Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Players due to regress in 2017/2018?

Who are the players that you think will regress (or continue to regress) next year? Post them here for discussion.

T.J. Oshie immediately comes to mind. Artemi Panarin could go either way since he's no longer playing with arguably the top RW in the game but will still be playing with very good line-mates. Brad Marchand seems like someone that I don't think will repeat last year's performance either.

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    T.J. Oshie immediately comes to mind. Artemi Panarin could go either way since he's no longer playing with arguably the top RW in the game but will still be playing with very good line-mates. Brad Marchand seems like someone that I don't think will repeat last year's performance either.
    Except Oshie is likely to still be playing with Ovechkin, and either Backstrom or Kuzy. I definitely m interested in hearing your reasons, especially since I have homer glasses as a Caps fan.

No Caps homer glasses here and I don't see why Oshie would regress. Been pretty consistent the last number of years. Only difference was more goals and less assists than usual but points were around the same.

T.J. Oshie is coming off of his best NHL season and is turning 31 in December. To say he will regress a bit is fair. He was on pace for like 65 points and is like 38 goals. Add that with the slow decline of Alex Ovechkin, it's fair to say he'll drop off a tad. Not much. He's a consistent 50-55 point winger. I don't think he touches 30 goals again next season.

Think Brad Marchand goes from a point per game to the high 60s-low 70s.

Second year struggles are a real thing. I believe it will hit one of Matthews/Marner/Nylander.

Brent Burns under 65 points.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Except Oshie is likely to still be playing with Ovechkin, and either Backstrom or Kuzy. I definitely m interested in hearing your reasons, especially since I have homer glasses as a Caps fan.
    I keep forgetting he re-signed but he's also a case of a player shooting WAY higher than his career average in a contract year. I think the points could be similar but he'll play more games and have a shooting percentage more in line with his first year with the Caps. Basically, less goals and lower PPG average.

Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    T.J. Oshie is coming off of his best NHL season and is turning 31 in December. To say he will regress a bit is fair. He was on pace for like 65 points and is like 38 goals. Add that with the slow decline of Alex Ovechkin, it's fair to say he'll drop off a tad. Not much. He's a consistent 50-55 point winger. I don't think he touches 30 goals again next season.

Think Brad Marchand goes from a point per game to the high 60s-low 70s.

Second year struggles are a real thing. I believe it will hit one of Matthews/Marner/Nylander.

Brent Burns under 65 points.
    I'd agree with these. I think the Leafs trio will still be good, but wouldn't surprise me if one or more of them had less points than last year. Burns I think will have less points as he had a monster year last year, but I probably would've said that after 2015/16 also and he is coming off of back-to-back 75 and 76-point seasons.

I'm going to throw Nikita Kucherov name into the ring on this one. Posted 85 points in 74 games for a 1.14ppg on the season. The prior two seasons he was a .82ppg, so I could see his numbers come back down. Kucherov was also very PP dependent last year as nearly half his goals came on the PP.

Come Join Us In The NHL Forum

Craig Anderson. 5th in the league in GSAA last season at age 35.

T.J. Oshie. Scored on almost 1/4 of his shot attempts last year. He won't make it to 30 goals.

Artem Anisimov. He will be more effected by the loss of Panarin than Kane will. The time for the Hawks to deal him is now coming off of career highs in goals and points, in my opinion.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Oshie may regress in goals but I don't see a regression overall. Not a heavy one anyway. He's a 50-60 point guy and I don't see that changing.