Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 260
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Its something that has fluidity as well. 2 years ago in NY it was all about Matt Harvey and Noah Syndergaard. Then last year it was all about Gary Sanchez. If regional faces are changing to that frequency whats the odds it has any staying power nationally? Not to mention, it doesn't translate to the same extent because baseball means less and less on a national level.
    Baseball is regional for the most part I agree with you there.

    It can definitely have national stars though. Jeter, Arod, Bonds, Ortiz were all national stars and faces for the game to the point where I think a lot of people who didn't even watch baseball could point them out easily.

    The Yankees and Red Sox kind of transcend that though in the same way the Cowboys, the Lakers and a couple other franchises do.

    If he continues to play like he does he will be up there in popularity with all the other major sports stars.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,646
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    Baseball is regional for the most part I agree with you there.

    It can definitely have national stars though. Jeter, Arod, Bonds, Ortiz were all national stars and faces for the game to the point where I think a lot of people who didn't even watch baseball could point them out easily.

    The Yankees and Red Sox kind of transcend that though in the same way the Cowboys, the Lakers and a couple other franchises do.

    If he continues to play like he does he will be up there in popularity with all the other major sports stars.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can agree Jeter and Ortiz translated on a larger scale than just Boston and NY. That said, what helped them achieve that extensive notoriety wasn't just what they accomplished on the field individually but how many championships they won. The Core 4 became synonymous with the Yankee dynasty that brought them back to dominance.

    Ortiz was part of arguably the most famous team of all time in the 2004 Red Sox that reversed the curse and eventually brought 3 WS rings to Boston after 86 years of not winning any. Judge hasn't been part of or been the main piece on a team like that. I mean we are writing him as the face of baseball before he's won the ROY and with the team having not accomplished anything yet. Could he get there? I mean if the Yankees build another dynasty and he's the best player in baseball during that time, sure, but I don't know if it holds the same value it did 20 years ago or for that matter, really means all that much.

    Baseball has changed with the introduction of all these regional sports networks. Nobody watches Fox or ESPN's game of the week anymore. ****, people hardly watch the WS anymore. Its just not the same it was when Mickey Mantle or Ken Griffey Jr played.

    Not to mention Bonds and A-Rod were always polarizing figures. I dont know if they were ever the face of baseball.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-16-2017 at 09:06 PM.

  3. 07-16-2017, 09:20 PM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

  4. 07-16-2017, 10:11 PM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

  5. 07-17-2017, 12:08 AM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

  6. 07-17-2017, 12:11 AM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

  7. 07-17-2017, 12:14 AM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    38,848
    Most probably know that Judge leads the league in batted balls of 100+ mph EV, but equally as impressive is he leads the league in hits on 95+ mph pitches

    His home run spray chart literally looks like an umbrella. It's unbelievable.

  9. 07-17-2017, 12:22 AM
    Reason
    Response to a deleted post - Rush

  10. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    25,160
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    Fix his grill? Michael Strahan says hi.

    And I'm not even a Giants fan.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Small teeth give me the creeps.

  11. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    88,025
    he will be because he is a yankee but no.. no ****ing way should he be... trout just came back after missing what 40 games? He will finish within 1 war or so of Judge mark my words... Trout is by far the best player in baseball but he isnt a yankee/redsox/cub/dodger so we keep trying to find the next face of baseball because of it... The face should be the best player and not the player that has been the best over a half a season... Trout is/has and will continue to be the very best baseball player in the world and as usual we are looking at a guy in a massive market and trying to push him over guys that have been and are just better... Jeter was a face for a very long time while he was never actually the best player in baseball... It needs to stop... Its not trouts fault he doesnt play for the yankees.

  12. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    38,848
    Poor Twout

  13. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by coakland View Post
    Does he now take the spot, pushing aside Mike Trout?
    I'm already sick of this clown and ESPN's slobberfest over him.

  14. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    I'm already sick of this clown and ESPN's slobberfest over him.
    Well we currently live in the most reactionary time ever. Have to expect it, and then just roll your eyes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    I'm already sick of this clown and ESPN's slobberfest over him.
    Its not Judge's fault he's overexposed. He seems like a really cool and humble guy. The problem is ESPN's ****** programming where its Judge, Lebron, the Warriors and the NFL 95% of the time.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-17-2017 at 11:12 AM.

  16. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    34,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    I'm already sick of this clown and ESPN's slobberfest over him.
    Don't take it out on Judge lol. He hasn't done anything besides mash the ball.

  17. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    18,211
    You could make a pretty sound argument that there hasn't been a true "face of baseball" since Ruth played. The opaque title is typically held by a handful of guys for any number of years. I'd contend right now there's a fairly concise top five, listed alphabetically: Bryant, Harper, Judge, Kershaw and Trout.

    The fact that Judge has catapulted himself into that conversation in three and a half months is nothing short of incredible.


  18. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    2,865
    I don't get all this "face of baseball" crap. As a Giants fan my face of baseball is Buster Posey. And I'm sure other team's fans feel the same about their team's star or favorite player(s) and would certainly not agree with mine.

    If the "face of baseball" means MLB's attempt to market one guy to represent the sport and cash in on it, then screw them. There's enough teams from vastly differing markets with players that their fans can relate to. What's the sense in appointing one player to personify the sport?

    If Trout is the face of baseball to Angels fans, that's fine. If Kershaw is the face of baseball to Dodger fans, that's fine. If Judge is the face of baseball to Yankee fans, that's fine. If Sano is the face of baseball to Twins fans, that's fine. Anything else is marketing ******** which means nothing to local fans following their local teams.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

  19. #88
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    he will be because he is a yankee but no.. no ****ing way should he be... trout just came back after missing what 40 games? He will finish within 1 war or so of Judge mark my words... Trout is by far the best player in baseball but he isnt a yankee/redsox/cub/dodger so we keep trying to find the next face of baseball because of it... The face should be the best player and not the player that has been the best over a half a season... Trout is/has and will continue to be the very best baseball player in the world and as usual we are looking at a guy in a massive market and trying to push him over guys that have been and are just better... Jeter was a face for a very long time while he was never actually the best player in baseball... It needs to stop... Its not trouts fault he doesnt play for the yankees.
    Sometimes life isn't fair?

    Marketability is subject to the free market, which doesn't give a lick about who "should" be the face of baseball.

  20. #89
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    35,925
    I don't think "face of baseball" is as regionalized as being discussed. #24 just said being a Giants fan his is Posey. I could see that but even when the Phillies were great from 07-11 I never considered Utley, Howard, or Rollins the face of baseball.

    I just think it's more faceless of a sport actually. Sports in general I feel "the face of" just isn't much of a thing anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  21. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,528
    It's not Judge's fault he's recently been all over ESPN. The dude just plays ball. Seems humble, at least from what I've seen. Good for him so far this season.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •