Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: will Cena break the record?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

8 100.00%
  • no

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WWE: Will John Cena get his 17th title reign and break Flair record eventually?

Pretty simple question. I thought this could make for an interesting discussion though. I heard Flair was asked about it recently and he said he doesn't think Cena is going to break it. His point was that Cena isn't going to be around much anymore and is only going to be a special attraction, like the Undertaker.

I can see it going either way really. I thought it was a slam dunk before, but Flair has a point. If Cena does have another title reign, he won't last longer than a month or two. Still, to say he is never going to have another title reign the rest of his career seems like a longshot. He could even do something like the Rock and comeback at a mania several years from now and break it.

Cena is a wrestling fan though, and he might not want to break it. I have never heard him say one way or the other. I know Flair is fine with him breaking it, but maybe Cena would rather be tied with him. Then again I can see Vince wanting someone that is a WWE homegrown guy having that to himself.

I'm sure most people are going to vote yes, he will break it, but I don't think it's a definite anymore like it once was.

Its more of a matter of when and not if for me.

And I say this, because I never thought I would see HHH win the title again, and he did in 2016 and I can see Cena doing the same from Rumble to Mania putting over someone else

now if you said will he break it a year from now. then i might be more like ehhhhhhhhh and probably would say no

First Sim League Title!

Yeah, I'm leaning toward yes as well. Maybe a better question would have been when. I think they wait a few years to do it. I can see him challenging for it a mania say 3 years from now after he has been gone for awhile, winning it, and then dropping it to someone else.

I think he deserves it. Since I've gotten back into the product I have moved from disliking him to realizing that he is one of the best and absolutely deserves to get a 17th (and possible more) title win.

Really the only things that I don't think were done in the best interest of both people is what he did with Nexus (and he's admitted this was wrong) as well as his feuds with Rusev. I believe that Riv (sorry if it was someone else) and I have disagreed on this fact. But I really think it did a disservice to him. Cena going over in the flag match really doesn't bother me as what happened at WM 31. I mean he came out on a damn tank. He should have won the match.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I think he deserves it. Since I've gotten back into the product I have moved from disliking him to realizing that he is one of the best and absolutely deserves to get a 17th (and possible more) title win.

Really the only things that I don't think were done in the best interest of both people is what he did with Nexus (and he's admitted this was wrong) as well as his feuds with Rusev. I believe that Riv (sorry if it was someone else) and I have disagreed on this fact. But I really think it did a disservice to him. Cena going over in the flag match really doesn't bother me as what happened at WM 31. I mean he came out on a damn tank. He should have won the match.

I have no problem with him breaking the record either. He is in the twilight of his career and look at what he has done the last few years. He put over Owens, AJ and Nakamura and helped elevate them into stars. He has gotten knocked for his limited ability as well, but the last 5 years or so he has probably had better matches than anyone. I think he was Punks best opponent. They had great chemistry together.

I agree about Nexus. I remember Edge talking about it once on Jerichos podcast and how Cena changed the ending and Edge didn't understand it and thought it was a mistake, but he was already out of the match and said it didn't effect him so he didn't care.

I'm torn on Rusev. That was Rusevs first loss and he hasn't been the same since. I think there was real money there with an undefeated Rusev going against Lesnar. I can't see Rusev as a credible opponent for Lesnar now. Although, Cena after he won that match had a great run with the US title and put on some great matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post

And I say this, because I never thought I would see HHH win the title again, and he did in 2016 and I can see Cena doing the same from Rumble to Mania putting over someone else

now if you said will he break it a year from now. then i might be more like ehhhhhhhhh and probably would say no
    this.

I don't think they'd let him get to 16 if they didn't plan on letting him break it. I'm like 99% sure he breaks it. He's gonna be pushed as WWE's GOAT when he's all said and done.

I was a huge hater too for a long time, and even still root for him to lose, but his AMAZING 2015 with the US title open challenge really made me respect him. he had like 7-8 classic matches that year. He followed it up with a great 2016 in that AJ feud also. I still think he's below KO and AJ ring-wise, but it's crazy that he had EASILY had better matches with each of them, than AJ and KO have ever had with each other. 5 yrs ago i woulda *****ed about him breaking the record, but now I think he deserves it. I boo him out of respect now.

I would probably leave him off a Mount Rushmore of WWF/E but he would be just barely off. Like 5 or 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8:31790770
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post

this.

I don't think they'd let him get to 16 if they didn't plan on letting him break it. I'm like 99% sure he breaks it. He's gonna be pushed as WWE's GOAT when he's all said and done.

I was a huge hater too for a long time, and even still root for him to lose, but his AMAZING 2015 with the US title open challenge really made me respect him. he had like 7-8 classic matches that year. He followed it up with a great 2016 in that AJ feud also. I still think he's below KO and AJ ring-wise, but it's crazy that he had EASILY had better matches with each of them, than AJ and KO have ever had with each other. 5 yrs ago i woulda *****ed about him breaking the record, but now I think he deserves it. I boo him out of respect now.
    Well said. I think he has a better chance of getting to 20 then not breaking it.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087:31790802
    I would probably leave him off a Mount Rushmore of WWF/E but he would be just barely off. Like 5 or 6.
    Longevity is Kareem esque at this point. Gotta put him on with Hogan. The rest are debate

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

If you would have asked me a couple of years ago, I would have definitely said yes. Now I'm not so sure only because I don't know Cena's level of involvement in the WWE going forward. He seems to be taking on more of that part timer role and transitioning into his new career.

If he does have that 17th run, that will probably lead to a feud that ends his career in the WWE as a regular performer. After that he'll be a Rock like attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I would probably leave him off a Mount Rushmore of WWF/E but he would be
    just barely off. Like 5 or 6.
    Cena is such a polarizing figure. You can't deny his impact and what he's meant to the business but in the same breath, he's at least partly responsible for driving so many fans away from WWE. I get Vince was the moving force behind that because he needed a "face" of the company but Cena was known to play politics as well.

I bet the WWE wouldn't have experienced the loss in viewership they have if there was a more level playing field in all those years of Super Cena. I was reading an article that he has only lost clean 14 times in the last decade which is ridiculous. That's why if they make the same mistake with Reigns they deserve whatever happens to them.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-05-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Longevity is Kareem esque at this point. Gotta put him on with Hogan. The rest are debate
    Not really cause with out the rock taker and Austin there is no wwf/e rush more it would be WCW.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Cena off the mount rushmore? Cena----->Hogan and its not close... the only thing hogan had was the larger than life persona in the 80s and 90s when wrestling was other worldly.... Hogan was actually a good wrestler before he became the hulkster but not on cenas level... there is nothing that hogan does better than cena outside of his gimmick... john is better on the mic... better in the ring... and carried the wwe in a much harder era while doing it clean.

Yes. I just hope it's not some ******** 2 week reign like the 16th one. How the hell do you beat AJ Styles magical run for a 2 week reign and lose the title right after.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Cena off the mount rushmore? Cena----->Hogan and its not close... the only thing hogan had was the larger than life persona in the 80s and 90s when wrestling was other worldly.... Hogan was actually a good wrestler before he became the hulkster but not on cenas level... there is nothing that hogan does better than cena outside of his gimmick... john is better on the mic... better in the ring... and carried the wwe in a much harder era while doing it clean.
    I think you raise all valid points and as a pure wrestler, I think you are correct that Cena would go on the Mount Rushmore. But Hogan was wrestling for multiple decades and is arguably the biggest star the company has ever created.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast