Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Aaron Rodgers wants to play for Packers at age 40

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers knows exactly where he wants to be when he turns 40.

"Hopefully right here," Rodgers said standing in front of his locker at Lambeau Field. "Hopefully talking to you guys right here."

On the day Tom Brady turned 40, Rodgers said he not only hopes he's still playing at that age but he hopes he's still doing it for the Green Bay Packers.

"I do think it's realistic," the 33-year-old Rodgers said. "I hope it's in this locker room, though. That would mean it's been at a high level. Like I said, hopefully Dec. 2 of 2024, help me out, 2023. Thank you."

Rodgers, who was drafted by the Packers in 2005, had a front-row seat for the end of Brett Favre's career in Green Bay during the summer of 2008. But it wasn't just the end of Favre's time with the Packers that makes him feel that way.

"It's being a sports fan and watching some of my favorite all-time players either not finish in the place they started or the place where you fell in love watching them play -- or they did," Rodgers said. "And seeing how different the memory is of those players as a fan, and seeing some of my favorite players growing finishing up now or have finished up in the last two or three years -- the Derek Jeters, the Kobe Bryants, the Tim Duncans -- doing it their entire career in one place, that makes things pretty special.

"So again, I'm a realist as well. I have to play well, the team has to want to bring me back, but I've said I'd like to finish things here where we started."

Rodgers, who grew up in Northern California and was a San Francisco 49ers fan growing up, said he was always disappointed that Joe Montana finished his career with another team, the Kansas City Chiefs.

For Rodgers to play until he's 40, he's going to need at least one more contract. He is signed through the 2019 season. His contract might have to be redone before that since he is no longer among the five highest-paid quarterbacks, in terms of average salary per year.

Rodgers has spoken several times about his admiration for Brady. Earlier this offseason, Packers coach Mike McCarthy told ESPN.com that he "wouldn't be surprised" if Rodgers was able to maintain his level of play as long as Brady has.

Rodgers also spoke recently about his "love affair" with the game as a motivation for continuing to play as long as possible.
    -ESPN.com

This makes me extremely happy to hear because I am nowhere near ready for live after Aaron Rodgers. There is no way we get back to back to back HOF QB's, right?

With that said how do you guys see Rodgers gave holding up as he gets close to 40. So much of his greatness comes from his ability to move in the pocket and extend plays. Will he still be able to do that at age 40? Will he become a purely pocket passer? Or will his game decline with his speed and agility decreasing?

I don't think he will lose too much unless he suffers a major injury. He isn't super speedy to begin with he is just quick.

I think we saw a glimpse of what he could do as an older qb after he suffered his calf injury.

as long as he continues at a semi high level of play I think he could easily last as long as Brady has.

RIP Gene Wilder

It's funny because you can actually go back to early career aaron Rodgers to understand late career aaron Rodgers. Recently someone in my Facebook feed floated around a YouTube video of all of Rodgers 40+ yard TD passes. His early throws all came out really quick and a good chunk of the yardage on a lot of the TDs came with the ball in the WR's hands. As his career progressed, you start seeing more of the extended play TDs.

I think Rodgers has already shown an ability to play in a quick hitting offense, so I don't think it'll be too difficult for him to move back that direction as he ages. The key will be making sure we have the WR group capable of getting open quickly.

If he can stay healthy, why not? He does hold onto the ball a bit long so I'd assume he'll break down a little before that because he depends so much on his mobility.

But, talent wise, it will not be an issue for him.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    If he can stay healthy, why not? He does hold onto the ball a bit long so I'd assume he'll break down a little before that because he depends so much on his mobility.

But, talent wise, it will not be an issue for him.
    Unlike Callahan...he's gonna be special. Trust me

Being elite is not easy cause you will be hated on but that's me

Quote Originally Posted by eDush View Post
    Unlike Callahan...he's gonna be special. Trust me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.