Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Just how bad was ex-Jets GM John Idzik at drafting players?

John Idzik was the general manager of the Jets for two seasons. In that time, he drafted 19 players. How'd they turn out? It's not pretty.

The Idzik 19
    Mike Maccagnan spent this offseason purging the Jets roster. Gone were the likes of receiver Brandon Marshall, cornerback Darrelle Revis and linebacker David Harris, among others. In the place of the battle-tested aging veterans? Young guys entering, not exiting, their prime.
    But one player let go by Maccagnan didn't seem to fit the same bill. The third-year GM traded 25-year-old safety Calvin Pryor to the Browns.

The move seemed inevitable after the Jets drafted safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in the first and second rounds this year, but Pryor's departure is noteworthy for another reason: He is yet another John idzik draft pick who didn't work out.

The ex-Jets GM drafted 19 players during his two-year (2013-2014) run with the team, including an eye-popping 12 three years ago. How many are left with the Jets? Did any find success elsewhere?

2013 Draft: Dee Milliner, CB, 1st Round (No. 9)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 3
    HOW IT ENDED: Waived/injured in 2016
    CURRENT STATUS: Free agent

RECAP AND REVIEW: The Jets have had their fair share of first-round busts, but Dee Milliner, Idzik's first pick, is near the top of the list. In his three seasons in New York, he played in just 21 games as injuries derailed his career. Since 2013, he has played in just eight games. The Jets cut Milliner at the end of training camp last year. He hasn't latched on with another team since.

2013 Draft: Sheldon Richardson, DE, 1st Round (No. 13)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 5
    CURRENT STATUS: Backup defensive end with Jets

RECAP AND REVIEW: Sheldon Richardson was quite successful his first two years with the Jets. He was the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2013, and a Pro Bowler in 2014. Since then, it has been one issue after another. Richardson served suspensions to start both the 2015 and 2016 season, and lost his starting job to Leonard Williams. The Jets have Richardson on the trade block. Once/if they get an offer they like, he'll be moved.

2013 Draft: Geno Smith, QB, 2nd Round (No. 39)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 4
    HOW IT ENDED: Jets let him walk in free agency
    CURRENT STATUS: Backup with the Giants

RECAP AND REVIEW: Smith's time with the Jets is known more for controversy than on-field accomplishments. Since being drafted, Smith has been thrown off a plane after giving a flight attendant lip, skipped a team meeting because he forgot about time zone changes, had photos of his genitals leaked on the internet, cursed off a fan, and was punched in the face by a teammate.

On the field, things haven't been much better. In his 33 games played, Smith has turned the ball over 43 times. He has a career completion percentage of 57.9 and has thrown for just 5,962 yards with 28 touchdowns.

2013 Draft: Brian Winters, OG, 3rd Round (No. 72)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 5
    CURRENT STATUS: Starting guard

RECAP AND REVIEW: Winters is one of the few picks Idzik seemed to hit on. He's developed quite nicely. He's currently the starting right guard, and the Jets signed him to a four-year, $29 million extension this offseason.

2013 Draft: Oday Aboushi, OG, 5th Round (No. 141)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 2+
    HOW IT ENDED: Waived in 2015
    CURRENT STATUS: Backup with the Seattle Seahawks

RECAP AND REVIEW: Aboushi started 10 games for the Jets in 2014, but struggled. He was suspended by the league to start the 2015 season. When he returned from suspension, the Jets waived him. He spent two years with the Texans, then signed with the Seahawks this offseason

2013 Draft: William Campbell, OL, 6th Round (No. 178)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 1 (practice squad)
    HOW IT ENDED: Released after training camp rookie year

RECAP AND REVIEW: Campbell never played in any regular season games for the Jets. They released him on Aug. 30, 2014. He bounced around the NFL for a couple of seasons, spending time on the practice squad of the Bills (2014), Packers (2015) and Titans (2016), but never played in any regular season games.

2013 Draft: Tommy Bohanon, FB, 7th (No. 215)
    HOW IT ENDED: Released after training camp in 2016
    CURRENT STATUS: Jaguars

RECAP AND REVIEW: Tommy Bohanon spent three years with the Jets as their fullback. He never made much of an impact, and the Jets waived him after training camp last year. He's currently with the Jaguars.

2014 Draft: Calvin Pryor, S, 1st Round (No. 18)
    HOW IT ENDED: Traded to Browns
    CURRENT STATUS: Browns

RECAP AND REVIEW: The Jets traded Calvin Pryor to the Browns in exchange for linebacker Demario Davis on Thursday. In three season as the Jets' starter, Pryor had two total interceptions, both in 2015.

2014 Draft: Jace Amaro, TE, 2nd Round (No. 49)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 2
    HOW IT ENDED: Waived end of 2016 training camp
    CURRENT STATUS: Backup with Titans

RECAP AND REVIEW: Idzik hoped Jace Amaro, who caught 106 passes for 1,352 yards and seven touchdowns his final year at Texas Tech, would bring another dimension to the Jets' offense. Amaro didn't. He struggled as a rookie, missed all of 2015 with an injury, and was cut during the 53-man roster trim last year.

2014 Draft: Dexter McDougle, CB, 3rd Round (No. 80)
    CURRENT STATUS: Backup cornerback

RECAP AND REVIEW: McDougle missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and hasn't had much of a role the last two years. He spent most of 2016 on the Jets' practice squad. He has seven tackles and one pass breakup in 20 career games.

2014 Draft: Jalen Saunders, WR, 4th Round (No. 104)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 0
    HOW IT ENDED: Released his rookie year

RECAP AND REVIEW: The Jets released Jalen Saunders after just three games his rookie year. He bounced around the NFL for a bit, spending time with the Cardinals, Seahawks, Saints, Patriots and Bears, but hasn't played since 2015.

2014 Draft: Shaq Evans, WR, 4th Round (No. 115)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 1
    HOW IT ENDED: Released after training camp in 2015

RECAP AND REVIEW: Evans missed his entire rookie season with a shoulder injury, and the Jets waived him during training camp the next year. He briefly spent time with the Jaguars, Patriots and Cowboys, but is currently a free agent.

2014 Draft: Dakota Dozier, OL, 4th Round (No. 137)
    CURRENT STATUS: Reserve offensive lineman

RECAP AND REVIEW: Dozier has been a backup lineman for the Jets throughout his three-year career. He started two games last season.

2014 Draft: Jeremiah George, LB, 5th Round (No. 154)
    HOW IT ENDED: Claimed by Jaguars off Jets' practice squad

RECAP AND REVIEW: The Jets waived George after training camp his rookie year. They then signed him to their practice squad, but he didn't last there long. The Jaguars claimed him, and signed him to their 53-man roster. He played for the Bucs in 2015, and spent some time on the Cowboys practice squad last year. He's currently a free agent. He has 12 career tackles.

2014 Draft: Brandon Dixon, CB, 6th Round (No. 195)
    HOW IT ENDED: Released after training camp rookie year
    CURRENT STATUS: Reserve with Pittsburgh Steelers

RECAP AND REVIEW: The Jets cut Brandon Dixon after training camp his rookie year. He has bounced around the NFL since, spending time on the practice squads of the Bucs, Seahawks, Colts, Patriots and Saints. He's currently with the Steelers.

2014 Draft: Quincy Enunwa, WR, 6th Round (No. 209)
    CURRENT STATUS: Starter

RECAP AND REVIEW: One of the few picks Idzik hit on, Enuwna has developed quite nicely for the Jets. He's a key piece to the offense, and caught 58 passes for 857 yards and four touchdowns last year.

2014 Draft: I.K. Enemkpali, LB, 6th Round (No. 210)
    HOW IT ENDED: Waived in 2015
    CURRENT STATUS: Bills

RECAP AND REVIEW: I.K. Enemkpali is best known as the player who punched Geno Smith in 2015, fracturing the quarterback's jaw and paving the way for Ryan Fitzpatrick to take over as the starter. The Jets waived Enemkpali after the incident. The Bills subsequently claimed him. He has 16 career tackles.

2014 Draft: Tajh Boyd, QB, 6th Round (No. 213)
    HOW IT ENDED: Waived rookie year

RECAP AND REVIEW: The Jets waived Tajh Boyd after training camp his rookie year, and didn't make an effort to sign him to their practice squad. He popped up again the following year with the Steelers, but was cut in mid August. He spent some time in the CFL, but was released by the Montreal Alouettes last summer.

2014 Draft: Trevor Reilly, OLB, 7th Round (No. 233)
    SEASONS WITH JETS: 2
    HOW IT ENDED: Reserved/injured after training camp last year
    CURRENT STATUS: Dolphins

RECAP AND REVIEW: Reilly played two years with the Jets before being waived/injured at the end of training camp last summer. He then spent some time on the Patriots' practice squad, before the Dolphins signed him off it. In 31 career games, he has 33 tackles and one sack.

Final tally
    PLAYERS DRAFTED: 19
    PLAYERS LEFT: 5
    SUCCESSES: Brian Winters, Quincy Enunwa
    BIGGEST FAILURES: Dee Milliner, Jace Amaro
    BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Sheldon Richardson
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...jets_gm_1.html

He was complete **** as a GM.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Gross - in all honestly I did feel good about most of them even when we drafted them. I dont think you can count Sheldon as not a success though. At least by Jets standards. if you are ROY and then make the Pro Bowl you are a success if you ask me.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Idzik was god awful

Wait, so, this is saying he was NOT good?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    Gross - in all honestly I did feel good about most of them even when we drafted them. I dont think you can count Sheldon as not a success though. At least by Jets standards. if you are ROY and then make the Pro Bowl you are a success if you ask me.
    Except that he was suspended the last two seasons.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Idzik was god awful
    I concur.

I agree, Idzik was bad, but let's play devil's advocate for a second: 13 out of the 19 people he drafted are still in the NFL in some capacity after 3-4 years in the league. That is a 68.4% clip, which is probably above the league average.

So what does that say: Is it really Idzik's drafting, or bad coaching that isn't developing these players properly? Say what you want, I will gladly take 13 out of 19 draft choices playing in some capacity for my team.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I agree, Idzik was bad, but let's play devil's advocate for a second: 13 out of the 19 people he drafted are still in the NFL in some capacity after 3-4 years in the league. That is a 68.4% clip, which is probably above the league average.

So what does that say: Is it really Idzik's drafting, or bad coaching that isn't developing these players properly? Say what you want, I will gladly take 13 out of 19 draft choices playing in some capacity for my team.
    Agreed.
    But to play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate, only 5 are playing for the Jets and only one of the other 13 is a starter and the others are ST and way down on the charts. If those guys ended up on other teams and became starters, we have another conversation regarding coaching but that isn't the case.

And Geno must be pissed. He signs to be the backup with a hope of getting some snaps and the Hints draft Eli's heir apparent.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

But only 4 starters, and let's face it Rex had a lot of input on this ****.