Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,061

    Black catchers in MLB

    Sorry for the **** post but as I was struggling to fall asleep last night it dawned on me that there are no African American catchers in baseball.

    The last black catcher of note was Charles Johnson who retired in 2005. I find this stat absolutely staggering. Hell, even the NFL has a black punter.

    What Gives ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,649
    Black people are usually more athletic and catcher is probably the least athletic position, so they typically play somewhere else.

    Similar to the NFL, but not exactly the same cuz there are black QB's, but the majority have always been white. Most black players play the skill positions because of their athletic abilities (WR/RB). There are less white players in those positions.

    That's all I got...

    With that said.... ****ing weird question dude... Don't even know why I tried to answer it. This thread probably gonna be closed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    6,614

    Black catchers in MLB

    Due to racism there weren't abundant to begin with and with the percentage of black players playing today going down, this does not surprise me.

    https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/baseball-demographics-1947-2012
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 08-04-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,903
    Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    Sorry for the **** post but as I was struggling to fall asleep last night it dawned on me that there are no African American catchers in baseball.

    The last black catcher of note was Charles Johnson who retired in 2005. I find this stat absolutely staggering. Hell, even the NFL has a black punter.

    What Gives ?
    Lack of participation among African Americans in youth baseball leagues. I mean just 8% of MLB players are black so that means roughly there are 69 African American players (55 position players, 14 pitchers) in all of MLB.

    I'm sure part of it is also stereotyping. Baseball leagues are usually run by a lot of middle aged white guys (not just on the professional level) who put black players in the OF because they tend to be better athletes. It sounds horrible but then you look at it and 42 of the 55 African American position players in MLB are OFs.

    Things will change. A lot of inner city kids were strictly playing football and basketball for years but that dynamic is going to shift now with all the guaranteed money in MLB and what is happening with CTE in relation to organized football.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-04-2017 at 09:26 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    6,614
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Black people are usually more athletic and catcher is probably the least athletic position, so they typically play somewhere else.

    Similar to the NFL, but not exactly the same cuz there are black QB's, but the majority have always been white. Most black players play the skill positions because of their athletic abilities (WR/RB). There are less white players in those positions.

    That's all I got...

    With that said.... ****ing weird question dude... Don't even know why I tried to answer it. This thread probably gonna be closed.
    I don't find it weird. As with any racial discussion, it can be sensitive. The odd part to me is you're criticizing the question due to its racial context yet you responded with quite a racist statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,903
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    I don't find it weird. As with any racial discussion, it can be sensitive. The odd part to me is you're criticizing the question due to its racial context yet you responded with quite a racist statement.
    Well he's not incorrect about why black players in the NFL tend to play more of the skill positions. There are perceived to be the more superior athlete.

    I disagree that catcher is the least athletic position to play but coaches don't tend to put the best athletes on the diamond in catcher's equipment either.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-04-2017 at 10:28 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    6,614
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well he's not incorrect about why black players in the NFL tend to play more of the skill positions. There are perceived to be the more superior athlete.
    I guess that means racism is only perceived when it is negative.

    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I disagree that catcher is the least athletic position to play but coaches don't tend to put the best athletes on the diamond in catcher's equipment either.
    Because there's energy in chocolate.

    http://i.imgur.com/FB1L4Wo.png
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    I don't think there are any 3rd basemen either. But this is just a fact of America. African Americans are higher percentage in poverty than Caucasian Americans, they are also the minority. Baseball is an expensive sport. Cleats, bat bag, bat, glove, batting gloves, pitching lessons.
    Basketball and football can be played in the backyard and costs nothing but a ball.

    So taking into account being a minority, poverty, and baseball being expensive and catchers gear isn't cheap and you out grow it.

    Poverty levels are similar for Spanish players and there are some but i think baseball is more of a way of life down there. Teams used to be able to come down and just sign whoever at 16. While here in the states Caucasian and African Americans have to go through the draft.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    90,939
    Whatever the reason, it's a ****ing shame.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    I don't think there are any 3rd basemen either. But this is just a fact of America. African Americans are higher percentage in poverty than Caucasian Americans, they are also the minority. Baseball is an expensive sport. Cleats, bat bag, bat, glove, batting gloves, pitching lessons.
    Basketball and football can be played in the backyard and costs nothing but a ball.

    So taking into account being a minority, poverty, and baseball being expensive and catchers gear isn't cheap and you out grow it.

    Poverty levels are similar for Spanish players and there are some but i think baseball is more of a way of life down there. Teams used to be able to come down and just sign whoever at 16. While here in the states Caucasian and African Americans have to go through the draft.
    Giants sponsor Junior Giants which is about supplying fields and equipment where kids can't afford it. I guess I would assume other teams have similar programs.

    Different donation levels offer different perks as gifts, I always ask that the gifts be given to a kid.
    The Giants also do glove drives during the season where they ask fans to bring a glove. McCovey and Mays are both still active in the program.

    Unfortunately baseball doesn't have the same appeal as football and basketball in the US.

    As a kid who wanted to catch? Posey is a converted infielder and that happened in college.
    Teams are going to move players to an area of need where they feel the athlete can succeed.



    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/s...-giants/about/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    16,545
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Lack of participation among African Americans in youth baseball leagues. I mean just 8% of MLB players are black so that means roughly there are 69 African American players (55 position players, 14 pitchers) in all of MLB.

    I'm sure part of it is also stereotyping. Baseball leagues are usually run by a lot of middle aged white guys (not just on the professional level) who put black players in the OF because they tend to be better athletes. It sounds horrible but then you look at it and 42 of the 55 African American position players in MLB are OFs.

    Things will change. A lot of inner city kids were strictly playing football and basketball for years but that dynamic is going to shift now with all the guaranteed money in MLB and what is happening with CTE in relation to organized football.
    I don't think things will change too much. Sure, people will stray away from football because of injuries and the racist culture that surrounds a lot of the teams but basketball will always be alive and well...especially with the insurmountable amounts of money and leverage that players have these days. Ever since they removed the salary cap, basketball easily became the most attractive sport if you are a player.

    Also, if we're bringing income inequality into this, it's a lot easier to play basketball than it is baseball in terms of actually getting a game going. Basketball, you need a pair of ****** shoes, a hoop, and a ball. Baseball, you need a bat, glove, multiple balls, and a field. Baseball however, you need at least 7 other guys if you want a pickup game, basketball you can play one on one...the field also doesn't need any maintenance.

    There is a big integration problem in baseball without a doubt, it's a sport for the rich white man - not gonna sugar coat that lol. People like Price and Adam Jones get criticized for being thin skinned but they deal with racist ****ers more often than not. Until people start showing perspective for black peoples gripes, the cycle will keep continuing and black folk will keep going for basketball. I can't blame them either, if I were in their position I would go for the sport with more money and people like me rather than the sport where I feel like a fish out of water.

    To also put it in perspective, James Harden signed a 4/160 extension. Cespedes signed a 4/110 deal. Basketball only has 81 games, baseball has 162.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    Giants sponsor Junior Giants which is about supplying fields and equipment where kids can't afford it. I guess I would assume other teams have similar programs.

    Different donation levels offer different perks as gifts, I always ask that the gifts be given to a kid.
    The Giants also do glove drives during the season where they ask fans to bring a glove. McCovey and Mays are both still active in the program.

    Unfortunately baseball doesn't have the same appeal as football and basketball in the US.

    As a kid who wanted to catch? Posey is a converted infielder and that happened in college.
    Teams are going to move players to an area of need where they feel the athlete can succeed.



    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/s...-giants/about/
    The Giants don't meet any where near the amount of African American kids in poverty. The junior Giants reach out to 25,000 kids. That's only a fraction of the kids in poverty. And I'm saying less the. 1 percent that's like .001%. Bring a glove drive and the junior Giants are great but it doesn't hide the fact a higher percent of black youth are in poverty over white youth. Getting some glove at a drive it may not even be a decent glove. It might be some Walmart glove.

    You're blind if you think a glove drive and the junior Giants is sufficient to keep black youth involved. Baseball is expensive. Being a catcher is more expensive. Gloves batting gloves bat bags bats cleats no drive is going to be able to supply enough kids to get more involved.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    45% of black youth are in poverty. Sure someone can get you a glove from a glove drive if you're lucky enough but what about lessons bat bag. You go and play on these teams where kids have it all and you have a glove you have to carry because your family can't afford it. And you feel left out. And you out grow gloves change positions. No glove drive is going to help the majority. It's a nice thought and nice they do that but that isn't a viable thing to say in arguing poverty kids have the same opportunity because of a drive

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    27,862
    bat bag?
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    The Giants don't meet any where near the amount of African American kids in poverty. The junior Giants reach out to 25,000 kids. That's only a fraction of the kids in poverty. And I'm saying less the. 1 percent that's like .001%. Bring a glove drive and the junior Giants are great but it doesn't hide the fact a higher percent of black youth are in poverty over white youth. Getting some glove at a drive it may not even be a decent glove. It might be some Walmart glove.

    You're blind if you think a glove drive and the junior Giants is sufficient to keep black youth involved. Baseball is expensive. Being a catcher is more expensive. Gloves batting gloves bat bags bats cleats no drive is going to be able to supply enough kids to get more involved.
    Maybe its not enough but we have to start somewhere, also the Giants are primarily in their area and Northern California, I don't think there are 25 million black children in poverty in Northern CA as the whole state has 40 million total. If all 30 teams did the same level of outreach its 750,000 kids.

    It doesn't solve the problem but we have to make an effort somewhere. I loved baseball as a kid, we just threw a ball back and forth. That's why I give, I am trying to something positive.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •