Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Buck's county killing- could it of been prevented?

If so how?

Tragic story. Apparently the killer had a history and was mentally ill. Here is a story from the Times with some background. Inevitably, when something like this happens and signs were present we ask what could have been done differently? Well what do you think?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...imes&smtyp=cur

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

very sad story.

Mental illness is so misunderstood, it's a slippery slope trying to not only diagnose it, but then get the support necessary to pull someone from society if need be. You almost have to wait for them to commit an act.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

This is a local story and has been blowing up. I know mental illness is a slippery slope and I do think more attentive parents/guardians could've seen/done more but with mental illness, a lot of times the person themselves doesn't display everything to be handled properly.

With this situation though, he was very thought out on what he was doing with the bodies and his cousin helped. It's not like he did this alone. Mental health issues may certainly play a part but even reading this article, the dude is just an evil dude with evil intentions which doesn't always correlate to being mentally unstable. Some evil people are just evil. He seems like one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    very sad story.

Mental illness is so misunderstood, it's a slippery slope trying to not only diagnose it, but then get the support necessary to pull someone from society if need be. You almost have to wait for them to commit an act.
    It's so problematic, especially that last sentence.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of Muslim guys being reported as mentally ill by their community and then they go out and commit an atrocity and are quickly labeled terrorists. Sorry to make it political but I can think of a handful of scenarios in which the same thing happened.

If somebody says they need help or even if they don't say it, it's your duty as a friend, family member, coworker, etc to make sure that they're stable or need any help.

First however, society and my generation in particular, need to stop glorifying depression and mental illness then acting as if it's some kind of edgy trend. The more saturation there is because of people saying they're depressed, the less people are going to take it seriously and call it a cry for help/attention but you know what? You should give them that attention.

Also, the older generation gets medicated for everything, you're feeling down? Zoloft. Anxiety? Xanax. Can't sleep? Here's some Klonopin.

It's ridiculous, but like I said, there needs to be less saturation of people requesting help when they just need attention but there simultaneously needs to be responsible acquaintances who take that first step and ask if they're okay

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    It's so problematic, especially that last sentence.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard of Muslim guys being reported as mentally ill by their community and then they go out and commit an atrocity and are quickly labeled terrorists. Sorry to make it political but I can think of a handful of scenarios in which the same thing happened.

If somebody says they need help or even if they don't say it, it's your duty as a friend, family member, coworker, etc to make sure that they're stable or need any help.

First however, society and my generation in particular, need to stop glorifying depression and mental illness then acting as if it's some kind of edgy trend. The more saturation there is because of people saying they're depressed, the less people are going to take it seriously and call it a cry for help/attention but you know what? You should give them that attention.

Also, the older generation gets medicated for everything, you're feeling down? Zoloft. Anxiety? Xanax. Can't sleep? Here's some Klonopin.

It's ridiculous, but like I said, there needs to be less saturation of people requesting help when they just need attention but there simultaneously needs to be responsible acquaintances who take that first step and ask if they're okay
    It's not that easy. There are some people, regardless of mental stability or lack there of, that can't be reached. You can't force anyone to do anything, now there are certain levels in which you can but it's almost like Hawkeye said, you almost have to wait for them to commit an act to do anything. People that commit themselves, admit problems, etc are the ones that are going to be more likely to get better. The one's that won't admit or don't know what to do are the ones that'll have the more problems. The only thing society can really do is offer avenues and educate. That's truly the only way.

It's not just the elderly, it's a societal thing. Everyone is medicated like you even said how saturated the mental health diagnosis epidemic is. Kids can't focus - adderral, dealing with a bad break up - zolaft/xanax, finger cut - oxycotin. It's an escape anymore for everything, not just mental health. Let me fix it with a pill.

Mental health is just such a hard and almost subjective issue. You can have all the signs and symptoms of a legit depressed person, and all you are is sad one day. It's hard to measure. You can make up any and everything to get the drug you want. Metal pain and anguish is easily deceptive.

It's why a story like this could be very much that this kid was/is just a terrible human being and is getting defended by a mental health cover-up. Not saying it's true, but his background to me looks more like an ******* than it does clinically insane. He looks to be more locked up as a prisoner rather than a mental health patient.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I mean, yeah, some people are just born horrible people. But you have to figure out how to get to them before they murder 4 people

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I mean, yeah, some people are just born horrible people. But you have to figure out how to get to them before they murder 4 people
    I don't disagree but I'm sure there are plenty of people that could be creeps, evil, *******s like this that don't do what he did, mental or not.

How could this even be prevented? Maybe we have to get the oracles from Minority Report.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I don't disagree but I'm sure there are plenty of people that could be creeps, evil, *******s like this that don't do what he did, mental or not.

How could this even be prevented? Maybe we have to get the oracles from Minority Report.
    solid flick

solid flick
    Solid turn. ha. Actually is.

You don't.

Sane people commit murder too. Murder is not limited to insane people -- I doubt the majority of murders are even committed by people that are legitimately insane.

Making threats is a crime. If anyone dies that they should be held accountable and receive some type of counseling treatment. I suppose that's all you can do.

Its called humanity and society... we have a 400 strike policy where you can show all the signs in the world of being bat **** crazy and nothing can be done because a person has rights... Example... My neighbor is an 84 year old man whom common sense would dictate needs to be put a way for everyones well being... He sleeps 16 plus hours a day and is on 900 meds... he isnt mentally ill but he is a danger to his neighbors... he has left the stove on and fallen asleep 12 times over the past 2-4 years... we help him with his meds and his niece has tried to put him in a home but because he owns his house and is in the right state of mind nobody can do anything and thus all is well even though he is basically similar to a child.

Humanity is ****... we are... we are a virus and every day there is some kind of new excuse for why we do bad ****... Stop giving people the benefit of the ****ing doubt because it will just end badly.```````````````````````````````````````

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    You don't.

Sane people commit murder too. Murder is not limited to insane people -- I doubt the majority of murders are even committed by people that are legitimately insane.

Making threats is a crime. If anyone dies that they should be held accountable and receive some type of counseling treatment. I suppose that's all you can do.
    I just find it hard to believe, a person(s) that methodically murder 4 people, at different times, in different events, never showed a sign of being a lunatic. It doesn't mean insane, it means harmful.

It's tough, you can't force anyone to seek therapy, or do anything, until they commit an act. You just hope they don't commit the ultimate act of violence as their first catchable offense..

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Its called humanity and society... we have a 400 strike policy where you can show all the signs in the world of being bat **** crazy and nothing can be done because a person has rights... Example... My neighbor is an 84 year old man whom common sense would dictate needs to be put a way for everyones well being... He sleeps 16 plus hours a day and is on 900 meds... he isnt mentally ill but he is a danger to his neighbors... he has left the stove on and fallen asleep 12 times over the past 2-4 years... we help him with his meds and his niece has tried to put him in a home but because he owns his house and is in the right state of mind nobody can do anything and thus all is well even though he is basically similar to a child.

Humanity is ****... we are... we are a virus and every day there is some kind of new excuse for why we do bad ****... Stop giving people the benefit of the ****ing doubt because it will just end badly.```````````````````````````````````````
    yeah, at the end of the day, as sophisticated as humans are, we are just part of the animal kingdom. And that means stupidity, death, and murder..

yeah, at the end of the day, as sophisticated as humans are, we are just part of the animal kingdom. And that means stupidity, death, and murder..
    Don't say it like it's only negatives. It also means eating, sleeping, ******** and ****ing. Which is pretty hype.