• ???Mystery Team???

3 8.57%
  • Portland Trailblazers

2 5.71%
  • Oklahoma City Thunder

1 2.86%
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KnickaBocka.44 View Post
    You're absolutely right. And ever since then we have been stuck committing 1/4+ of our cap space to a player that would be impossible to consistently build a contender around even if he took a massive payout.

To your second point, of course not. But that didn't stop Melo and his camp from leaking rumors that he would leave. That's what forced Phil to give him, what has ended up to be, almost complete control of his situation. I'm pretty sure we would have been over the cap, or just around it, if he hadn't re-signed. In hindsight, letting him walk then might've been a blessing in disguise, or at least doing a S&T. But as I said before, Phil couldn't let that be his first defining move.
    Well, this NTC has ended up being a major road block for this team. It's unfortunate that Phil didn't have the foresight to plan for a situation in which Melo might have to be traded.

Sometimes you need to call a player's bluff. Again, I can't recall exactly but I don't remember any reports of other teams willing to max him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    I'm sure the NTC was a demand from Melo's side.
    Undoubtedly it was, but it doesn't mean that you have to cave to every single demand. What are negotiations for?
    I mean you speak as if you were there during the negotiations haha. We obviously don't know what back and forth led to this. Weren't both Houston and Chicago able to offer close to the max over 4 years? As the ******** team, makes sense we would need to offer more. Now whether keeping him at all was a good decision or not is another story. Anyways hindsight is awesome like that.
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

I haven't read this whole thread.

Truth is, I haven't followed the Knicks too closely since D'Antoni and Lin were forced out.

I was appalled when Anthony forced the Knicks to trade 4 of the starting 5 for him, when he could have just signed here as a free agent. His mere arrival here depleted the talent and trade chips enormously.

Still, the team managed to win - in his absence. D'Antoni's system makes point guards great and Lin shined as long as he was allowed. After Anthony purged the team and took over as The Man, I found the team hard to watch.

So now another front office has been deposed before it could put the pieces together to succeed. In a vacuum I'm sure Phil Jackson would have just rebuilt upon arriving, rather than sign free agents to play around Anthony. I'm sure this didn't help Jackson build the team he wanted.

A question: why would D'Antoni want to acquire Carmelo? He's already publicly blamed Anthony for getting him fired. After winning Coach of the Year, I'd think he'd have veto power over this toxic jerk. I wouldn't want to be "reunited" with Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    I mean you speak as if you were there during the negotiations haha. We obviously don't know what back and forth led to this. Weren't both Houston and Chicago able to offer close to the max over 4 years? As the ******** team, makes sense we would need to offer more. Now whether keeping him at all was a good decision or not is another story. Anyways hindsight is awesome like that.
    Yes, we could always offer more because the last few CBA's have lended themselves towards smaller market teams being able to retain players by being able to offer more in salary. But because the team was injury riddled and poorly constructed Melo ended up being the only star we had and because he held us hostage, we had to either give in to his demands or risk losing our only marketable player.

If there was ever a time for Melo to sacrifice and make good on the fact that he made us relinquish every player in the trade to get him, it was that year. And instead of doing what KD did this year, he decided to hold as at gunpoint.

I honestly can't blame him. Amare croaking and the Billups/Chandler fiasco sealed his fate early on in his tenure here.

I'm far from a Melo hater, I've said many times that I'll root for whatever team he ends up on.

But when given the chance, he's never done the franchise any favors so I see no reason to do him one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    Well, this NTC has ended up being a major road block for this team. It's unfortunate that Phil didn't have the foresight to plan for a situation in which Melo might have to be traded.

Sometimes you need to call a player's bluff. Again, I can't recall exactly but I don't remember any reports of other teams willing to max him.
    I agree. Hindsight is 20/20 and it just goes to show that Phil was committed to building around Melo and it just wasn't possible given the limited assets he was left to deal with.

Objectively though, I feel most GM's would probably make the same choice if they were faced with losing their star player.

Looking back, it probably would've been better to let him walk and go full tank mode at that point. Interesting to think who we might have and where we'd be now. But that's all mental masturbation.

At the end of the day, I don't really blame Melo for doing what he did because if we are all being honest, he was never going to win a championship here or anywhere in the eras of the Lakers/Spurs/Lebron. Get it how you live and #StayMe7o, but for the 200 Millie's or so we've paid him, he could at least cut us some slack and expand the teams he'd go to so we can get some kind of market for him.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post

Truth is, I haven't followed the Knicks too closely since D'Antoni and Lin were forced out.

I was appalled when Anthony forced the Knicks to trade 4 of the starting 5 for him, when he could have just signed here as a free agent. His mere arrival here depleted the talent and trade chips enormously.

Still, the team managed to win - in his absence. D'Antoni's system makes point guards great and Lin shined as long as he was allowed. After Anthony purged the team and took over as The Man, I found the team hard to watch.

So now another front office has been deposed before it could put the pieces together to succeed. In a vacuum I'm sure Phil Jackson would have just rebuilt upon arriving, rather than sign free agents to play around Anthony. I'm sure this didn't help Jackson build the team he wanted.

A question: why would D'Antoni want to acquire Carmelo? He's already publicly blamed Anthony for getting him fired. After winning Coach of the Year, I'd think he'd have veto power over this toxic jerk. I wouldn't want to be "reunited" with Anthony.
    His star guards want Melo. It is unfortunately no longer a team based league. The players have a ton of say which is great for them but not so much for the fans.
    I think Melo will be a wrench in Dantoni's system if he goes there.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Houston put up a billboard for Melo and Chicago was all over him. I think it's safe to say Melo was getting maxed wherever he decided to sign.

Well Melo, according to this press conference we learned a few things.
    1. This team will be expected to play HARD
    2. This team will be expected to play DEFENSE
    3. Trade must work for the KNICKS
    4. YOU ARE NOT GETTING RELEASED
    5. No timetable either - get comfortable buddy.
    6. With or without you, this team is about young guys and their development

Translation - Get Houston to up that offer.
    Last edited by teddygreen17; 07-17-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Houston put up a billboard for Melo and Chicago was all over him. I think it's safe to say Melo was getting maxed wherever he decided to sign.
    Probably, but he stuck around because we could offer the most

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post

Oh. I thought Phil signed Melo to that contract instead of a sign and trade to Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    Well Melo, according to this press conference we learned a few things.
    1. This team will be expected to play HARD
    2. This team will be expected to play DEFENSE
    3. Trade must work for the KNICKS
    4. YOU ARE NOT GETTING RELEASED
    5. No timetable either - get comfortable buddy.
    6. With or without you, this team is about young guys and their development

Translation - Get Houston to up that offer.
    I Luv it.

Yes, we could always offer more because the last few CBA's have lended themselves towards smaller market teams being able to retain players by being able to offer more in salary. But because the team was injury riddled and poorly constructed Melo ended up being the only star we had and because he held us hostage, we had to either give in to his demands or risk losing our only marketable player.

If there was ever a time for Melo to sacrifice and make good on the fact that he made us relinquish every player in the trade to get him, it was that year. And instead of doing what KD did this year, he decided to hold as at gunpoint.

I honestly can't blame him. Amare croaking and the Billups/Chandler fiasco sealed his fate early on in his tenure here.

I'm far from a Melo hater, I've said many times that I'll root for whatever team he ends up on.

But when given the chance, he's never done the franchise any favors so I see no reason to do him one now.
    As a fan I want him to do the franchise a favor but as a business man he should not. Example Colin Capernick opted out of his deal with SF. Where has that got him? Unemployed without a check. His agent should have been tarred and feathered

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Probably, but he stuck around because we could offer the most
    Conjecture bro. Why pretend to know what a guy making hundreds of millions of dollars thinks?
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

If Melo wants, expects, asks for a buy out...tell ya what...go rot on the bench. And I hope some knucklehead dumps a $25 beer on him.

MPH went dark after all his false reporting.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast