Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Drink All Day, Play All Night, Let's Get It Poppin
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    First off...Completely false that they tried to trade Ray every year. That was not a thing.
    http://www.espn.com/boston/nba/story...e-clause-table

Nice attempt at revisionist history.

Quote Originally Posted by AllBall:31752897
    First off...Completely false that they tried to trade Ray every year. That was not a thing.
    http://www.espn.com/boston/nba/story...e-clause-table

Nice attempt at revisionist history.
    Thank you, people swear they know what they are talking about on psd all the time, that's why I've been a member since like 2006 and barley post on this **** anymore

Why would they retire Ray's number? Only Pierce should be up there.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Huh?

Games played #4 in C's history
    Minutes played #3 in C's history
    Points #2 in C's history (behind Havlicek only)
    Points per game #2 in C's history (behind Bird only)
    FT attempted and made #1 in C's history
    Assists #7 in C's history
    Rebounds #7 in C's history
    3pt FG% #10 in C's history
    Triple doubles #4 in C's history

The C's have 21 retired numbers. Pierce ranks top 10 in just about every meaningful stat category in C's history.

Most historians rank Pierce between #5-6 all time in C's history only behind Russell, Bird, Havlicek, McHale and Cowens.

How the HELL is Pierce on the fence?
    +1
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Any other team in the league other than LAL and BOS, all four guys get a jersey retired for what they did.

With Boston, Pierce certainly deserves it, and I think given the number of seasons Rondo played there, he should get it to.

Allen and KG? I say yes, not only because of the title and what they did in Boston, but because they are both HOFers. Having the greatest shooter of all time (at the time.... Curry/Klay now), and the leader in 3pt made (the record being set in Boston), it seems like Allen's deserving in my mind. This wouldn't even be a question for a team like Minny or BK.

KG won DPOY in Boston and a title. And he's likely the second greatest PF to ever play the game. He had better personal stats in Minny, yes, but he saw his most success in Boston.

Having a HOFer win a title on your team, even if they were only in your city for 5 years, that's special. Even by Boston standards.

I mean... DJ only has one All-Star appearance in Boston and played 7 season, none of the at as high a level as Allen. His number is retired. Granted, he has two titles, but played a small role. Ray Allen had 3 All-Star appearance in Boston green.

Tom Sanders never made an All-Star team; he just happened to be on the team when Russell was leading them to titles. That's like James Jones a spot in the HOF because he's one of only two players since Russell retired to make it to 7-straight finals. Same can be said of several of the guys from the 60's. Just being on those teams enshrined them in Bostons' rafters, even if they were bench player.

I realize it is Boston and the bar is set pretty high, but Allen and KG both deserve it.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

What's funny to me about someone thinking this is a big deal is that I don't even remember Allens number when it comes to the Celtics. I remember 34 for the Sonics and Bucks quite a bit though.
    If I drive I'm going to have to have a lot of drinks because I am very self conscious about my driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriors4lyfe12 View Post
    Samhan actually worked out with the warriors in 2010, but elected to go overseas instead of jumping into the NBA to make his game better. Actually i would compare him to a poor mans blake griffin
    Quote Originally Posted by lvdub2741 View Post
    We gave up Monta for a Bogut but we could have kept him gotten someone like Omar Samahan who is just like Bogut and kept Monta.
    Ah, some sports fans

This ain't miami heat.

Secondly...I fail to see how trade rumors impact a number being retired? Pierce was in trade rumors often as well yet he will undoubtedly have his number retired.

Retiring numbers has everything to do with impact on an organization. If you impact or change an organization to an extreme positive, you're going to get your number retired. Pierce clearly did that...Being one of the longest tenured Celtics in history and holding numbers that rank near the top of one of, if not the most, historied franchises in the NBA. More than that, Pierce started his career in one of the worst stretches in Celtic history and played for years on teams that were some of the worst in the NBA, yet he gutted it out and complained little. He took a team on his back to the ECF with the only other player worth anything on the roster was Antowan Walker...Which isn't much help. Pierce's legacy is clearly cemented and his impact cannot be overstated in getting the Celtics to where they are now, back to being one of the top teams in the NBA. Bringing a championship back to Boston after a 30 year drought was the icing on the cake.

Garnett's impact was huge as well. Despite not being the tenured member of the franchise like Pierce, Garnett had the MOST impact on that championship team. Not only was he the best player on the team (putting up an MVP worthy season) and completely changed the culture of the team. A culture that still exists today despite him being gone for nearly 5 years now. That's legacy worthy. Yes, Garnetts best years of his career were elsewhere, but his impact here can still be seen and that is why his number will also be retired. Changing the culture and bringing a championship to the city will land your number in the rafters for eternal glory.

Ray Allen did not have near the impact these other 2 did. Yes he was a key contributor to that championship no doubt. But he wasn't a vocal leader of the team, he wasn't a leading statistical contributor, and in all honestly, he wasn't well liked in the locker room. Yes the fans liked him while he was here, but Boston fans will like any player that succeeds in their arena. But if we're being honest, his role was nothing more than a supporting one on this team. He was part of the "big 3" because he had the name power. But his impact, I don't think, was that much greater than a James Posey or Leon Poe. They had their shining moments, but they did not carry the load. His ungrateful exit and the way he went about it pretty much sealed his fate. Boston is a very loyal city, Allen did not return that favor (which he had every right not to) and the city certainly isn't going to honor his jersey the same way they do to Pierce and Garnett. And I think that's deservedly so.
    @AmicoHoops
    Clippers were THIS close to obtaining Celtics G Ray Allen, says source close to team.
    4:28 PM - 15 Mar 2012
    March 15th, 2012 at 10:39am CST by Luke Adams
    Ray Allen is drawing significant interest from several contending teams, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter). The Celtics have received offers of either a good young player or a first-round pick, and may move Allen if they were offered both a young player and a pick.

GM Danny Ainge told WEEI earlier today that he put the odds of a Celtics trade at 50/50, though he cautioned that the team may just make a small move. A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com reported yesterday that Allen was the most likely Celtic to be moved at the deadline.
    The Celtics are seeking a young player and first-round draft pick in exchange for Ray Allen and that's an asking price that's likely too rich for the Clippers' blood. Even if Los Angeles was willing to meet the C's asking price, the bigger issue is that they don't have a first-round pick in this year's draft.

-Alex Kennedy
    "When [Celtics GM] Danny [Ainge] and I talked about trading for Ray, he wanted Tyler Hansbrough and a first-round pick," Bird said. "If that's the value he's putting on Ray Allen, he ain't getting it. That tells me he's in no hurry to trade him."
    Ray Allen definitely got shopped around by the Celtics.
    "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick

IIRC, the Celtics had a deal in place to trade Ray at the deadline in 2012 but they weren't able to complete all the work necessary to complete it in time.

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

The C's have this fetish when it comes to retiring numbers. They do it for everyone (to a fault).

Pierce is a guarantee to get his 34 retired. There really is no question here.

I think they will retire KG's number too for what he meant to the franchise. He had an MVP type year/impact his first season here. His knee injury robbed the Cs of a likely back to back championship. Overall, his impact and demeanor was the driving force of that Cs team for 6 years. I can see why they would retire his number (though I personally do not think he should have his number retired). .

Allen will not and should not have his number retired. Shortest stint of the big 3 and probably least impactful as far as meaning and impact. Also, burned his bridges leaving Boston (though I was not as offended at him leaving as others were).

I prefer the Raiders approach ... the only "retired" number is 00 because the NFL said no player could use it anymore.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by mavwar53 View Post
    Celtics have too long and rich of a history to retire the jersey of a guy who's best years were elsewhere. He only won 1 championship with them and averaged 16.7 pts, 3.4 Reb and 2.7 Ast.

So why should they retire his number is the best question.
    This. Not like he won league or finals mvp either.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Yea he shouldn't have his number retired.

But that doesn't change the fact that KG/Pierce/Rondo are scumbags and need to get over the fact that Allen left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets012 View Post
    Yea he shouldn't have his number retired.

But that doesn't change the fact that KG/Pierce/Rondo are scumbags and need to get over the fact that Allen left.
    Why do they have to be friends with someone they don't like? As a professional athlete Ray is free to sign where he wants and as human being KG/Pierce/Rondo are free to be offended and have their personal relationships affected by whatever they want.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Nah he was good but can't retire every all star's number.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast