Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    The derby was one of the biggest national baseball stories in years. That changed things quite a bit.

And no one knows who Mike Trout is. Why do you think his endorsement deals don't equal his talent? Because he's unmarketable. It's not because he's a nice, aw shucks kinda guy. It's because he's the media equivalent of oatmeal.
    Actually, a lot of the talking heads and people who are around baseball everyday would say it is because he's a nice, aw shucks kind of guy who just shows up to work and plays baseball. A lot of people want him to take the bull by the horns and be more outspoken and take the leadership mantle that he could grab if he wanted it. But I think he is happy doing what he is doing, and if that's the case, who can argue? He is the only current player with his own shoe, has other national endorsements and is making over $100 million with this contract, and is bound to set the record with his next one.

So you're saying the non-rabid fan could pick Trout's face out of a line-up?
    I think Yankees fans have been jonesing to have a player they can shove down everyone's throats again, honestly. Answer this, if you had Trout and LAA had Judge, what kind of tune would you be singing?

hotdalton18 is offline Jags&Heat&Dodgers&Gators

Aaron Judge: the new face of baseball?

Trout is so much better then Judge all around it's not even funny

But as far as face maybe because of where they play at

2015-16 DPOY

Hassan Whiteside

Quote Originally Posted by CTCUBBIES View Post
    Problem with that?
    No way. I really enjoyed that comment actually.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by hotdalton18 View Post

I think that's certainly a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Actually, a lot of the talking heads and people who are around baseball everyday would say it is because he's a nice, aw shucks kind of guy who just shows up to work and plays baseball. A lot of people want him to take the bull by the horns and be more outspoken and take the leadership mantle that he could grab if he wanted it. But I think he is happy doing what he is doing, and if that's the case, who can argue? He is the only current player with his own shoe, has other national endorsements and is making over $100 million with this contract, and is bound to set the record with his next one.
    Yea, honestly Judge seems very much Troutlike in personality. Neither are the showboating type and prefer to defer and downplay credit.

But Chicks dig the long ball and Judge's sheer size along with the New York/ESPN market in full tilt is really bringing him to the forefront.

Trout would have a better shot at being the face of baseball if he had a better team around him. And since he doesn't have the New York market behind him he kind of just does his thing in relative obscurity.

Judge has so much more working in his favor.

Trout definitely isn't hurting though like you point out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by hotdalton18 View Post

Judge has been Trout level in the first half and the underlying statistics are indicating that's it not really a fluke (even if there will be some regression to his avg).

But obviously From a career perspective Trout's career arc is far more impressive as we're talking bout a guy that looks likely to end up in GOAT discussion when it's all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

I don't think it's his leadership style or anything like that. I just think he's a tremendously bland human with the last name Trout.

I'm not sure what contracts have to do with this thread.

Sorry, guys. It may not be fair, and I get the frustration with that. But Mike Trout is not the face of anything.

And like others have said, it isn't that big a deal, regardless, unless you are the type to be easily annoyed by that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I think Yankees fans have been jonesing to have a player they can shove down everyone's throats again, honestly. Answer this, if you had Trout and LAA had Judge, what kind of tune would you be singing?
    I would probably be saying, wow, look at that Paul Bunyon guy swinging the bat out in L.A. with the sick tag line: All Rise! I hope the MLB markets the hell out of this guy because I like it when a lot of people like baseball, not when I can feel like I'm in an exclusive club.

I don't think it's his leadership style or anything like that. I just think he's a tremendously bland human with the last name Trout.

Sorry, guys. It may not be fair, and I get the frustration with that. But Mike Trout is not the face of anything.

And like others have said, it isn't that big a deal, regardless, unless you are the type to be easily annoyed by that kind of thing.
    You might have missed my point. I brought up his contract, and likely the next one he is getting, to say that, maybe, Trout is happy where he is. People around him are trying to get him to be more outspoken. People in the media want him to be outspoken and take on this leadership/face of MLB role. There is something about Trout where he doesnt want that, and I offered my take on what that could be, and that he is satisfied where he is at right now.

11. 07-16-2017, 07:51 PM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

Trout is certainly the face of the Angels (if nothing else).

I would probably be saying, wow, look at that Paul Bunyon guy swinging the bat out in L.A. with the sick tag line: All Rise! I hope the MLB markets the hell out of this guy because I like it when a lot of people like baseball, not when I can feel like I'm in an exclusive club.
    First time I've ever heard that. Other than that, this post seems fairly hypocritical.

14. 07-16-2017, 07:55 PM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

15. 07-16-2017, 07:55 PM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

You might have missed my point. I brought up his contract, and likely the next one he is getting, to say that, maybe, Trout is happy where he is. People around him are trying to get him to be more outspoken. People in the media want him to be outspoken and take on this leadership/face of MLB role. There is something about Trout where he doesnt want that, and I offered my take on what that could be, and that he is satisfied where he is at right now.
    True. Maybe he likes where is and doesn't want to be the MLB's face. Which he isn't.

True. Maybe he likes where is and doesn't want to be the MLB's face. Which he isn't.
    I would actually argue, and said in previous posts, that MLB has regional faces. For the LA area, thats definitely Kershaw and Trout. In New York and growing, it's for sure Judge. In the DC metro area, it's Manny and Harper. A couple players have the potential to be the face of MLB, but also, MLB needs to make some changes to regain it's national popularity as well.

18. 07-16-2017, 08:19 PM
    Reason
    Off topic - Rush

I would actually argue, and said in previous posts, that MLB has regional faces. For the LA area, thats definitely Kershaw and Trout. In New York and growing, it's for sure Judge. In the DC metro area, it's Manny and Harper. A couple players have the potential to be the face of MLB, but also, MLB needs to make some changes to regain it's national popularity as well.
    Its something that has fluidity as well. 2 years ago in NY it was all about Matt Harvey and Noah Syndergaard. Then last year it was all about Gary Sanchez. If regional faces are changing to that frequency whats the odds it has any staying power nationally? Not to mention, it doesn't translate to the same extent because baseball means less and less on a national level.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-16-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast