• 1: That sucks

0 0%
  • 2: Series win

2 40.00%
  • 3: Keep the hot streak going

3 60.00%
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Monty struggles the 2nd and 3rd time through the order as well. Could be fatigue or maybe hitters adjust after seeing him once.

1st through Order as SP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 15/4.80/2.94/2.16
    2nd through Order as SP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 11.1/7.94/6.94/6.22

1st through Order as RP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 33.2/1.87/3.86/4.37
    2nd through Order as RP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 6.0/6.00/4.98/7.06
    I think fatigue has been his problems. Typically, guys who struggle 2nd and 3rd times through the order do so due to a smaller repertoire, but Monty's got 4 good pitches. In that last game he seemed gassed almost by the 2nd inning. Which, not sure if that's from lack of conditioning, a result of his delivery being overly demanding, or if he just isn't stretched out enough. Hopefully it's that last one.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    He strikes out basically nobody the 2nd time around and the walks explode. I want him in the long role this year and any argument to the contrary is sticking fingers in ears, IMO.

In the pen, he saves the rotation
    In the rotation, he burns the pen

A couple starts he did well against poor offenses. His command is not consistent enough to lean on in a dogfight (realistically all but the Reds could win this division) for the division pennant.
    This is only true given the current makeup of the team. Long-term we're gonna need starting pitching more than relief pitching and it's generally always easier to acquire relief pitching than starting.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Monty struggles the 2nd and 3rd time through the order as well. Could be fatigue or maybe hitters adjust after seeing him once.

1st through Order as SP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 15/4.80/2.94/2.16
    2nd through Order as SP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 11.1/7.94/6.94/6.22

1st through Order as RP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 33.2/1.87/3.86/4.37
    2nd through Order as RP IP/ERA/FIP/xFIP - 6.0/6.00/4.98/7.06
    He strikes out basically nobody the 2nd time around and the walks explode. I want him in the long role this year and any argument to the contrary is sticking fingers in ears, IMO.

A couple starts he did well against poor offenses. His command is not consistent enough to lean on in a dogfight (realistically all but the Reds could win this division) for the division pennant.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post

I agree 100 percent and his performances back this up. His last 3 starts he has only pitched 4.1, 3.0, and 2.1 innings. That is terrible. He has given up 20 earned runs his last 22 innings and his WHIP in that time is close to 2. Yes other starters have struggled as well but when you bring Montgomery out of the pen he is a rare multi inning bullpen guy who early in the year was excelling in the role. Now his confidence has likely taken a hit. And if he comes in out of the pen and struggles right away you can pull him. If he starts and struggles right away you are going to do everything you can not to pull him. I guess I am seeing something different then others or it's just pure Lackey hate but imo Mongomery should be in the pen. If you want to try him starting again next season in spring training maybe he works hard and develops better control.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    I agree 100 percent and his performances back this up. His last 3 starts he has only pitched 4.1, 3.0, and 2.1 innings. That is terrible. He has given up 20 earned runs his last 22 innings and his WHIP in that time is close to 2. Yes other starters have struggled as well but when you bring Montgomery out of the pen he is a rare multi inning bullpen guy who early in the year was excelling in the role. Now his confidence has likely taken a hit. And if he comes in out of the pen and struggles right away you can pull him. If he starts and struggles right away you are going to do everything you can not to pull him. I guess I am seeing something different then others or it's just pure Lackey hate but imo Mongomery should be in the pen. If you want to try him starting again next season in spring training maybe he works hard and develops better control.
    The 3 inning game was a relief appearance when we got blown out by the Pirates... I won't defend the other two, he pitched badly in them, but the other 6 games he started he had pretty solid results.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    I like the guy and when he has good control he can be very effective. He was great in the playoffs last season in his role. Was really hoping coming into this season he would have developed much better command, it just didn't happen. Stuff is not an issue.

I just hope his confidence isn't too shot and when he goes back to the pen when Hendricks returns he is effective.
    He doesn't need perfect command to be a good starting pitcher to begin with. It's not like he was walking 6 guys per nine innings. Again, I'll use Arrieta as an example. Other examples include such pitchers as:

Kerry Wood, Chris Archer, Carlos Martinez, Gio Gonzalez, Justin Verlander, Robbie Ray, and so on. I'm not saying he's even gonna be as good as any of those guys, but I think something like even the season Jake Arrieta is having seems reasonable. Maybe less strikeouts but more ground balls.

The numbers through his first 5 starts are much nicer:
    3.58 ERA 3.40 FIP, 3.75 xFIP

which again, not saying it's fair to just throw away his last two but it skews the fact that until those last two starts, we were seeing very good things. I'm just saying people shouldn't just dismiss him because his numbers in the bullpen really weren't that great either. Why not take the starting pitcher if you can get him?
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 07-17-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The 3 inning game was a relief appearance when we got blown out by the Pirates... I won't defend the other two, he pitched badly in them, but the other 6 games he started he had pretty solid results.
    I like the guy and when he has good control he can be very effective. He was great in the playoffs last season in his role. Was really hoping coming into this season he would have developed much better command, it just didn't happen. Stuff is not an issue.

I just hope his confidence isn't too shot and when he goes back to the pen when Hendricks returns he is effective.

Not much worried about his confidence. I think that's a slight leap.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

Leading the league in 2nd half WAR (lol)

But really, what stands out to me (besides hitting 350) is the low walk rate. We weren't being passive on strikes and we laced the ball all over the field, to great effect. Surely the Os pitching is pathetic but it felt like a shift in approach. And that has me very excited for this stretch run.

Keep swinging hard at strikes, fellas.

13 HR allowed at SunTrust Park in 9 games pitched for Teheran.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Calling it. Schwarber gets him tonight.
    I think javy will have a good game as well. Just win beeeeches

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    He's put up some pretty bad numbers at his home park (I know some of these stats are meaningless, but it's still bad)...

9 starts at home:
    1-6, 7.58 ERA (41.6 IP), 56 H, 43 R, 13 HR, 20 BB, 32 K, .298 BAA, 1.64 WHIP

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Braves activated Sean Rodriguez from DL today

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Just heard on the Score that Willy has the second highest WAR for catchers in the entire league. Only guy ahead of him is Posey.

The real Pride of the Midwest

Water coolers tremble in fear....

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast