Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What was your favorite year for sports?

What was your favorite roughly 12-15 month period for sports as a fan? I'm talking about a time when the stars aligned and you were happy with most, or even all, of your favorite sports teams.

I'm going to say October 2011 through 2012. The cardinals won the world series that October in 2011, the Bulls played their best basketball against Lebron's Miami Heat since the Michael Jordan era, and the Bears went 10-6 in 2012 (they didn't go to the playoffs but still a fun regular season), and the Cardinals did well again in 2012. My college team was garbage in most sports, but the professional ones made it worth it.

2006ish is a close second.

Looking back, i was pretty lucky compared to the garbage I'm seeing now haha.

What was your best sports "year" and why?

2004. I'll never care about any sports related thing as I cared about the Red Sox those few years. Patriots winning Super Bowls in February 2004 and 2005 was a great kicker.
    this my sig

I will always have fond memories of being a kid in the early 90s, so I will choose 1993.

The Cubs featured Grace, Sandberg, Sosa before he was a weirdo. I watched a lot of games on WGN that summer.

Hockey in the early 90s was awesome. Skill, big hits, fighting was still a part of the game. The 2009-10 season will always be my favorite for Blackhawks hockey for obvious reasons, but those early teams made me fall in love with the sport. Jeremy Roenick is still my favorite player of all-time. I loved Belfour, Chelios, Amonte. I still get a kick out of seeing those guys come back to the United Center.

The Bills went to the Super Bowl for the final time. They were so much fun to watch then. Buffalo football may never be that much fun again. Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith. That was truly the last of the great years of Buffalo football. Doug Flutie made for some excitement at the end of the decade, but nothing beats the Marv Levy teams of the early 90s.

Sports broadcasts were simple then. You didn't have graphics flying all over the place, an overabundance of statistics, or broadcasters overanalyzing every little thing. Sports were much more relaxing then.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

2008 was my favorite. I still get chills thinking about Brad Lidge falling to his knees and Ruiz charging him.

2009/2010 Hockey season and the 2010 Baseball season mixed was awesome too with the Flyers in the Cup and Roy Halladay on the Phillies. I remember switching between the Flyers Stanley Cup game and the Phillies game where Halladay pitched a perfect game against the Marlins.

2008 will forever be my favorite though.

2004 was fun, kind of, for the Eagles but meh. 2004 was exciting though because I was rooting for the Sox with my Uncle (New Englander). It was a mixed bag though since the Pats beat the Eagles. Stopped caring for the New England teams then and there lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Most fun I ever had and ever will have was following the Cubs last year. That season has jaded me quite a bit. Nothing will ever top it.

But thinking back, Chicago hasn't had a lot of years where all or even most of the teams were dominant. I'll include the Blackhawks and even the White Sox, who I did enjoy in the 90s when they had Big Hurt and Robin Ventura.

In 84 the Cubs and Bears made it to their conference/league championship game(s), but both lost.

93 Bulls won a title and the White Sox lost in the ALCS

2010 Blackhawks won a title, the Bulls and Bears made it to the conference title games.

I think that's the best one as far as across the board dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    2004. I'll never care about any sports related thing as I cared about the Red Sox those few years. Patriots winning Super Bowls in February 2004 and 2005 was a great kicker.
    Yeah i kinda figured any fan of Boston area sports would pick 04. Hell, even the Celtics weren't too bad at that point

2004 or 07

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

2009. I went to game 6 of the world series.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cubs 2016.. without question.

2008/2009. KU winning the title with one of the greatest shots in college basketball history by Mario Chalmers. Then the Yankees signing CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Mark Teixeira the following winter and winning the World Series in '09.

2010. Knicks had hope in FA for a bit, then they had that super fun opening few months with Amar'e, plus the Jets had their most fun season ever (Hard Knocks included). The Mets... existed.
    POOP

2011 just like you.

That August through the end of October was pure magic for the Cardinals.

06 isn't even a close second, because nothing comes close to that sort of magic.

I actually rewatched the end of Game 6 recently.

08'

Phillies dominate.
    Kansas/Chalmers take March Madness
    Celtics beat Lakers
    Manning upsets Brady/ Tyree catch

Baseball the only sport I care about so likely '10. Though '12 & '14 were awesome as well.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast