Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Take away Harper from the Nats

If Bryce Harper isn't on the Nats are they still winning the division ?

I say yes. Makes me wonder if any player is actually worth 400million and if they actually get it.

Yes, probably. But thats just because the rest of the division is mediocre at best.

Harper is good and all but isnt exactly wowing anyone this year. But the rest of our lineup is still pretty good with Murphy, Zimmerman, Rendon, etc. Not to mention Werth and Turner have missed a lot of time for injury and Eaton got knocked out early.

Were just lucky we have such good bats because with an average lineup and the same pitching, wed be in last place no doubt.

Isn't Harper ops like 1.050 ? Its not that far off from judge who certainly everyone is wowed over.

Harper is having a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    Isn't Harper ops like 1.050 ? Its not that far off from judge who certainly everyone is wowed over.

Harper is having a great season.

Yes and is 1st in the NL. Thing is other Nat hitters are 5th, 9th and 11th in the NL. So no if you removed him they would still be fine.

Wow, just looked at Harpers and Judges stats. I had no idea Harper was doing so well, I guess it just doesnt seem like it when the players batting around him are also playing so well.

Harper has 5 more runs, 11 more hits, 6 less HR, 5 more RBI, 11 less walks, 51 less strike outs, and .04 ops in 6 less games played than judge

Harper is actually on par if not playing better than his MVP season.

Still not sure about being worth 400 mil though

Best offensive player in baseball. I think he's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post

I say yes. Makes me wonder if any player is actually worth 400million and if they actually get it.
    Yes. but not by this much. This is a team that still has Scherzer and Strasburg heading their rotation, Gio Gonzalez is a great #3 and bounced back from a poor showing last year, and a team that still has hitters in spades.

The problem is that Harper makes this lineup truly elite. Do the rest of the big bats get good pitches to hit, with as many runners on base as they would with Harper in the lineup? This truly elite lineup makes up for the lack of a playoff caliber bullpen. The Orioles and Royals both had dominant bullpens that made up for their rotations in 2014 and 2015. This elite lineup has so far covered up for a poor bullpen, and while they have made improvements (and may make another) no one is going to confuse this with the Orioles pen of 2014, the Royals pen in 14-15, or the pen that the Indians ran out there last year.

Speaking of this elite lineup, weve been no-hit through 5 innings 2 of the 3 games this series against Colorado. We don't always make up for our bullpen.
    Reading the NFL rule book like:

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Best offensive player in baseball. I think he's worth it.
    Mike Trout says hi.

If Mike had even a decent protection in the lineup, his numbers would be even scarier.

Masahiro Tanaka 2016 Stats:

Wins 13 | Losses 4 | 193.2 IPs | 34 Walks | 160 Strikeouts | 2.97 ERA | 1.06 WHIP

is any one player really on a 40 man roster worth 400 million dollars? I'd say it's a bad investment but somebody will pay it.

Probably, given how lackluster the rest of the NL East has been.

Scherzar/Stras form a dominant 1-2. Rendon, Murphy, Zimmerman are all solid pieces. But Harper is what makes that offense and everyone around him so much better.

That's an entirely situational question.

Harper moves you up the win curve 6-8ish wins by himself and he is only 24 years old.

From his age 26-35, it's not unreasonable to think he could provide a team 60 WAR.

If you are an 85-90 win team, that's a major asset. That makes you a 91-96 win team.

The Nationals are running away with their division with our without Harper. Harper isn't less valuable because the number 2 team in the NL East isn't even .500. If he was on the Cubs, Brewers, Cards, Pirates, Red Sox, Yankees, Rays, Indians or Royals you are talking about the difference from contending or running away with your division at the moment.

That can vary every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    Mike Trout says hi.

If Mike had even a decent protection in the lineup, his numbers would be even scarier.
    That narrative has been thoroughly debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Miltstar View Post
    is any one player really on a 40 man roster worth 400 million dollars? I'd say it's a bad investment but somebody will pay it.
    I personally don't think it's worth it right now, but you've got Stanton and Cabrera making over $300 million. Getting a Harper or Machado in their prime at age 26 is huge, and unprecedented in sports recently. Not since Alex Rodriguez leaving the Mariners has a talent like Harper or Machado hit free agency like this. It's going to be record setting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast