Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Social Justice and Feminism

Feminist scientists say citing research by straight, white men promotes ‘a system of oppression’

Academics and scholars must be mindful about using research done by only straight, white men, according to two scientists who argued that it oppresses diverse voices and bolsters the status of already privileged and established white male scholars.

Geographers Carrie Mott and Daniel Cockayne argued in a recent paper that doing so also perpetuates what they call “white heteromasculinism,” which they defined as a “system of oppression” that benefits only those who are “white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered.” (Cisgendered describes people whose gender identity matches their birth sex.)

Mott, a professor at Rutgers University in New Jersey, and Cockayne, who teaches at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, argued that scholars or researchers disproportionately cite the work of white men, thereby unfairly adding credence to the body of knowledge they offer while ignoring the voices of other groups, like women and black male academics. Although citation seems like a mundane practice, the feminist professors argue that citing someone's work has implications on his or her ability to be hired, get promoted and obtain tenured status, among others.

[Women’s issues are different from trans women’s issues, feminist author says, sparking criticism]

“This important research has drawn direct attention to the continued underrepresentation and marginalization of women, people of color. … To cite narrowly, to only cite white men … or to only cite established scholars, does a disservice not only to researchers and writers who are othered by white heteromasculinism …," they wrote in the paper published recently in the journal Gender, Place and Culture.

Mott and Cockayne did not immediately respond to questions from The Washington Post, but Mott told Campus Reform last week that they decided to write about citation practices after observing that research done by white men are relied upon more heavily than those done by experts from other backgrounds.

Work done by women and other minorities have often been overlooked by their peers, hindering their professional advancement and depriving disciplines of diverse perspectives, she argued.

When citations are predominantly those of the work of white, straight males, “this means that the views and knowledge that are represented do not reflect the experience of people from other backgrounds,” she told Campus Reform. “When scholars continue to cite only white men on a given topic, they ignore the broader diversity of voices and researchers that are also doing important work on that topic.”

In their 22-page paper, “Citation matters: mobilizing the politics of citation toward a practice of 'conscientious engagement,'" they explained that their work was motivated by “shared feelings of discomfort, frustration, and anger” over actions of fellow scholars and publication practices.

The authors offer what they describe as practical strategies for fellow geographers who work in a largely male-dominated discipline. According to the American Association of Geographers, men and women account for 62 percent and 38 percent of its members, respectively.

[Feminist group alleges sexually hostile environment at U of Mary Washington]

One of them: Scholars should read through their work and count all the citations before submitting their work for publication, and see how many people of diverse backgrounds — women, people of color, early-career scholars, graduate students and non-academics — are cited.

“Today, the field is more diverse, but this diversity is largely represented by earlier career scholars. Citing only tenured, established scholars means that these voices are ignored, especially when it is well-known that today's brutally competitive academic job market continues to privilege the white heteromasculinist body,” they wrote.

Editors and reviewers also can act as watchdogs of sort by scrutinizing a scholar's body of citation, they argued.

Campus Reform writer said she asked the researchers whether the disparity in citations is simply because there are more men than women in the field of geography. In response, Cockayne said their point is that research done by “marginalized voices” is often ignored.
    Rutgers and Cockayne both describe themselves as feminists and have done research related to feminism.

Rutgers also focuses her research on race and social justice, among other things. She describes herself as a “feminist political geographer,” who's interested in “how resistance movements mobilize to fight against state-sponsored violence and marginalization.” Cockayne's research and interest are on digital media, entrepreneurship, and gender and sexuality.
    https://archive.fo/KNBtD#selection-2087.0-2123.66

PSD approved of course.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

That 3rd paragraph tho...

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    That 3rd paragraph tho...
    What could possibly be wrong with it, it's The Washington Post?
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I don't know what that means, but I'm saying if that third paragraph (excluding bolded title) is true, then it certainly puts the click baity title a little more into context.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Well, I'm a middle aged white male who is an American citizen, does pretty well for myself, and I am a Republican. So I have absolutely no right to comment on this topic.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

The argument that researchers seek out studies by straight white men because they're racist/sexist and that results in oppression is... well I don't even have words for it.

It's completely out of hand and it needs to die now.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Well, I'm a middle aged white male who is an American citizen, does pretty well for myself, and I am a Republican. So I have absolutely no right to comment on this topic.
    Stop exaggerating. Being middle aged has nothing to do with it...

No, it definitively does. Most middle aged individuals were never taught to be this stupid. Different generations.

And Ben Shapiro will be debating the fat idiot from The Young Turks at Politicon at the end of the month.

You guys get your Donald Trump thread so I'd like to have this so a few of us can make fun of the stuff that some of you actually convince yourselves to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVDBD_HXtMs

That got an Emmy nom. You think they're not trying to push an agenda?

Lmao! Sadly, being middle aged definitely matters. That's the prime age, ethics, background and genetics that every Democrat hates. Which is confusing because the Democratic leaders are middle/older aged, rich and white. They are the exact thing they campaign against.

Well....waters is a bit different, but yeah... She is a certified nut job.

It's definitely pushing it a bit, but that title is a pretty dishonest representation of it. "Feminist scientists say citing research by straight, white men promotes ‘a system of oppression’ does not equal "Feminist scientists say only citing research by straight, white men promotes ‘a system of oppression’", no matter how much someone wants it to.

Trying to encourage more varied representation in the field isn't bad at all, but at some point you need to defer to meritocracy. If a white male has leading or relevant research, then that's just who you cite.

Title of the article is misleading. Can one really be a Feminist Scientist? Sounds like two competing goals.

I will add though, I doubt too many people wont cite Neil Degrasse Tyson because hes black. There certainly is this movement among the left, especially the college campus left, that white = racist. My hope is the democrats remove that type of thought from the platform, but I have my doubts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeoC7P7Wmo

Pure stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    I will add though, I doubt too many people wont cite Neil Degrasse Tyson because hes black. There certainly is this movement among the left, especially the college campus left, that white = racist. My hope is the democrats remove that type of thought from the platform, but I have my doubts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeoC7P7Wmo

Pure stupidity.
    No, I think you are playing the victim card here. It is like you never heard that a large majority of liberals and leftist are white. So why would they promote White=racist? Yes, there is a intolerance towards right wing speakers on the campus, but these same right wingers get a free ride on capital hill and FOX news, where the left is scorn and ridicule. The same right wingers fueled the conservative choke hold on America politic for the last forty some years. And please don't tell me liberal media and campus run the nation. The move against healthcare is pure right wing. The deregulation of what coal company can release into the water way is pure right wing. SD oil pipe line, pure right wing.

I don't know how many times black issues get roasted on conservative news shows or among republicans congressional members.

So, quit with the victim card playing. No one on these campus, especially the whites folks, are equating white with racism. That is what Rush want you to believe. The attack on the white culture bs. Right up there with the war on Christmas.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast