Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).

Hayward wearing 20; Allen's # not being retired: thoughts?

From a Tweet... don't know if this is legit
    https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/sta...15766075404289

I know Allen and Boston parted ways on bad terms, and though a lot of Boston fans and players side with Boston, it seem, as an outsider, that Allen was perfectly within his rights to leave and take issue with how the franchise treated him.

That said, Jesus Shuttlesworth is a HOF player who was a key piece to a title Boston has, and while the bar may be a little higher in Boston when it comes to getting a number retired given the franchise's legacy, it seems like holding off on giving that number away and trying to mend fences is the right thing to do. And that number 20 should be up in the rafters with Allen's name on it.

Beef or no beef.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Why would Boston retire Ray Allens number? Seems a bit a stretch

Did they retire kg's number? They prob shouldn't have to begin with, but if they did, then I kinda see the argument for retiring Allens too

When KG forgives Allen then Boston can forgive him to.

Celtics have too long and rich of a history to retire the jersey of a guy who's best years were elsewhere. He only won 1 championship with them and averaged 16.7 pts, 3.4 Reb and 2.7 Ast.

So why should they retire his number is the best question.
    If I drive I'm going to have to have a lot of drinks because I am very self conscious about my driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriors4lyfe12 View Post
    Samhan actually worked out with the warriors in 2010, but elected to go overseas instead of jumping into the NBA to make his game better. Actually i would compare him to a poor mans blake griffin
    Quote Originally Posted by lvdub2741 View Post
    We gave up Monta for a Bogut but we could have kept him gotten someone like Omar Samahan who is just like Bogut and kept Monta.
    Ah, some sports fans

Lol, hell no, he didn't do much and did not play long with the team to deserve that. Clown pierce may be the only one that deserves it out of the big 3, may be KG too.

"Killer Instinct"

He was a big part of that team but was past his prime and wasn't there long he doesn't deserve his # retired in Boston. Seattle more imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    He was a big part of that team but was past his prime and wasn't there long he doesn't deserve his # retired in Boston. Seattle more imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    that boy was FILTHY in Seattle, he used to take it to the rack all day

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Why would Boston retire Ray Allens number? Seems a bit a stretch

Did they retire kg's number? They prob shouldn't have to begin with, but if they did, then I kinda see the argument for retiring Allens too
    KG will get retired. He was DPOY and pretty much the MVP of the championship team throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    KG will get retired. He was DPOY and pretty much the MVP of the championship team throughout the year.
    I see ur a Boston fan, so if they retire kg and ur happy about it then more power to you, but from an outsider perspective I would find that odd as hell. He was a sav in Boston, but the man was clearly a diff animal in minny, he was legit MVP caliber (I think he won one actually) top handful player in the league. I remember him straight carrying that team at times

Never understood the hate against Ray Allen, the Celtics, dangled him in trade talks every year and they would have traded him if the right deal came along. Ray Allen made the best choice for his career at the time, garnett and pierce are just salty af.

Another thing that kills me (unrelated) while I respect that Kevin Durant chose to go where he wanted because it was his right, he *****ed about Miami and got childish when Reggie Jackson switched teams, but he ended up doing the same **** kills me

Quote Originally Posted by zadora5 View Post
    Never understood the hate against Ray Allen, the Celtics, dangled him in trade talks every year and they would have traded him if the right deal came along. Ray Allen made the best choice for his career at the time, garnett and pierce are just salty af.

Another thing that kills me (unrelated) while I respect that Kevin Durant chose to go where he wanted because it was his right, he *****ed about Miami and got childish when Reggie Jackson switched teams, but he ended up doing the same **** kills me
    First off...Completely false that they tried to trade Ray every year. That was not a thing.

Secondly...I fail to see how trade rumors impact a number being retired? Pierce was in trade rumors often as well yet he will undoubtedly have his number retired.

Retiring numbers has everything to do with impact on an organization. If you impact or change an organization to an extreme positive, you're going to get your number retired. Pierce clearly did that...Being one of the longest tenured Celtics in history and holding numbers that rank near the top of one of, if not the most, historied franchises in the NBA. More than that, Pierce started his career in one of the worst stretches in Celtic history and played for years on teams that were some of the worst in the NBA, yet he gutted it out and complained little. He took a team on his back to the ECF with the only other player worth anything on the roster was Antowan Walker...Which isn't much help. Pierce's legacy is clearly cemented and his impact cannot be overstated in getting the Celtics to where they are now, back to being one of the top teams in the NBA. Bringing a championship back to Boston after a 30 year drought was the icing on the cake.

Garnett's impact was huge as well. Despite not being the tenured member of the franchise like Pierce, Garnett had the MOST impact on that championship team. Not only was he the best player on the team (putting up an MVP worthy season) and completely changed the culture of the team. A culture that still exists today despite him being gone for nearly 5 years now. That's legacy worthy. Yes, Garnetts best years of his career were elsewhere, but his impact here can still be seen and that is why his number will also be retired. Changing the culture and bringing a championship to the city will land your number in the rafters for eternal glory.

Ray Allen did not have near the impact these other 2 did. Yes he was a key contributor to that championship no doubt. But he wasn't a vocal leader of the team, he wasn't a leading statistical contributor, and in all honestly, he wasn't well liked in the locker room. Yes the fans liked him while he was here, but Boston fans will like any player that succeeds in their arena. But if we're being honest, his role was nothing more than a supporting one on this team. He was part of the "big 3" because he had the name power. But his impact, I don't think, was that much greater than a James Posey or Leon Poe. They had their shining moments, but they did not carry the load. His ungrateful exit and the way he went about it pretty much sealed his fate. Boston is a very loyal city, Allen did not return that favor (which he had every right not to) and the city certainly isn't going to honor his jersey the same way they do to Pierce and Garnett. And I think that's deservedly so.

City of Champions

Simply no. We are not the Miami heat. Look at the numbers in the rafters and the lore behind the numbers. I love ray ray but he didn't do enough. Honestly I love kg as well and don't think his number should be up there as well

Really pierce is in the fence as well
    One More Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Rhody View Post
    Simply no. We are not the Miami heat. Look at the numbers in the rafters and the lore behind the numbers. I love ray ray but he didn't do enough. Honestly I love kg as well and don't think his number should be up there as well

Really pierce is in the fence as well
    Huh?

Games played #4 in C's history
    Minutes played #3 in C's history
    Points #2 in C's history (behind Havlicek only)
    Points per game #2 in C's history (behind Bird only)
    FT attempted and made #1 in C's history
    Assists #7 in C's history
    Rebounds #7 in C's history
    3pt FG% #10 in C's history
    Triple doubles #4 in C's history

The C's have 21 retired numbers. Pierce ranks top 10 in just about every meaningful stat category in C's history.

Most historians rank Pierce between #5-6 all time in C's history only behind Russell, Bird, Havlicek, McHale and Cowens.

How the HELL is Pierce on the fence?

City of Champions

Paul Pierce is the only one of the "big 3" that deserves his number hanging from the rafters.

PROCESSING

Pierce will obviously have his retired. KG gets his retired for the culture he brought with him. He was only a transcendent player with Boston for a year and a half until his knee injury but he was a transcendent presence for all 6 years.

If Ray left on better terms he'd get his number retired with those guys in a big ceremony even though he doesn't deserve it. But with the drama that's unfolded they'll get their numbers retired and he won't.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast