Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Question Credit Score Question

Sup fellas,

So years back, I'd say about five, my credit score was shot. 330-400, something along those lines. I wanted fix my credit. I signed up for this website called Credit Karma. I'm sure you all heard of it. It recommended me this Capital One credit card, which I had "fair" approval odds. I applied and was approved.

I have spent years building my credit through the credit card, car payments, utilities, etc.

Fast forward to last Friday. I was looking to get a new credit card, something to benefit me with rewards. The Capital One was just a CC to help build back my credit, it had no benefits other than that. I was on Credit Karma and it was recommending me the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday Credit Card. I read up on it and thought it suited me.

My credit score at the time was 750 and my approval odds were "Very Good." So I'm thinking I will apply for this and get approved. So I fill out the form and submit it, only to find out that I was denied. This had me in shock. I wasn't upset I got denied, I was upset because that hard inquiry is going to damage my credit score, which it did (dropped 8 points).

Five years of fixing my credit score, only for it to drop on something that I had a "Very Good" approval rate, based on Credit Karma.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I don't know the answer to that question. However I am in the same boat as you. I checked out Credit Karma and have the same score as you (750). I've had a credit card for years but I barely used it, I always use my bank account and check what I've spending every month to check that I am within my budget. I usually spend between around 300 each month, this doesn't include rent which is with cash and my student loan that through my bank account. I've been looking into different reward programs I used Citi "Forward" card which give me "Thank you" points to redeem. They have something called Double Cash back for Citi and it seems like the simplest cash back program out there which is the only reward program I am interested in. Anyone have any other suggestions for good reward programs?

There is usually a reconsideration department but I'm not sure how successful you willl be with capital one.

750 score I'd suggest chase sapphire. Best points card out there imo.

Edit AMEX not Capital one.

Also keep in mind that credit karma isn't your actual score. They don't have your FICO score.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Costanza View Post
    Edit AMEX not Capital one.

Also keep in mind that credit karma isn't your actual score. They don't have your FICO score.
    I checked out my FISCO score under my Citi account, that one says 777 which is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I checked out my FISCO score under my Citi account, that one says 777 which is a lot better.
    That's why credit karma is said to give you a "fake-o score."

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    There are also 6 to 8 different types of FICO scores - depends on the type of credit you apply for.

There is'nt a single number used by sll lenders.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Call Amex and ask.
    When you talk to the first person. Tell them you are very upset and want to talk to their supervisor. When you get them, ask to talk to their's. It will take a bit of time but you might get the info you want. There is always the chance the computer was wrong.

It may be that your current debt/payments/overhead... is too close to your actual income. You know you can afford it but they don't see it like that.
    I wouldn't sweat the 8 points. Your score is still excellent. You will get those points back in no time

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.