Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    This face of baseball stuff is dumb as ****.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Its not Judge's fault he's overexposed. He seems like a really cool and humble guy. The problem is ESPN's ****** programming where its Judge, Lebron, the Warriors and the NFL 95% of the time.
    Yes. I agree with this 110%...I can't watch anything but live sports these days. I could give a **** what any of these talking heads want to talk about. Sports aren't that interesting where there needs to be news 24 hours a day...so they have to talk about something...and overblow it "is _____ the best ever???"

It gets old. I won't watch anything besides live sports or documentaries like 30/30 or something. Everything else is garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron Judge: the new face of baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Don't take it out on Judge lol. He hasn't done anything besides mash the ball.
    Not Judges fault at all. I personally really like him. He seemed to really be soaking it all in during the all star break, and he has the attitude that he expects to excel.

You don't see him want to celebrate or promote his "brand". He's humble, not "fake" humble like other big names these days.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not against celebrating...

But if you're celebrating a solid tackle after you've given up a first down it signals that you didn't expect to make that tackle or that you have a selfish attitude. (I'm a football guy, sorry for the analogy)

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    This face of baseball stuff is dumb as ****.
    They have to produce 24 hours of sports news a day because dummies in the world watch ESPN at all hours of the day.

You guys are taking it so seriously, my gosh.....
    and LOL @ the guys saying "let me know when it's been 5 years". There's no ****ing exact criteria to becoming the face of a sport. I don't care if hes played for 5 years or 5 months. He's great. People are following him and his numbers, i would say more so than anyone else (IMO). People who dont even know a thing about baseball realize how insane Judge is. And whether they like the sport or find it the most boring thing in the world, i'm sure they are still fascinated by him. Sounds like he's representing the sport to me.

Quote Originally Posted by coakland View Post
    and LOL @ the guys saying "let me know when it's been 5 years". There's no ****ing exact criteria to becoming the face of a sport. I don't care if hes played for 5 years or 5 months. He's great. People are following him and his numbers, i would say more so than anyone else (IMO). People who dont even know a thing about baseball realize how insane Judge is. And whether they like the sport or find it the most boring thing in the world, i'm sure they are still fascinated by him. Sounds like he's representing the sport to me.

Quote Originally Posted by coakland View Post
    There are a lot of guys who represent the sport. That's the point. It's not as singular as it used to be because baseball is not the national sport it once was, nor is anyone catapulting it to those levels again. That's not a knock on Judge but I'm pretty sure there's a wide group of people that wouldn't define him as the face of baseball.

You do need to accomplish something though. Look at the "faces" of other sports and tell me those guys if those guys are unaccomplished.

There are a lot of guys who represent the sport. That's the point. It's not as singular as it used to be because baseball is not the national sport it once was, nor is anyone catapulting it to those levels again. That's not a knock on Judge but I'm pretty sure there's a wide group of people that wouldn't define him as the face of baseball.

You do need to accomplish something though. Look at the "faces" of other sports and tell me those guys if those guys are unaccomplished.
    Baseball can have a singular national figure, as annoying as that would be to some. And it would be damn good for the sport, too.

I like when baseball is growing and attracting kids to play it, not when I'm part of some cool, tiny club.

I stopped listening when you told me Mike Trout was unmarketable.

I stopped listening when you told me Mike Trout was unmarketable.
    Compared to his talent? He should have deals up the wazoo. He's an all time great entering his prime.

And he will also tell you how much it meant to him to watch his childhood hero Derek Jeter play, baseball's last "face" of the game.

http://opendorse.com/blog/2016-highe...ete-endorsers/

Look at all those MLBers on this list. And who is missing?

#unmarketable

Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    Compared to his talent? He should have deals up the wazoo. He's an all time great entering his prime.

And he will also tell you how much it meant to him to watch his childhood hero Derek Jeter play, baseball's last "face" of the game.
    Real reputable site it looks like when it has Ryan Howard, Jacoby Ellsbury, Cliff Lee (who hasn't played since 2014) and Prince Fielder among its top 100 athletes. Am sure those guys are more marketable than the best player in baseball.

That was your original point. You then changed it to say he was unmarketable period which is complete BS.

I know this is a sensitive issue for you because he's a Yankee, he's handsome, and he follows in Derek Jeter's legacy but there are a ton of contrarian opinions in this thread alone. What makes you think its so uniform among MLB fan bases?
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-17-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Trout has earned, as of April 2016, $41M from endorsements so I'm not sure how he isn't on that list. In 2013 he made an estimated $1.5-$3M in endorsements.

It's not that Trout is unmarketable, there just aren't many baseball players that are and it's likely due to the sport, not the player.

There are a number of reasons baseball players struggle in the endorsement game that are tied directly to the game's nature. While brands want as much focus as possible on their athletes, MLB players spend a good portion of the game away from the camera, on the bench, or waiting for their next turn at bat. In constrast, individual sport athletes do extremely well in endorsements partly because all of the focus is on them. The Forbes 2015 rankings show tennis player Roger Federer as the top endorsement earner ($55 million), followed by golfers Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson (about $50 million apiece).

Next on the list is NBA superstar LeBron James at $44 million, which gets at another problem MLB stars encounter: Basketball players endorse pricey sneakers that can be worn every day, while no one wants to put on a pair of cleats to head to the mall.
    Baseball's older fanbase also isn't attractive to companies that want to court young consumers to build a sense of cool around their product and establish lasting brand loyalty.

"Because the game skews a little older in terms of demographics, some of the companies looking for teens as a prime demographic would maybe look to the NFL or to the NBA," Dorfman said.

In the latest Harris poll, 16 percent of adults said pro baseball is their top sport, trailing only pro football. But those fans are getting older. Fifty percent of the MLB audience was 55 or older and 26 percent was between 33 and 54 years old, according to data from Nielsen's 2013 Year in Sports Media report.

The NFL, however, is popular with nearly everyone, while the NBA boasted the youngest audience among the major sports (45 percent of its fan are under 35 years old). The NFL also has sky-high TV ratings, while big NBA games typically outperform big MLB games.
    Retired New York Yankees legend Derek Jeter was long the gold standard as an endorser in MLB. Yet, in a world where Federer pulls in $55 million annually for endorsements, Jeter topped out at about $9 million a year from sponsorships, according to Forbes. Even football stars like Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning and New Orleans Saint quarterback Drew Brees made more than $10 million from endorsements, according to Forbes ó and they wear helmets obscuring their identity the entire game.

"I donít think there's anyone right now making more than $5 million in endorsement deals," Dorfman said of MLB's biggest stars.

Football and basketball players also benefit from the massive popularity of college sports that help them build their brands and win over sponsors long before they are in the majors.

"They're stars already before they turn pro," said Jensen. "If you go back to the 1970s and 1980s Ö when baseball was the most popular sport in America, at the time college sports was really a non-factor on the national scene."
    http://www.ibtimes.com/mlb-stars-get...es-why-2348181

Let's not over think this. His last name is Trout and he has the personality of a lamp post. It's not some conspiracy.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast