but before too long the forum was thriving in a way it hadn't seen in the past 3-4 years. Hell, even people who don't use that forum anymore come back to that chat just to small-talk, and in some cases those people ended up returning to become more active members of the forum again.

I know there is technically an existing chat or two on places like chatandgo and chatzy, however neither are particularly mobile-friendly and the interfaces aren't really conducive to a particularly laid-back atmosphere. With Discord you can create different text channels for whatever suits your fancy, so one could have text channels for each different major sport, a general discussion one, ones for the different redrafts and forum games, and really anything else for general small-talk. To some this may seem conducive to people becoming less inclined to use the forum, however again, from my experience, it's had the exact opposite effect. Additionally the interface is simple without being terribly banal, the sign-up process is not a hassle at all (completely free), and you can use it on the mobile app, browser, or desktop application. This compatibility makes it far more likely that someone would be willing to come back to it and use it frequently than it would with something like Chatzy.

Discord has a lot of gamer connotations to it, which might drive people off, however I've noticed that more and more people are using it for things unrelated to gaming (one of those being the forum I administrate) because it so thoroughly eclipses the competition when it comes to text chats. So I would highly encourage the mods to consider this, and if there's anything that you need in terms of help getting it started I would be more than happy to assist.

I disagree, Chatango is mobile friendly and the app is decent enough. The intent was to find a platform that was safe and good enough for those that play. I think it's important that non-mods can't see another members IP address, that includes PSD members playing the games on another site. To avoid that PSD mods should be the only ones that are able to view that personal info. Regular members sharing another's personal info with their PSD friend(s) is a no-no.

Since it's a grey area that could get them perma'd, it was best to take the mod power away from PSD regulars that ran Chatzy. I never had any issues with Chatango and I've been using it for some time now. Suggesting a new site every year or two might make it more difficult on the users/league adjusting to it. Basically, if it's not broke then there's no need to fix it.

Btw, thanks for the mention but as of last week I've stepped down and no longer a part of the staff. My priorities pushed PSD a few levels down which made my commitment to this site a concern for me. I'll still be a member and post here, just don't have the necessary time to make any site decisions. No worries though, great things are happening for me and you guys are in good hands here.

That reminds me, I need to handover the chatango groups. TT/Rush, please remind me if I somehow forgot to take care of this in the week ahead. I'll try and look into it tonight and see if it gives me the option of assigning Admins on Chatango.

Quote Originally Posted by Soop View Post
    The intent was to find a platform that was safe and good enough for those that play. I think it's important that non-mods can't see another members IP address, that includes PSD members playing the games on another site. To avoid that PSD mods should be the only ones that are able to view that personal info. Regular members sharing another's personal info with their PSD friend(s) is a no-no.
    Not sure what this has to do with anything. I'm not advocating for PSD regulars controlling this, and at any rate Discord doesn't require/share any personal information like IP addresses even with the chat administrators. Also this idea is not game-exclusive: my vision was just an all-encompassing PSD chat. Discord allows different sub-chats, or channels, for different discussions, so we could have different channels for general talk regarding each of the major sports, as well as one or two "game" channels for whatever redraft/mock offseason is going on at the time.

Chatandgo is a passable interface, but even then I've noticed that they've condensed all discussion for both PSD games going on right now into one chat because the two separate chats weren't very active as standalones. Having everything under one roof (Discord) solves that problem while giving further chances for people to connect outside of the forum atmosphere. And again, from my experience as a forum admin, the way to get people invigorated in your site again is not to inject it with bells and whistles and other changes, but to strengthen the community and its bond, and I think this idea would do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Long Shot View Post
    Not sure what this has to do with anything. I'm not advocating for PSD regulars controlling this, and at any rate Discord doesn't require/share any personal information like IP addresses even with the chat administrators. Also this idea is not game-exclusive: my vision was just an all-encompassing PSD chat. Discord allows different sub-chats, or channels, for different discussions, so we could have different channels for general talk regarding each of the major sports, as well as one or two "game" channels for whatever redraft/mock offseason is going on at the time.

Chatandgo is a passable interface, but even then I've noticed that they've condensed all discussion for both PSD games going on right now into one chat because the two separate chats weren't very active as standalones. Having everything under one roof (Discord) solves that problem while giving further chances for people to connect outside of the forum atmosphere. And again, from my experience as a forum admin, the way to get people invigorated in your site again is not to inject it with bells and whistles and other changes, but to strengthen the community and its bond, and I think this idea would do just that.
    Just explaining why the switch was made. I assumed there was going to be admins/owners of chat groups that would be able to view the IP's, my bad. Since that's not the case, hackers would have to hack directly into the data centers/servers to get IP or other information - making it harder for a skilled hacker. That is much safer than Chatzy and Chatango so I do like that part of the proposed app. I admit this is the first time hearing about the app, haven't looked into it but it seems like it can be useful.

TLS,

I appreciate the suggestion, but I think PSD is too big for this. Not only do we have our community in the main sports forums, but there are large communities in the team subforms, and a lot of activity in those team forums is generated from GDT/IGT's, which we would be discouraging if we had a chat room program up.

Also, my experience as a forum owner is quite different from yours, and if I were to ever run my own again, I would not be adding a chat box.

The staff is discussing this, but the majority seem to not be in favor of it. Not to mention, this is still taking people off the site, and I am not sure the folks who run the site want us to do, so even if we do approve it at a staff level, Rush and I have to take it to them to sign off on.