Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    Baseball is an extremely diverse sport. We have players from all over the world, across all races, economic backgrounds, etc. Even the physical attributes of players run the gamut.

    Why do we find a need to blame society for the fact that there are no black catchers. The opportunities to pursue or play sports are abundant in this country, ridiculously so, across all sports in every community. I don't recall anyone growing up that had a treasure trove of equipment to play baseball, or needed that to be really good at the sport. We all played it, we loved playing baseball, and we had maybe 1 or 2 bats among the entire group of us that would walk down to the park or playground to play. We WANTED to play baseball. When the weather turned to crap, we played football or moved to indoor sports like basketball, wrestling, etc.

    Baseball is a slower paced sport, and is one of many options for people to play. Not everybody wants to play it. Kids stay at home and play on their tablets, video game consoles and use technology exponentially more than they did 30 years ago.

    The racial innuendo here bothers me. Citing examples of idiot racists and their comments, or even acknowledging that racism is a part of our society doesn't really provide any specific evidence that there is some racial bias specific to this position. I think that would be a tough sell to the latin community from the Caribbean and central america. It seems much more practical that baseball players will play the positions for which they are best suited or passionate about pursuing than deliberately being blocked from a position based on the color of their skin. The catcher position, at the major league level, has quite a bit of racial and cultural diversity as it stands today.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Dominicans are in a higher poverty rate (in some areas), and they play stick ball all day and give us Hall of Famers.

    It's not because it's an expensive sport. It's because it doesn't interest a community in America that other sports do here.

    You go to a Dominican country, it's baseball and soccer. Nobody cares about basketball or football (look how many professional athletes come from Latin countries in the NBA and NFL). It's what sports are interesting.

    The black guys I hoop with have no interest in baseball. Basketball is their style and speed and interest.
    Down in the Dominican Republic baseball is a way of life and they can get signed at 16 and don't have to get drafted. Nfl and NBA you have to go to college. Those guys aren't going to college their families are so poor. And I would argue the whole stick ball thing is true but to a lesser extent when they get older because how are they being evaluated to properly be given a chance ???
    Baseball is more expensive growing up here in the states. Do you really expect African American kids here in the states to go play stick ball because they can't afford a bat a ball and glove ??? And have the same opportunities as the richer kids or middle class kids playing in little league???? You really have no clue if that's your argument. I'd go play basketball too if given the choice 'stick ball' because my family can't afford it or a basketball where everyone just needs a ball.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Anyone who thinks throwing a ball against a house or hitting a ball with a stick will allow you to keep pace with kids getting pitching and hitting lessons is blind. How is a kid supposed to keep his interest ??? When other kids are playing organized ball and getting the best equipment... Here in the states kids in poverty and black community roughly 45% of kids are in poverty have no shot at competing or keeping interest against kids who get whatever they want.


    Those who say they practiced by themselves outside you also probably had equipment and played multiple organized teams as well. I played by myself to outside and did drills. It was boring but I knew i had teams to play on and had good equipment.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    bat bag?
    Cost money as well.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Do you know how Bryce Harper learned to hit?

    His dad did construction and would throw him rocks (on site) while he hit them with rebar. Now his hands are as strong as an ox.
    Did you know in addition to that he probably had the best equipment and lessons. My family was middle class to above middle class and I took a stick and hit beans to work on hand eye coordination. But I still had great equipment. You can't become a pro baseball player in the states hitting with a stick and rocks in the back yard

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,061
    Some people have brought up the fact that Russell Martin is 1/2" black. I did not know this, TIL.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    6,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

    A similar comment (among others on Nightline with Ted Koppel) got Jim Campanis fired as GM of the Dodgers:
    CAMPANIS: No, it's not -- it's not garbage, Mr. Koppel, because I played on a college team, and the center fielder was black, and the backfield at NYU, with a fullback who was black, never knew the difference, whether he was black or white, we were teammates. So, it just might just be -- why are black men, or black people, not good swimmers? Because they don't have the buoyancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Read the article for context bc the topic is black managers and not black awimmers.
    And you made my point. It's okay to say something positive about a race in general based on science regarding athleticism in black people, but a 30+ year experience teaching making what appears to be a negative statement is racist.

    I've been on teams and competed against teams with amazing black swimmers, ones much faster than me. Shoot, Cullen Jones is absolutely dominant and slaughters thousands upon thousands of swimmers, but that doesn't take away the facts based on their physicality I've experienced over the years.

    If it means anything, I've noticed the same issue with white men who are excessively muscular. Am I allowed to say that?
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 08-05-2017 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    819
    If you don't think African Americans are superior athletes your a racist in denial those cave dwelling heathens woulda died in the sun baseball was scared to let blasck guys in cus the record books would be flipped

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Due to racism there weren't abundant to begin with and with the percentage of black players playing today going down, this does not surprise me.

    https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/baseb...hics-1947-2012
    You honestly believe it's due to racism? I think racism has zero to do with it.

    Black people have a choice like everyone else in this country and if they want to predominately play basketball and football, that's fine and that's there choice. Why is it racism that most black Americans choose to not play baseball?

    Edit: Yes, at the beginning there was racism but numbers aren't declining in baseball because of it.
    Last edited by PhillySportFan; 08-05-2017 at 09:54 AM.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    6,616
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillySportFan View Post
    You honestly believe it's due to racism? I think racism has zero to do with it.

    Black people have a choice like everyone else in this country and if they want to predominately play basketball and football, that's fine and that's there choice. Why is it racism that most black Americans choose to not play baseball?

    Edit: Yes, at the beginning there was racism but numbers aren't declining in baseball because of it.
    I know that. There were not many black catchers back in the day to begin with, much to do with racism, and now there are just not many black players today period.
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 08-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    6,616

    Black catchers in MLB

    Just out of curiosity, do you guys find this article to be racist or at least prejudice based on religion?

    https://brightside.me/inspiration-family-and-kids/10-parental-rules-which-turn-jewish-kids-into-geniuses-361360/
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillySportFan View Post
    You honestly believe it's due to racism? I think racism has zero to do with it.

    Black people have a choice like everyone else in this country and if they want to predominately play basketball and football, that's fine and that's there choice. Why is it racism that most black Americans choose to not play baseball?

    Edit: Yes, at the beginning there was racism but numbers aren't declining in baseball because of it.
    45% of black kids are in poverty. And being a minority they are at s huge disadvantage to make the MLB. It costs to much.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    whats the percentage of Hispanic players Born in the USA are in the MLB

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    49,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    45% of black kids are in poverty. And being a minority they are at s huge disadvantage to make the MLB. It costs to much.
    I believe we have had plenty of posts outlining that it's from a lack of interest, not an expense. Stick ball and solo play are 100% options for all kids.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    16,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    Anyone who thinks throwing a ball against a house or hitting a ball with a stick will allow you to keep pace with kids getting pitching and hitting lessons is blind. How is a kid supposed to keep his interest ??? When other kids are playing organized ball and getting the best equipment... Here in the states kids in poverty and black community roughly 45% of kids are in poverty have no shot at competing or keeping interest against kids who get whatever they want.


    Those who say they practiced by themselves outside you also probably had equipment and played multiple organized teams as well. I played by myself to outside and did drills. It was boring but I knew i had teams to play on and had good equipment.
    Yeah. I used to throw a ball against the wall in my backyard for hours at a time, the only other person I knew who likes baseball is my cousin, no joke. I never played on a team until I could afford it myself, which means I only started playing organized baseball during freshman year/sophomore year of high school. I sucked and didn't know the rules very well but how could I? I was never given an opportunity to play on a team before that. Funny enough, I taught myself how to pitch by throwing against that wall, taught myself a nasty 2 seamer, curveball, circle change, and a cutter. As I got older, I stopped playing because I couldn't keep up with these guys and their equipment, trips to the batting cages, private coaches, etc. I gave up and packed things up during my senior year.

    It also doesn't help when the coaches kid is the other pitcher and he sucks but still got a start every game.

    Also, FWIW when I was growing up, people laughed at me for liking baseball and used to joke that since I'm Pakistani, they would ask "why don't you play cricket instead?"

    I'm 21 now and other than my cousin, I have maybe 2 other friends who like baseball...they're both white.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •