Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: De minimis

De minimis

de min·i·mis
    dā ˈminiˌmēs/
    adjective
    too trivial or minor to merit consideration, especially in law.
    "de minimis fringe benefit rules"
    Apparently this is the phrase Sandy used to describe the importance of defense.

I dunno. Seems the more outs you dont make in the field, the more chances you give batters and the more stress you put on your own pitchers.

Bad philosophy IMO
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Context?
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Well if that's the case then continue to expect the ram to fall short of their goal unless the pitchers all are dominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

De minimis

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

I dunno. Seems the more outs you dont make in the field, the more chances you give batters and the more stress you put on your own pitchers.

Bad philosophy IMO
    I see defense as way higher of a priority at the premier positions.

Having an excellent defending CFer, SS, and Catcher is incredibly value and has been for decades...

Being strong up the middle makes everyone sooooo much better defensively. Makes your corner guys concentrate more on the lines when they trust the range of the CF...

Having a SS that dazzle you will pump up your whole team, and especially, your pitcher.

And let's not kid ourselves...our team blows at holding runners on first in big running situations. That one base is equivalent to needing only one single as opposed to two singles to score a run.

(Not to mention all the pitchers feeling like they have to strike out the world every batter...leading to higher pitch counts...leading to way more dependence on you bullpen...

I do NOT agree with his philosophy there at all. Gimme Lagares in Center, Rosario at SS, and a legit defending backstop like Lucroy (I don't care if he had a down year offensively, should only make it more possible for us)...get your offensive production at the other positions. Thank you. End Rant.)

Last edited by n8ghee; 07-14-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Bad philosophy IMO
    Yeah that blew me away. What a ridiculous statement. Defense is the reason we lost the WS in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Yeah that blew me away. What a ridiculous statement. Defense is the reason we lost the WS in 2015.
    Yep. Not Familia in my opinion, either.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.

Bad philosophy IMO
    I never heard of this De minimis. Thinking the way I think, I immediately thought it had something to do with the length of a man's manhood......
    Nothing Like Working Out On A Fitball

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!
    Mets Dieharder Since '63

Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.

Bad philosophy IMO
    On a more serious note, we both know it's pitching, defense and clutch hitting. SA's statement minimizing defense is a recipe for long-term failure.

Case in point, 2015 World Series. KC Royals showing how it's done; Metsies how it's not and why we lost.
    Nothing Like Working Out On A Fitball

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!
    Mets Dieharder Since '63

Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

De minimis

Next year we will have Cespedes and Conforto in corner OF spots and very likely a more legit defensive CFer. Rosario and Smith will be in the IF, and I suspect we will be stronger in the backstop as well.

Whatever he says in sound bites I think the team is likely to improve quite a bit defensively in 2018
    anyway.

And he is right that the biggest part of defense is your pitching.

Don't worry. He's got this.

I dont know whete ppl are going with this but all he was saying was that when it comes to run prevention, pitching is a greater factor than defense.

And it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I dont know whete ppl are going with this but all he was saying was that when it comes to run prevention, pitching is a greater factor than defense.

And it is.
    Unless your pitchers routinely strike out 15 + a game, you can't have one without the other.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Unless your pitchers routinely strike out 15 + a game, you can't have one without the other.
    From what i saw he did not say defense was not important. I heard him say it was important but that pitching itself had greater effect on run orevention. Thus my prior request for context.

I dont think you even know as you wrote "apparently". Until the full context is known I would not judge what he said.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 07-15-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    From what i saw he did not say defense was not important. I heard him say it was important but that pitching itself had greater effect on run orevention. Thus my prior request for context.

I dont think you even know as you wrote "apparently". Until the full context is known I would not judge what he said.
    Gary Cohen last night relayed a conversation he had with Sandy. According to Cohen, he asked Sandy about the priority of improving the team's defense, to which he invoked the phrase "de minimis," which is a very fancy way of saying "it doesn't matter."

But Gotta makes a fair point. Rosario and Smith will improve the team defensively at short and first. Still, Duda isn't killing them defensively and even TJ can play a decent first base. And while i agree we'll most likely upgrade defensively in center, I'm not so sure about third.

Let's just say i wasn't thrilled at Sandy's choice of words.

Gary Cohen last night relayed a conversation he had with Sandy. According to Cohen, he asked Sandy about the priority of improving the team's defense, to which he invoked the phrase "de minimis," which is a very fancy way of saying "it doesn't matter."
    No context.

Let's say someone asks him if he blames the defense for the Mets inability to win games. Now we have context. He explains that in the context of lousy pitching, better defense doesn't mean jack **** because the pitching has been that horrendous.

It also contradicts what he said in the press conference -- where he said does matter, but that pitching matters more. So maybe he wanted to clarify misrepresentations by others.

Last edited by Dugmet; 07-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast