Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Andrei Markov headed to the KHL

No surprise, since he wanted to get paid $6-6.5 million from the Habs, which wasn't going to happen, and neither would any other team give that up for a defenseman approaching 40. The only chance for Markov to make that kind of money was going to be heading back home.

MONTREAL After 16 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens, defenceman Andrei Markov is heading back to Russia.

The 38-year-old said on a conference call on Thursday that he will play in the KHL and possibly the Winter Olympics next season after failing to reach agreement on a new deal with Montreal.

Markov said he was not interested in skating for any other NHL club than Montreal, where he played 990 games and put up numbers that placed him among the best defencemen in the storied club's history. And he did not rule out returning to the Canadiens or to the NHL one day.

"It is tough," he said. "I made it clear at the end of the season that I wanted to stay with the Montreal Canadiens for the rest of my career.

"It didn't happen. It's a business. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm ready to move forward. But it is tough that I'm not going to play my 1,000th game for the Canadiens. At least not this year."

He did not name his new KHL team because he has not yet signed a contract.

According to Aivis Kalnins of HockeyBuzz, Markov will sign with AkBars Kazan. He will join Jiri Sekac, Anton Lander and Stefan Elliott as former NHL players on the team.

Read More: http://www.tsn.ca/markov-won-t-retur...o-khl-1.815156

Good riddance. Liked the guy years ago but he's been a liability out there 5 on 5 for quite awhile. Guy can barely skate anymore. Unbelievable that he wants that much. And I heard he wanted 2 years too. Go home.