Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm going to agree with whomever said it, to play baseball you need stuff.
    That stuff costs money a lot of kids either don't have or don't want to spend on that stuff.
    Throwing a football shooting a basketball is a lot easier ... so there you have it.

I personally wish more kids played baseball, the American past-time but what you do.
    As a kid, I played all four major sports, it depended on what time of year it was and who was available.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Side note, when I coached little league, I had my kid play catcher most of the time.
    Moms didn't want their sons to get hot, dirty or hurt plus it allowed my son (s) to play more.
    Neither one of them could hit very well, but being the catcher kept them on the field.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

#stopmakingthingsaboutrace

But seriously.

There aren't many black NHL players, aren't many white NBA players. It depends on the sport, the interest people have in it (and the areas).

There are maybe 8% African Americans in baseball. It's a low sport of interest in that community. Those that do, usually are playing more speed and athletic based positions.

Btw, I believe Russell Martin is half black.

There have also been quite a few historically great black catchers, including possibly the greatest catcher ever, we just never saw him.

If you want to go by skin color alone though, plenty of Latin African players that play catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Due to racism there weren't abundant to begin with and with the percentage of black players playing today going down, this does not surprise me.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/baseb...hics-1947-2012
    Elston Howard, Roy Campenela, Josh Gibson say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    45% of black youth are in poverty. Sure someone can get you a glove from a glove drive if you're lucky enough but what about lessons bat bag. You go and play on these teams where kids have it all and you have a glove you have to carry because your family can't afford it. And you feel left out. And you out grow gloves change positions. No glove drive is going to help the majority. It's a nice thought and nice they do that but that isn't a viable thing to say in arguing poverty kids have the same opportunity because of a drive
    Dominicans are in a higher poverty rate (in some areas), and they play stick ball all day and give us Hall of Famers.

It's not because it's an expensive sport. It's because it doesn't interest a community in America that other sports do here.

You go to a Dominican country, it's baseball and soccer. Nobody cares about basketball or football (look how many professional athletes come from Latin countries in the NBA and NFL). It's what sports are interesting.

The black guys I hoop with have no interest in baseball. Basketball is their style and speed and interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    I'm going to agree with whomever said it, to play baseball you need stuff.
    That stuff costs money a lot of kids either don't have or don't want to spend on that stuff.
    Throwing a football shooting a basketball is a lot easier ... so there you have it.

I personally wish more kids played baseball, the American past-time but what you do.
    As a kid, I played all four major sports, it depended on what time of year it was and who was available.
    Do you know how Bryce Harper learned to hit?

His dad did construction and would throw him rocks (on site) while he hit them with rebar. Now his hands are as strong as an ox.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    #stopmakingthingsaboutrace

But seriously.

There aren't many black NHL players, aren't many white NBA players. It depends on the sport, the interest people have in it (and the areas).

There are maybe 8% African Americans in baseball. It's a low sport of interest in that community. Those that do, usually are playing more speed and athletic based positions.

Btw, I believe Russell Martin is half black.

There have also been quite a few historically great black catchers, including possibly the greatest catcher ever, we just never saw him.

If you want to go by skin color alone though, plenty of Latin African players that play catcher.
    Just came in here to say the bolded. His dad might be pretty upset to find out he's not black.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...plays-anthems/

https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/...op.868x650.jpg

The dictionary says hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

No excuses for not having enough people. Me and 3 or 4 of my buddies always found a way to play baseball. Of course we'd have to modify things a bit but there was always at least a pitcher, catcher, batter and an outfielder. And we were in Canada for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    There are perceived to be the more superior athlete.
    It's not perception, it's usually a fact.

The notion that African Americans are somehow inherently superior athletes is its own form of bs-racism. What is actually happening, as anyone who has paid attention to the growth of baseball as an institution over the course of the 20th Century, is that the game moved away from the African American community.

While baseball was never as impactful in Urban Black communities as other sports, namely Basketball and Football, when baseball targeted middle-class white American families as their staple consumer demographic and began draining untapped talent out of the Latin American and Asian countries, African American interest and participation in the sport fell.

I do not much mind myself, I could care less about the color of the skin behind the plate or sinking three-pointers in the Finals so long as they deserve to be where they are due to skill and smart agents.

Breaking it down by race, African Americans prefer Basketball and Football, while Baseball is mainly a White/Latin American/Asian phenomenon.

Makes sense given the history of the game, especially post-WWII and during the 80s-90s.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

thats 3! Cliff and Charles Johnson make 5.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    No excuses for not having enough people. Me and 3 or 4 of my buddies always found a way to play baseball. Of course we'd have to modify things a bit but there was always at least a pitcher, catcher, batter and an outfielder. And we were in Canada for crying out loud.
    Played Indian ball on the daily (even if it's just wiffle ball).

As a kid, I would throw balls against the side of the house and try to chase them down as grounders (pretending I was a SS) and then throw against the wall again to the first basemen. And try to top my own personal score.

I also tossed the ball up a ton to hit it and made up my own stats. Though, I usually played with the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    The notion that African Americans are somehow inherently superior athletes is its own form of bs-racism.

No, that is science. The ACTN3 gene has been linked to improved fast-twitch muscle function which regulates speed and leaping ability - and the ACTN3 gene is more likely to be in those from an African origin.

Quote Originally Posted by alkalinesolo View Post
    No, that is science. The ACTN3 gene has been linked to improved fast-twitch muscle function which regulates speed and leaping ability - and the ACTN3 gene is more likely to be in those from an African origin.
    I think it's also worth noting a few additional things.

In highly athletic sports (NBA and NFL) it's predominately black athletes.
    I believe the country of Kenya has a lockdown on track.
    And look at the fastest players we have seen in baseball history (Rickey Henderson, Vince Coleman, Tim Raines, Ozzie Smith, Juan Pierre, Joe Morgan, Lou Brock, Willie Wilson, Kenny Lofton, Otis Nixon)
    I mean, look at the stolen base leaders since integration.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=8,d
    It's a handful of white guys.
    Split season that, and you will see the first white guy to be Dave Collins, 19th.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast