Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Played Indian ball on the daily (even if it's just wiffle ball).

As a kid, I would throw balls against the side of the house and try to chase them down as grounders (pretending I was a SS) and then throw against the wall again to the first basemen. And try to top my own personal score.

I also tossed the ball up a ton to hit it and made up my own stats. Though, I usually played with the neighbors.
    Yeah I did a lot of the solo act as well. Pretty similar thing throwing the ball at the side of the house lol.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Yeah I did a lot of the solo act as well. Pretty similar thing throwing the ball at the side of the house lol.
    I was a kid when I found out that Ozzie Smith as a kid would throw the ball as high as he could over his house, then run around his house to try and catch it.

This of course, depends on your age, starting point, and the size of the house lol. But I also practiced that a lot lol.

As a kid, I would throw balls against the side of the house and try to chase them down as grounders (pretending I was a SS) and then throw against the wall again to the first basemen. And try to top my own personal score.

I also tossed the ball up a ton to hit it and made up my own stats. Though, I usually played with the neighbors.
    I used to practice hitting by myself by hitting tennis balls off the side of my old apartment building. If I hit it square enough it would basically come right back to me. If I got under it too much, it would usually go over the building.

I would practice defense this way also. If I wanted a grounder I would throw it at the base of the wall. If I wanted a line drive, I would hit the ground just before the base.

I have always had crazy hand-eye when something is coming at my face and I'm pretty sure this is a large reason why.

As far as this topic, I think its a good question. I think the best answer I've seen so far is that players usually get moved to Catcher if they exhibit certain traits, and even though you're always in the middle of the action, you really don't get to make the type of plays you do playing other positions. I hated playing Catcher but stick me in the left side of the infield and I'm happy like a pig in ****. I know I'm gonna have to make some rangy plays and use my wits and improvisational skills. At C I might make a good throw or two and get a couple close plays at the plate but for the most part it's pretty boring.

I think this just tells me that you either love baseball or you don't. Obviously we did as kids and still do. But if you don't love the game, you're not wasting hours on end doing what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Black people are usually more athletic and catcher is probably the least athletic position, so they typically play somewhere else.

Similar to the NFL, but not exactly the same cuz there are black QB's, but the majority have always been white. Most black players play the skill positions because of their athletic abilities (WR/RB). There are less white players in those positions.

That's all I got...

With that said.... ****ing weird question dude... Don't even know why I tried to answer it. This thread probably gonna be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    Sorry for the **** post but as I was struggling to fall asleep last night it dawned on me that there are no African American catchers in baseball.

The last black catcher of note was Charles Johnson who retired in 2005. I find this stat absolutely staggering. Hell, even the NFL has a black punter.

What Gives ?
    Russel Martin is black historically that positions is bad on the knees . johnny bench walks like a wound up doll now. willie mays refused to play that position for that reason shelf life for catchers are short.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I think this just tells me that you either love baseball or you don't. Obviously we did as kids and still do. But if you don't love the game, you're not wasting hours on end doing what we did.
    100%

There is a lack of interest from the race in question and a stereotype about intelligence mixed in and there you have it. Don't make me spell it out. Please.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Because of the deep roots that baseball has with racism and segregation over the last 100 years, I don't think it'll ever be a prevalent sport within that community.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Because of the deep roots that baseball has with racism and segregation over the last 100 years, I don't think it'll ever be a prevalent sport within that community.
    I think a lot of the reasons were listed but institutional racism isn't among them imo. Basketball and football have deep seeded roots with racism as well. In fact baseball had black athletes integrated in the sport before basketball and football did. There is no denying sports still has a ways to go in that regard but racism in baseball compared to other sports isn't overtly different. Not every city is like Boston for example.

You'll see participation among black athletes rise in baseball. Will it be near equal to the participation of black athletes in basketball? No but MLB is trying to branch out to different communities and demographics are changing as well. Not only that but the change in culture in regards to joining a youth football league has just started. Going forward, you're going to see less and less kids join said leagues because parents are not going to want to to expose their kids to such a violent sport. I dont know what people are talking about that baseball is expensive to join and football isn't btw.

I think you'll see more kids gravitate towards baseball, soccer, and other lesser contact sports in the future.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-05-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Do you know how Bryce Harper learned to hit?

His dad did construction and would throw him rocks (on site) while he hit them with rebar. Now his hands are as strong as an ox.
    Ozzie Smith became a great fielder by throwing balls against a long concrete outdoor staircase in his front yard.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 08-05-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Didn't see John Roseboro's name mentioned. Mid-60's Dodger great and all star, best remembered for his getting attacked and hit in the head with a bat by Juan Marichal over a disputed pitch or pitch return. Was a bit of a chippy game from the start with he and Koufax the starters as I recall.

Was a very young Giants fan back then, and I can honestly say that incident shocked the hell outta me. Shocking in its violence, and shocking to a young me that one of my favorite players and baseball idols could commit such an act.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by alkalinesolo View Post
    No, that is science. The ACTN3 gene has been linked to improved fast-twitch muscle function which regulates speed and leaping ability - and the ACTN3 gene is more likely to be in those from an African origin.
    As someone who has taught swimming for over 30yrs, I have noted there tends to be more difficulty for black people, males especially, to float. Now if they are overweight, regardless of the race, it doesn't apply. But if they are relatively in shape, black people's bottom end tend to not be as buoyant as other races overall and an over amount of compensation needs to done in order for floating on their back to be accomplished. Even with that compensation, there is no guarantee it'll be accomplished.

Is that racism because it is negative? If you are going to state something like you did, which I am perfectly fine with, it has to go both ways in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

3 kids = one-o-cat

pitcher
    batter
    fielder
    1 base.

Batter hits the ball has to run 90 feet to base and back to home b4 being tagged - or hit by a throw from the fielder -- if you are playing w tennis balls.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/one-o--cat
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    As someone who has taught swimming for over 30yrs, I have noted there tends to be more difficulty for black people, males especially, to float. Now if they are overweight, regardless of the race, it doesn't apply. But if they are relatively in shape, black people's bottom end tend to not be as buoyant as other races overall and an over amount of compensation needs to done in order for floating on their back to be accomplished. Even with that compensation, there is no guarantee it'll be accomplished.

Is that racism because it is negative? If you are going to state something like you did, which I am perfectly fine with, it has to go both ways in my opinion.
    A similar comment (among others on Nightline with Ted Koppel) got Jim Campanis fired as GM of the Dodgers:

CAMPANIS: No, it's not -- it's not garbage, Mr. Koppel, because I played on a college team, and the center fielder was black, and the backfield at NYU, with a fullback who was black, never knew the difference, whether he was black or white, we were teammates. So, it just might just be -- why are black men, or black people, not good swimmers? Because they don't have the buoyancy.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...ring-practices

Read the article for context bc the topic is black managers and not black awimmers.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast