Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Looking to Next Season Already

I know they are on a tear lately and there isn't much else to watch right now so we are still tuning in to the games but this team is done as far as a playoff watch. This is why I have already started looking to next season, more out of boredom than anything else. I know a lot of people will disagree with my thinking but here's how I see it:

1. You have to fire Avila and Asmus. Neither has shown they are MLB qualified. I've already given my opinion on who to hire so please see past posts for that info.

2. Take the $5M buyout on Sanchez and Kinsler (unless you can trade him). I like Kinsler but at $10M and declining skills, do you really hang on in hopes to trade him later? Why not just let it happen now and let Machado or Castro play now.

3. Encourage Vmart to retire and give his destroyed body some rest. We can't have him taking up a roster spot next season. It was a horrible contract when he signed it, I couldn't have screamed it any louder, and now we are eating the brunt end of it for $18M a year. I think he owes it to the Tigers (who paid him WAY more than he should have or could have gotten) to walk away.

4. Starters: I don't think you touch this area or could touch this area. You start out the year with JV, Zimm, Fulmer, Boyd (he's earned it), and Norris. If possible and if they have the years they are capable of, you try to trade JV and Zimm. The only side bar here is if JV and the Dodgers match up in the off season.

5. Bullpen: This thing needs a douching and I want to see the young power guys take over. Shane Greene has been outstanding so far but history tells us that won't last. So, let Greene and Jimenez hold down the closer roles. Daniel Stumpf has been impressive lately so he's one lefty. Jairo Labourt has been tearing up AA/AAA so he's your other lefty in the pen. I'd like to see us sign a long relief/swing man vet such as Yusmeiro Petit (31) or Juan Nicasio (30) for around $4-5M just to balance the young guys. Then we stack the rest of the pen with Zack Reininger, Rondon (last chance), and/or one of the other fire ballers we have down at AA.

6. Outfield: Mahtook has slowly made me become a fan. Love his attitude and play lately so he stays in CF. Upton I don't see opting out so he's staying as well. I am higher on Nick C than most seem to be on this board. He seems to be the victim of bad luck a lot of times. He has shown and interest in RF so I say lets see what happens. I would also give him time at 1B, 2B, and DH just so we have options to get him in the lineup. The fourth outfielder is where I think you bring in a vet rather than Stewart (he's just not ready yet offensively or defensively) or Gerber (who I'd give a chance to play his way on the roster but would rather go a vet). The issue here is I want a LH bat but also want a CF, however, the best bat with possible low risk but high reward may be CarGo (Carlos Gonzalez) from the Rockies. He's been horrible for a year and half now but does have that potential to find his all-star self again at 31 years old. If we get him on the cheap ($7M) and could possible flip at the trade deadline, I'd take it. My other choices are LH CF guys: Ben Revere and Jarrod Dyson to share time with Mahtook in CF but both can also play LF/RF and steal some bases. Neither will cost much more than ($4M).

7. Infield: Go young at 2B (Machado) and 3B (Candelario). Miggy stays at 1B but shares time with Hicks and Casty. SS, I'm sticking with Inglasias. He is well worth the $5-6M he'll get in arbitration. An above average defender at SS that can hit between .265-.275 is well worth it. He does, however, need to boost his OB% next year to around his .325-.340 he use to get. If offers come at the deadline for him (which I think they can) then you move him. Lastly, Romine was paid $1.3M this year and I think we can get the same for less with Eric Sogard so I sign him for $750K. He plays all the positions but CF that Romine has and produces at the plate about the same. Take the payroll savings and also remember we have Harold Castro coming soon who is being groomed for this roster spot. Kid is playing all over this year at AA and hitting very well.

8. Catcher: Lets ride with McCann and Hicks here. No reason to look elsewhere. Hicks has done what he is suppose to do and McCann just needs to hit the first half of the season like he does in the second half. New manager and coaching staff hopefully will help.

My Projected out of the gate roster:

Pitchers:
    Verlander
    Zimmerman
    Fulmer
    Boyd
    Norris
    Greene
    Jimenez
    Petit
    Stumpf
    Labourt
    Rondon
    Reininger

Fielders
    Mahtook
    Upton
    Castellanos
    CarGo (Revere, Dyson)
    Miggy
    Machado
    Inglesias
    Candelario
    McCann
    Hicks
    Sogard
    Castro or Gerber

How has Boyd earned an automatic rotation spot? Enlighten me.

Well, since he came back up he had 4 straight games of 6+ innings and 3 earned runs (quality starts) with wins in all 4 games. Last night was a mess with the delays and so forth and he only went 4 innings giving up 3 runs but it's the walks (due to weather?) that hurt him most. I think because he has come back strong since being called up he makes a solid 4th-5th rotation guy. Also, who's the other candidate you'd like to put against him? I didn't want to sign a FA starter so in my opinion his resurgence since he came back earned him a spot in the rotation. Now, in saying that, anyone on the list can be downgraded due to an awful spring or injury but to start out, yea, I think he's earned it at this point. The rest of the way is very unpredictable so my projection is subject to change.

Quality starts don't mean all that much to me. Kind of a dumb stat, in my opinion, where you can give up 3 runs in 6 innings (4.50 era) and get a QS but throw a complete game and give up 4 runs and you don't get one. He has been decent in those starts I guess. Not enough for me to hand him a rotation spot though.

Unfortunately(or fortunately depending on your view, I suppose) 1, 2, 3, and 7 aren't happening. I am supremely confident in this.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Quality starts don't mean all that much to me. Kind of a dumb stat, in my opinion, where you can give up 3 runs in 6 innings (4.50 era) and get a QS but throw a complete game and give up 4 runs and you don't get one. He has been decent in those starts I guess. Not enough for me to hand him a rotation spot though.
    Ok, so is your opinion that he has to battle it out with someone (who?) or sign a FA to fill the 4th/5th spot he would be in? Just wondering not being a douche.

IMO, if he's going to battle it out with someone in the organization he should be listed ahead of anyone on the depth chart at this moment in time. Would you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Unfortunately(or fortunately depending on your view, I suppose) 1, 2, 3, and 7 aren't happening. I am supremely confident in this.
    Really, you don't see any of that happening? Is it just because Chris isn't going to put the effort into making this team win like his pop did or what? I don't see how an owner could look at Avila and think he's a competent MLB GM. I also don't see how you can be serious about rebuilding and not do 2, 3, and 7

I feel whomever is the GM (I don't think Avila gets fired and I don't feel he's on the hot seat either) will see this team as a contender. Kinsler's option will be picked up.

Yeah, I would agree with that. I don't really want to sign some scrub FA. My hope is that somebody like Funkhouser surprises. Although he's still in single A (and dominating), hopefully they move him up to AA soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Really, you don't see any of that happening? Is it just because Chris isn't going to put the effort into making this team win like his pop did or what? I don't see how an owner could look at Avila and think he's a competent MLB GM. I also don't see how you can be serious about rebuilding and not do 2, 3, and 7
    No. I think ownership wants to win. I just don't think anyone is on the hot seat. 2 bad years isn't generally enough to get a first time GM and a first time coach fired. Getting rid of the players you mention is going to be really tough. Yes you could let them go, but billionares don't traditionally give away money for absolutely nothing. If they're gonna pay them, then I'd bet that the preference is to pay them to play for US not play for another team. We're now left with proposition number 7...well that kind of depends on 2 and 3..which I don't thnk will happen...hence 7 won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    I feel whomever is the GM (I don't think Avila gets fired and I don't feel he's on the hot seat either) will see this team as a contender. Kinsler's option will be picked up.
    I think so. I don't personally think we'll be any good next year...but stranger things have happened in baseball.

I feel like hoog was baiting someone to suggest **** Barmer should be in the running for the 5th starter haha

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I feel like hoog was baiting someone to suggest **** Barmer should be in the running for the 5th starter haha
    he got ya hook line and sinker!

Speaking of looking forward to next season, no more Annibal Sanchez!