Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Nationals acquire Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson from A's

Any word on who is going to close or if it is going to be a platoon?

"there's no shines in my shinebox"

From John Sickels on Neuse and Luzardo:

7) Sheldon Neuse, 3B, Grade B-: Age 22, second round pick in 2016 from University of Oklahoma; hit .230/.305/.341 in New York-Penn League, well off the .369/.465/.646 spring he had for the Sooners; best tool is arm, college shortstop looked comfortable at third base in NY-P; will need to get the hitting back to project well at the hot corner but scouts still seem confident that he will hit for average and moderate power with more adjustment time. ETA late 2019.
    No write up on Luzardo, but he gave him a C+ grade.

This is a very good trade for the Nats. Not giving up a lot and filling a HUGE need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

I agree. Trade for two very good proven guys while giving up a solid reliever in Treinen.

Doolittle is under control for 2 years and Madson through one, right?

From the surface, this looks like a decent swap, and one the Nats really needed

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I agree. Trade for two very good proven guys while giving up a solid reliever in Treinen.

Doolittle has 4 years of control through team options

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Doolittle has 4 years of control through team options

Yep, even with his shoulder hanging by a thread I wanted the Cubs to get him. That's control pretty much through the Bryant years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

I think that Madson has a 2018 option as well.

Yankees Farm System

Just happy to get rid of Treinen!

Decent return for the A's, and they get out ahead of all of the other teams looking to sell bullpen arms. Maybe in another spot, Treinen can find what works for him. I read earlier in the year that Wieters was really excited to work with him, so maybe a change of scenery does well for him.

I still think the Nats need that impact closer. The Orioles have that for them in either Brach or Britton, but the rumor mill going today said that the Nats never called to check on Britton before this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Decent return for the A's, and they get out ahead of all of the other teams looking to sell bullpen arms. Maybe in another spot, Treinen can find what works for him. I read earlier in the year that Wieters was really excited to work with him, so maybe a change of scenery does well for him.

I still think the Nats need that impact closer. The Orioles have that for them in either Brach or Britton, but the rumor mill going today said that the Nats never called to check on Britton before this deal.
    The market for star closers, even rental ones, if anything like last year would mean they'd have to part with Robles.

Something tells me that's not a price they'd be willing to meet. I certainly wouldn't.

But to not call is pretty interesting. Based off of what they gave up, it would seem to me that they aren't precluded from making another deal.

But with Madson, Doolittle and a healthy Koda Glover when he gets back, it would seem that they finally have some semblance of a major league bullpen shaping up.

Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    The market for star closers, even rental ones, if anything like last year would mean they'd have to part with Robles.

Something tells me that's not a price they'd be willing to meet. I certainly wouldn't.

But to not call is pretty interesting. Based off of what they gave up, it would seem to me that they aren't precluded from making another deal.

But with Madson, Doolittle and a healthy Koda Glover when he gets back, it would seem that they finally have some semblance of a major league bullpen shaping up.

If they got Britton for Robles, it would be worth it for them IMO. However, they have moved a lot of prospects over the last couple seasons, so they may want to play it safe. Right now with the bullpen in the shape it is, compared to the rest of the roster, I think they need to go all-in right now.

Nothing is going to happen between the Nats and O's while they're in their legal battle over TV rights. Nothing will probably happen even when that's over because there will be bad blood. I guarantee that's why they haven't called about Britton and likely won't.

Quote Originally Posted by RCarlson85 View Post
    Nothing is going to happen between the Nats and O's while they're in their legal battle over TV rights. Nothing will probably happen even when that's over because there will be bad blood. I guarantee that's why they haven't called about Britton and likely won't.
    As an Orioles fan, I am well aware of this. Its foolish on both sides not to talk trade, especially with the needs of the Nationals, but it is what it is.