Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Brewers acquire Anthony Swarzak

Brewers trade Ryan Cordell for RP Anthony Swarzak. Swarzak is having a really good year, with a 2.23 ERA in 48 innings. He also averaged over a strikeout per inning.

Cordell is having a good year in a very hitter friendly environment. He was blocked in the majors since he's primarily an outfielder. He's also 25 and never tasted the bigs.

I'm okay giving up Cordell and Swarzak is a good pitcher it seems. However, I'm a bit surprised we moved Cordell for a rental. Seems like a bit of a steeper price for 20-3 innings. But we need relief help. All in all it's kind of a mediocre deal for me. I wish we had more control, but Cordell isn't a major piece anyway.

I like the deal. We traded away a player with almost zero chance at making the majors. At best he's listed as a #4 outfielder and given our other depth at the position that definetely goes down.

We basically gave up nothing for a position of weakness. My bigger concern would be that I'm not extremely confident Swarzak will keep up his production this season. Career best ERA at 31 and coming off last season where he ERA was something like 5.65. We will see, but its the position we need most and we got help at a reasonable price without sacrificing any long term plans.

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    I like the deal. We traded away a player with almost zero chance at making the majors. At best he's listed as a #4 outfielder and given our other depth at the position that definetely goes down.

We basically gave up nothing for a position of weakness. My bigger concern would be that I'm not extremely confident Swarzak will keep up his production this season. Career best ERA at 31 and coming off last season where he ERA was something like 5.65. We will see, but its the position we need most and we got help at a reasonable price without sacrificing any long term plans.
    Pretty much this, but Cordell wasn't going to be a big contributor with Brewers down the road anyway. Was likely throw in to trade. Not sure Swarzak can keep up strong season but Brewers middle relief is awful right now. Kind of a meh trade. Was hoping maybe a Hand or Wilson from DET or another LHP rather than Swarzak.

The good news is that pitching can be kinda funky that takes some time to figure things out. Swarzak isn't young, but he's also not like 38 having a career year. Hopefully he actually did figure something out, but not a major cost if he is a fluke.