Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Schefter: Cousins open to re-signing with Redskins after season

The Cousins storyline continues it's awkward series of twists and turns, with more positive news coming after earlier off-season reports that it was a foregone conclusion he would be going to San Francisco. With all that has gone down behind the scenes in Washington, I am surprised this has changed.

Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins is not expected to sign a long-term deal by Monday's 4 p.m. deadline to sign franchise players to long-term contracts, but he is open to doing a deal with the team after this season, per a source familiar with the situation.

Washington still could make a last-minute push to try to get a deal done by the Monday deadline; however, Cousins fully intends to play this season under his franchise tag, worth $23.9 million in 2017.

There has been a positive, constructive tone to recent contract talks, per sources. However, Cousins prefers to wait to do a deal at this time, just as the Redskins preferred to wait to do a deal at this time last year.

It also means that Cousins will play this season, as he did last season, knowing that the better he plays, the more he will get paid after this season. But he also will become the first quarterback in NFL history to play two straight seasons under the franchise tag, giving him more leverage than any player has had in any recent year.

Washington still can use its franchise tag on him again next offseason for a third straight year, but it would cost the Redskins $34,478,784 to franchise him again. Under that scenario, Cousins would be unable to negotiate with any other teams.

Washington also could transition him for $28,732,320 million, but another team would have the ability to sign him to an offer sheet that Washington would then have seven days to match.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...en-deal-season

Either way he's gonna be getting 30M/season unless he completely ***** the bed

I can't wait to see this headline again 12 months from now.

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

This has been being reported for months. And tomorrow they'll be saying he wants nothing to do with Washington. Its a non story.

Until he signs a new contract, whether with Washington or elsewhere, I cant believe anything I see reported about it.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    This has been being reported for months. And tomorrow they'll be saying he wants nothing to do with Washington. Its a non story.

Until he signs a new contract, whether with Washington or elsewhere, I cant believe anything I see reported about it.
    Just curious, but what do you value him at as a fan of the team? And just to cover both sides of it, do his value in an over valued QB league and his value without assumption of all QBs getting overpaid.

Washington is a joke. Should have signed him long term 2 seasons ago, would have saved sooo much $$$. I wouldn't be surprised to see the skins tag him again next year and pay him 34 mil lol because without him the skins cant win more the 5 games and they know that.

He's gonna make a boat load of money next year.

If I was him I'd refuse to sign with Washington. Force them use the franchise tag, transition tag. Worst case he's let go and gets signed with someone else for the market value he's looking for. It's a win win for him.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Just curious, but what do you value him at as a fan of the team? And just to cover both sides of it, do his value in an over valued QB league and his value without assumption of all QBs getting overpaid.
    I value him at about $20 per. That being said, hes going to get paid a lot more than that, and I wouldnt mind us overpaying him. We need stability at the position.

And im no contract negotiator, I have zero idea what athletes should actually be getting paid. Certainly not millions of dollars. But in a world where NFL qbs arent overpaid, i guess id value him around 15-16?

I value him at about $20 per. That being said, hes going to get paid a lot more than that, and I wouldnt mind us overpaying him. We need stability at the position.

And im no contract negotiator, I have zero idea what athletes should actually be getting paid. Certainly not millions of dollars. But in a world where NFL qbs arent overpaid, i guess id value him around 15-16?
    Those are both fair. At this point if they can get him under 25M/season they'll be doing well from a negotiating standpoint. As long as he doesn't have an abysmal season he's setting himself up nicely to blow whatever the largest contract will be at the time out of the water. I think he's the first potential franchise QB to hit the market since Brees, so if he's only after a payday he'll have teams like CLE/SF/JAX throwing 30M/season at him.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Where do you value Tim Tebow?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Id offer him $900 mil over two seasons to play first base, or twice that to play OF

Id offer him $900 mil over two seasons to play first base, or twice that to play OF
    Very astute

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    He's priceless.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    He's priceless.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I ordered my Mets jersey last week.

Can't wait.

This backfired on the Redskins in the worst possible way. They are an inept franchise that continues to get worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast